U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 05:46 AM

13,251 posts, read 10,641,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tttilly54 View Post
My mother-in-law says she does not need the Tdap To be around my infant because she had whooping cough as a child...she also said her doctor refuses to give it to her because she has high blood pressure...she also says...she bever to have tetnus because she got a high fever when she had the shot approximately 40 years ago...I am afraid to haver her neat my new born baby

I just wanted to chime in that our pharmaceutical companies do not make vaccines like they did 40 years ago. Virtually every day at work there is some change in the procedure to help safeguard the public. Many of these changes are dictated by the FDA in our bible: CGMP (which stands for: Current Good Manufacturing Processes: Facts About the Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMPs)). Although costly; it is in our best interest and the survival of our company depends on following procedures and doing the job right the first time.

So, when your mother complained about the one shot 40 years ago; today's shot is not made the same way. I also remember the sore arm and fever from these vaccinations 40 or 50 years ago. Everything in the pharmaceutical industry changes and if we can do a better job; we will. About 30/40 years ago there was one major change in the raw material used for making tetanus vaccine. That led to safer vaccines without many of the adverse reactions. I had the tetanus vaccination last summer with no problems - we don't like problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 10:45 AM

21,579 posts, read 26,233,109 times
Quote:
My mother-in-law says she does not need the Tdap To be around my infant because she had whooping cough as a child...she also said her doctor refuses to give it to her because she has high blood pressure...she also says...she bever to have tetnus because she got a high fever when she had the shot approximately 40 years ago...I am afraid to haver her neat my new born baby
Your mother-in-law can safely take the Tdap unless she actually had an allergic reaction (fever is not an allergic reaction) to any of the three vaccines in it. High blood pressure is not a contraindication to getting the vaccine. She needs a different doctor.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 PM

85,051 posts, read 99,018,950 times
Quote:
Immunity to whooping cough disease lasts 20 years max. She should get the Tdap as others have said. I do agree that talking to the ped is a good idea; it may go over better if you say, "My pediatrician says. . . ".
Duration of immunity against pertussis after natural infection or vaccination. - PubMed - NCBI

Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 PM

21,579 posts, read 26,233,109 times
Another option, if the mother-in-law insists she cannot take the Tdap, is to get a pertussis titer drawn. Doing that would probably cost more than the vaccine, though.

Tdap Titer Test

Old 06-28-2016, 12:59 AM

56 posts, read 23,741 times
Tetanus-prone injuries are those that are in depth or are infected with dust or soil. If you are uncertain about when you got your final tetanus shot, it is enough to be secure and get another shot than sorry. If it is for the case of the baby then Parents Need to follow it.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM

983 posts, read 700,565 times
You could also not let your MIL be around the baby until she shows proof of current vaccinations. Of course, that might stir things up with her, but if you are concerned about your baby's health, you might consider it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness