U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,037,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I know the original post was meant in kindness, but I'm going to take my chances. To be safe from those food-borne sicknesses, you'll also need to avoid cantaloupe and tomatoes. This year ground turkey was also on the list. Lettuce, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, ground beef, strawberries, papaya, . . . .
List of foodborne illness outbreaks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember the salmonellosis in peanut butter (twice in recent years)?

Home-made cookie dough is yummy!

If you set out with the goal of avoiding any foods which ever made someone sick, or which might make YOU sick, you'll soon starve to death.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,273,758 times
Yumm, chocolate chip cookie dough. I prefer it to actual cookies, and have nibbled on it for over 30 years. There is always an outbreak of e-coli to be concerned about, tomatoes, lettuce, scallions, meat. For crying out loud, Taco Bell still won't use scallions on my nacho supreme from the last big scare years ago! Give me a break. How about we make the farmer's keep their livestock/drainage away from the veggies, there's a thought. I will not stop taking a bite of cookie dough here and there, that's the best part of making cookies!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,162,577 times
Not sure if any of you actually read the article in the link but the source of the e-coli in that incident wasn't ever known 100% - they thought it might be the raw flour - not the eggs.

Also, they quoted a doctor of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt U as saying: characterizing eating cookie dough as a risky behavior might be a bit of a stretch. It's similar to eating a hamburger or steak rare or medium rare.

I'll continue to have a little nibble of cookie or brownie dough whenever any baker is generous enough to share some with me

Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,069,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
How about if you MAKE the cookie dough yourself???????????? So you eat it within the 30-60 minutes from when you start mixing everything together, the eggs/flour/sugar/etc...

B.c it seems if your eating it from store bought cookie dough packages/tubs, that you'd have a better chance at getting salmonella or e coli, than baking it from scratch and eating a little right away?

I have no idea if what I said above is correct, but it makes sense to me. I never saw Rocky get e coli. Black eye, sure, but no e coli.
Raw eggs are just never a good idea to eat - you are taking your chances.

So even if you made the cookie dough yourself with your own ingredients, you still have the raw egg factor.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:49 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,069,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you set out with the goal of avoiding any foods which ever made someone sick, or which might make YOU sick, you'll soon starve to death.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. And I am not advocating avoiding foods - I am only advocating that you properly COOK THEM before you consume them

Again, if you've EVER had salmonella poisoning, or E coli, you would never risk getting them again.

You will be sicker than you can imagine - in some cases you'd have to die just to feel better, lol. Seriously, organ failure is no fun (which E coli can bring on).

Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 AM

1,708 posts, read 5,265,158 times
I love raw cookie dough! I don't intend so stop eating it.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
Eh. I'm confident enough in my immune system, due to exposure of all sorts of things when I was a kid, that even if a speck of egg had a speck of salmonella in it, my stomach would simply add a little cream cheese to the salmon(ella), toss it on a bagel, and call it a delicious lunch.

I ate DIRT when I was a kid. I knew one girl who ate crayons. We all ate bugs and worms at one point or another. And we used to pet toads without washing our hands before supper. Kids who have to live in sterile environments just to appease their paranoid parents are missing out on some of the more interesting aspects of childhood.

Raw ground chuck, ceasar dressing made with raw egg AND ANCHOVIES OH NOEZ SODIUMZ, my dad's famous no-cook blender mousse made with raw egg, hot milk, and Nestles' morsels, and chocolate chip cookie dough right out of the bowl with a wooden spoon. Oh and Jiffy Corn Muffin batter..that stuff is even better than the muffins.

I have been nibbling raw stuff like that since I was 4; I'm 50 now, and I have no intention of stopping. I've never -ever- had a food-related illness.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:22 PM

13,436 posts, read 24,216,791 times
I can't make cookies without eating some of the dough. And I've been doing it for decades.

Back in the long ago, I did research on Endotoxic Shock. I worked with these bugs every day in a controlled laboratory environment. The real best question is why do some people get deathly ill from these bugs while others barely notice or just think they have a case of diarrhea?

Most of the people who get extremely ill are very young, very old, or immune system compromised in some way. Most of us have been exposed to these bugs no matter how careful we were, it was just part of day to day life.

It worries me how germ-phobic people are becoming. Everything is antibacterial. What happens when one of you meets the big bug? You will be really sick because you have no built up resistance.

Different strokes and choices you know. With all due respect, I will continue eating raw cookie dough. I will drink eggnog too!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:13 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,762,803 times
I think some people would be shocked to see how many sauces and such have an egg cracked right into it in the end to give it a nice creamny silky texture..that is when its pulled off the flame... You eat raw things more than one knows. We did it all the time in culinary school.. Certain fillings like those on whoopie pies will have raw eggs in them too.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:17 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
More irrational hysteria. I just made a batch of cookies an hour ago. I licked out the bowl after I put them in the oven, I guess I better go have a seat in the ER, and wait for the symptoms to set in. Jeez, I didn't even use a meat thermometer to make sure they were hot enough in the center, when I took them out. What is the internal temperature supposed to be in a baked cookie? Just to be safe, maybe I'd better put the cookies in a Toxic Substance container and take them to an approved disposal site. And then look under my bed to make sure there aren't any hiding under there to attack me while I sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness