Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 23,536 times

Advertisements

Did one of those silly things misstepping on a small carpet rolled so it was about an inch off the floor. Stepped wrong and rolled my foot bad 8 weeks ago.

Didn't go to the doctor as I felt nothing broken. Did all the correct things, elevated, iced, stayed in bed, after a few days made sure I rotated it back and forth for the motion etc.

I babied it for a month really staying off of it -- used crutches first week.

When I started walking on it the outer side Fibula hurt and still does. Now I feel the bone and it feels like a big lump on it whereas the right side unhurt ankle is smooth in this area. (It's just above that round bone on the outside of your ankle).

It doesn't hurt so much that I can't stand it or take any pain killer. It just feels like something's out of whack and it's a pinching kind of pain when I walk or move it. Obviously I can't stand on my left foot and raise myself with the one foot---get an inch off the floor.

Now I'm concerned that the bone fractured or something and I've left it out of kilter for 2 months. Can't see the dr until 9/16 at KAISER. Anyone care to comment on what I've done or why it's enlarged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
I can empathize with you.

I fractured a fibula quite a few years ago. I also did a good bit of soft tissue damage and had a lot of bruising and swelling. I saw an orthopedist and wore a cast for a few weeks just to make it easier to walk so I could work. it healed fine and I have had no problems since.

You may have a healing fracture. If so, it's likely that a doc would not have recommended anything different from what you did. Mine only put the cast on for my convenience, really.

It's also possible that you still have some bruising around the bone, like when you bump your shin and get a goose egg.

Since it is still giving you trouble, seeing the doctor is a good idea but I think everything will be fine in the long run. Let us know what he says.

Hope it feels better soon.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-05-2011 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Fix typos

Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 23,536 times
I saw the Dr.'s Assistant at Kaiser. He didn't look at or touch the ankle. Just asked if I wanted a cast or keep the boot--I took boot. He said stay off of it totally...foot up in bed or foot up in recliner--come back in 3-4 weeks. This was on the 9th of Sept and I have totally followed his instruction. I realize I walked on the break for 3 months...I work from home so it was minimal but it slowed down healing I guess. The part that has me concerned is the bump on the outside just above the regular round bone at the outer ankle. It's like a little ledge..your finger can't run straight down the bone..it has to go over the little ledge. As of yesterday I got a call from my regular doctor's nurse. She said that it is most likely tissue that's inflammed and only time will tell if it goes down. If the ankle has been healing a "titch" out of alignment then I guess I'm stuck with the bump. Since that area is so thin skinned I guess I don't see where this "possible tissue bump" comes from? Is this tissue building on the outer edge of the bone? The fracture was like a 7 laying on it's side....just above that shin bone it broke and so that part of the fracture is up and down and then goes across at an angle. I guess what I'm trying to say is since that area isn't really fleshy what does it have to work with to make a bump or inflammation?

I have an appt on 10/12 for a follow up.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 15,773 times
I coach youth rugby and continually deal with players suffering from ankle injuries or various degrees. Normal cause is ligament damage and usually has players off their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness