U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:59 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,342,346 times

Advertisements

I went to an ER 8 weeks ago for a minor eye infection and spent about an hour there. I then got a bill from the hospital for about $200.

I just got a second bill for about the same amount, and it says in the "fine print" on the back that you are billed for an ER visit once by the hospital and once by the actual doctor you saw. This is explained on the back as if a lot of people asked questions about this one point.

Is this was usually happens when you visit an ER, you are billed twice?

I also went to an ER in 2009 but I only remember being billed once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I went to an ER 8 weeks ago for a minor eye infection and spent about an hour there. I then got a bill from the hospital for about $200.

I just got a second bill for about the same amount, and it says in the "fine print" on the back that you are billed for an ER visit once by the hospital and once by the actual doctor you saw. This is explained on the back as if a lot of people asked questions about this one point.

Is your insurance company processing this? What will be your out of pocket?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM

8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
Quote:

Yup. You get a bill from the hospital and then you get a bill from the ER doc.

This is why you don't go to the ER. Go to a walkin clinic if you can't get to your PCP.

ER's are for EMERGENCY'S only and I wish they could turn away patients who show up for things that can be handled by a walkin clinic or can wait until their PCP opens.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,342,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is your insurance company processing this? What will be your out of pocket?
Most of it was below my deductible.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Most of it was below my deductible.
It's December and you haven't met your deductible yet? (or did your annual cycle start recently?)

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yup. You get a bill from the hospital and then you get a bill from the ER doc.

This is why you don't go to the ER. Go to a walkin clinic if you can't get to your PCP.

ER's are for EMERGENCY'S only and I wish they could turn away patients who show up for things that can be handled by a walkin clinic or can wait until their PCP opens.
A lot of cities (like mine) don't have a walk-in clinic, but there are two full-fledged hospitals.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Orphan is just coincidence that both amounts are the same. You get 2 bills, as the above explanation stated.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 AM

8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A lot of cities (like mine) don't have a walk-in clinic, but there are two full-fledged hospitals.

Don't they have doctor's offices that can handle non ER issues? And I'm sure within driving distance, you'd find one

Old 12-09-2011, 07:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times
I have always received two bills whenever a family member has been to the ER. Many hospitals do not employ physicians. Example: The ER physicians at our local hospital are employed by a private physician group. The physician group has a contract with the hospital to provide the physicians, and the agency bills patients directly for the physician services. By that same token, if you are admitted to the hospital to have your appendix removed, you can probably expect a bill from the hospital for use of the operating room, nurse services, your room, food, etc. You might also get a bill from from the surgeon who did your surgery, and another bill from the anesthesiologist who pit you to sleep. My wife had a C-Section last year, and all of the aforementioned entities politely asked us for their share of the pie. Makes me wonder if we'll start getting billed for the food and housekeeping services in the foreseeable future. :-)

On the other hand, urgent care clinics often have better prices. Since they often employ doctors, you are might be more likely to get one bill for all the services rendered.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,486,058 times
It's called professional and facility billing. You will get two bills if your insurance doesn't cover both with a single copay.

Welcome to American health services. This happens pretty much in every hospital in the US. It's odd both are the same, but not unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness