Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:07 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,536,952 times

Advertisements

https://theindychannel.com/news/call...h-side-effects

Quote:
In addition to Levaquin, the fluoroquinolone drug class includes:

Cipro (ciprofloxacin)
Ciprofloxacin extended-release tablets
Avelox (moxifloxacin)
Ofloxacin
Factive (gemifloxacin)
Baxdela (delafloxacin)
60+ generic versions
Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are only indicated to treat serious bacterial infections, such as pneumonia. However, they have been widely overprescribed and their potentially serious side effects have left many to wonder whether the risks associated with fluoroquinolones outweigh their benefits.
https://rxinjuryhelp.com/news/2018/0...-effects-grew/

https://empr.com/safety-alerts-and-r...rticle/779706/

Directly from the FDA:
https://fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/Safe.../ucm612979.htm

These very popular antibiotics are over prescribed. READ THE WARNINGS which are the most severe warnings the FDA put out, short of recalling a product. Take charge of your own health and health care. Ask for an alternative if prescribed a fluoroquinolone. I mean, very occasionally they are warranted but overall they are very over prescribed.

They're over prescribed because they work - but you can also kill a mouse with a flame thrower, or enforce a curfew with carpet bombing. Is the collateral damage worth it? Think long and hard before taking these risks if something else would work. That's the FDA's advice, not mine.

Please pass this information along via social media, conversations, etc. People need to know about this.

Don't think it could never happen to you, either. I am a very healthy, very active middle aged woman with NO bone loss, high calcium levels, no arthritis, on zero prescriptions, good weight, etc etc. I am in better physical condition than most women my age is my point. And yet, I'm facing my third surgery after taking ONE WEEK OF CIPRO. It's been debilitating, painful, and definitely life altering - and the sad thing is, I didn't even need to take that drug. It was as a PRECAUTION and I didn't even have any sort of infection. I just took it because my doctor prescribed it. Never again will I be so complacent or compliant.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,644,584 times
K.A. You didn't need it but took it as a Precaution to What? This is pretty shocking and thank goodness I've escaped this class of abx drugs. jam

Old 07-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
K.A. You didn't need it but took it as a Precaution to What? This is pretty shocking and thank goodness I've escaped this class of abx drugs. jam
It is commonly prescribed if a person has kidney stones, to avoid the chance of a kidney or bladder infection. JUST SAY NO. Drink lots of water! Take a less potent antibiotic. Avoid these drugs unless you have no other options! They have their place, just like nuclear weapons and great white sharks have their place in this world.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,980,983 times
Blame the medical practitioners who ignored the black box warning. Cipro et al. have carried a black box warning since 2008. Even though patients are now alleging additional serious side effects, the initial black box warning should have been adequate to warn practitioners that the drug should only be prescribed when a less risky antibiotic is available.

I guess this is a good reminder that patients might want to take a peek at the drug's insert, as well.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Blame the medical practitioners who ignored the black box warning. Cipro et al. have carried a black box warning since 2008. Even though patients are now alleging additional serious side effects, the initial black box warning should have been adequate to warn practitioners that the drug should only be prescribed when a less risky antibiotic is available.

I guess this is a good reminder that patients might want to take a peek at the drug's insert, as well.
Yes. And the FDA CONTINUES to INCREASE the warnings for these drugs - and many medical practitioners seem oblivious to the dangers. So it's up to us, folks - READ THE INSERTS, ASK QUESTIONS - heck, google a drug while you are sitting in front of your doctor and be sure they can justify the risks associated with a prescription. They may not like that we question them but so what - it's our body, not theirs.

The FDA has ordered it's most serious warning on these drugs since 2008 and since then the FDA has ADDED more warnings and possible side effects, including the latest addition which was just a few days ago. DOCTORS, PATIENTS, PAY ATTENTION.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,766,339 times
Thanks for the important info, KA...

Old 07-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks for the important info, KA...
You are very welcome. If I can save one person from harm, the effort is worth it. These drugs are fraught with potential problems. I know they can save lives too, but they should be a last resort, not the first thing doctors prescribe.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:32 PM

9,806 posts, read 7,627,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
https://theindychannel.com/news/call...h-side-effects

And yet, I'm facing my third surgery after taking ONE WEEK OF CIPRO. It's been debilitating, painful, and definitely life altering - and the sad thing is, I didn't even need to take that drug. It was as a PRECAUTION and I didn't even have any sort of infection. I just took it because my doctor prescribed it. Never again will I be so complacent or compliant.
So sorry to hear this KA! I hope this third surgery works and is the last one you need.

Thanks for the warning.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:02 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,578,944 times
WOW, thanks for posting this, KA. I took Cipro for my kidney stones after the litho treatment. I think I refused it last time it was prescribed.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this! Antibiotics are so over-prescribed!

Old 07-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
WOW, thanks for posting this, KA. I took Cipro for my kidney stones after the litho treatment. I think I refused it last time it was prescribed.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this! Antibiotics are so over-prescribed!
Thank you - keep refusing it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.