U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM

34,526 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

I need it to stop, and I need it fixed NOW. MRI is scheduled for next week and if laser surgery is an option I'm jumping on it. I'm miserable right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:57 PM

5,843 posts, read 8,423,141 times
I have it and it comes and goes. I elected NOT to do any type of surgery, injections, etc etc because of everything I read that said it won't help. I have changed my sleeping position and also do some exercises every so often. I found the exercises on the web. In addition, I started Schiff glucosomine daily. I also walk daily whether or not it hurts. I have to say that, while its not gone, it is better.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:38 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,829,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I need it to stop, and I need it fixed NOW. MRI is scheduled for next week and if laser surgery is an option I'm jumping on it. I'm miserable right now.
I was scheduled for surgery. It was scheduled for 6-7 weeks after I had an MRI and saw the neurosurgeon. My primary care physician ordered physical therapy and I did that three times a week. The sciatica lasted 2 months. The pain peaked to the point that I was unable to sleep at all one night. I don't think any of the PT therapies helped very much. Around a week before surgery I was feeling better and ran for about 5 minutes on a treadmill at one of my PT appts. I pushed myself to run outside a few times and decided to cancel the surgery. I was 46 at the time and had been running a lot for 6 years. I did a lot of research on back surgery at the time and the medical research indicated that outcomes were no better with or without surgery. I would check this website (and others) for the lastest research. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Home

The best advice I found was to try to be as active as you possibly can. During part of that two months, this meant walking to the end of my driveway to get my mail.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:35 PM

2,581 posts, read 3,140,332 times
Agree with the above post. Avoid surgery at all costs.

The data shows that patients who get surgery do not get any better then those that don't get surgery.

I have sciatica.

Have you had a course of intensive physical therapy yet? That is certainly the place to start. Try not to go to a small private PT place. Find a major medical hospital or even better, a major rehab hospital and do PT there. The results will be better. Do the home exercise program religiously.

Have you tried neuropathic pain meds? At least a trial of Neurontin and nortriptyline?

I've seen too many poor surgical outcomes....

Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 AM

2,581 posts, read 3,140,332 times
And laser surgery is not a common/routine treatment for this, so I would be very suspicious of any surgeon recommending this. I would carefully ask them how many patients had had it, what their outcomes were, and then if they seemed "too good to be true" - ask them to explain why other surgeons aren't using lasers and why the published data shows surgery isn't very helpful.

I have found too many surgeons just want to do surgery.... regardless of the outcome.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:00 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,083,086 times
I would consider surgery as an absolute last resort. I have just recently come out of another round of physical therapy for sciatica and low back pain. The stretching exercises they taught me are key and must be done routinely, or I stiffen up and can barely walk. While I was going to PT, I alternated between therapy sessions in the gym and in their hydro pool. I must say that the exercises I did in the pool were much easier on my body while doing them, but I really did feel the results afterwards.

I wish I could continue PT forever, but my insurance company limits the dollar amount per year, and I can't afford to keep paying the 20% of regular visits either. Since I don't believe there's really any more they can do for me, I decided to join the Y and to continue to do my exercises here at home and there in the pool. Also going to take some of the gentler senior classes to see if I can increase my muscle tone and flexibility.

I've also found that changing my diet and avoiding foods that cause inflammation goes a long way in helping reduce the amount of pain I feel on any given day.

My greatest frustration is never knowing for sure how I'm going to feel from one day to the next. It really makes it difficult to plan things sometimes!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 4,702,479 times
For me it also comes and goes. So far I take ibuprofen for inflamation and started glucosomine
just recently. I limp sometimes, sometimes not. It hasn't been as bad as some folks are experiencing
but I hope I don't end up needing any surgery.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:37 PM

725 posts, read 1,320,922 times
Did the Dr. ever suggest that you take Vitamin B6 and other vitamins?
Did you research the subject on the internet?
Do so, you may find some simple easy things to help it.
Surgery, to my mind, is pretty drastic.

Also you should have the alignment of your frame checked.
This can cause a lot of such problems, and can be corrected.
Also - do you have flat feet?
This can throw the alignment of your spine out of balance and cause problems.
Also correctable.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
I'd also suggest avoiding surgery if possible - I've had back issues on and off my entire life as well. I'd look into anything and everything before considering surgery....

Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I had it 3 years ago, got an MRI, went to a pain doctor, who talked about steroid shot. I asked about Physical Therapy, he said Fine, see if that works. It did. Two days a week at the PT clinic for about 6 weeks, simple no-sweat exercises at home every day, in two months the symptoms were almost completely gone. One or two mild flareups since then, but going back to the exercised for a week and thinking consciously about my posture was all it took to allay them.

The strategy is this: The sciatic nerves pass through an area in your lower back, where your small muscles, which you rarely use, have gotten very week. The exercises are to build up those muscles to form a kind of saddle to support your back and reduce the contact pressure on the sciatic nerve.

About a year and a half ago, I started sleeping on the floor, with just a folded blanket for a pad under hips/shoulders. It was a miracle cure for lots of things. All back discomfort went away, sciatica didn't come back, no more leg cramps, and now I need only about 6 hours sleep a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness