U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 PM

9,486 posts, read 13,344,036 times

Advertisements

You could play it safe and stick with cookie dough ice cream, two treats in one, yes!
The world is full of scary things, I'm not going to worry about all the what ifs, and that includes raw cookie dough.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 PM

535 posts, read 490,565 times
dammit you all, i was going to start eating more healthy, but i've decided to make a cake now.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 AM

51,225 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
dammit you all, i was going to start eating more healthy, but i've decided to make a cake now.
Can I lick the bowl and the spatula?

When I was a kid I wanted my mother to make cake batter so I could eat it out of a bowl with a spoon instead of baking it into a cake. She never let me do that, though, lol. I was deprived, I tell you!

Love cookie dough and cake batter, and no, I've never gotten salmonella or Ecoli or any of the other diseases you supposedly can get. Not that they aren't real, but living involves risk and I suspect that if you spend your days worrying about every little germ and bug that MIGHT be out there, you will die from an eagle dropping a rock on your head.

Alas, I stay away from most cakes and cookies these days in any form.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 AM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
lovesMountains...it probably does carry some risk...but as we always make our own dough, I feel the risk is much less......I can remember a friends child coming over (years ago) and they had never indulged...I remember saying that every kid had to try raw cookie dough at least once in their lives.......crazy thing is 20 years later when we ran into this now young women...she recalled that incident with a great affection.......When I was a child we ALWAYS made our own eggnog with raw eggs....never got ill, and loved it.....I must admit though...I doubt I would ever partake of a storebought cookie dough....just the thought makes me cringe...and today I'd probably not make the eggnog anymore because of the risk.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
lovesMountains...it probably does carry some risk...but as we always make our own dough, I feel the risk is much less......I can remember a friends child coming over (years ago) and they had never indulged...I remember saying that every kid had to try raw cookie dough at least once in their lives.......crazy thing is 20 years later when we ran into this now young women...she recalled that incident with a great affection.......When I was a child we ALWAYS made our own eggnog with raw eggs....never got ill, and loved it.....I must admit though...I doubt I would ever partake of a storebought cookie dough....just the thought makes me cringe...and today I'd probably not make the eggnog anymore because of the risk.
Apparently a lot of people feel as you do!

Glad you've got those nice memories

My memories of salmonella poisoning in the 1990's make eating raw dough a risk I'm not willing to take however.

And these days when I drink egg nog it's the store bought pasteurized kind

Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
I'm 50 and grew up on raw cookie dough, too. The biggest problem is how the food is grown and processed now. When I was a kid there weren't a fraction of the outbreaks that there are now. There's a reason for that. Once Big Ag took over it changed everything and the USDA and FDA is so infitrated and bought off that it is a very different thing. I allow my child to have raw cookie dough but only if I get my ingredients locally from family farmers, etc.

If most people were to see how animals now live - and this is not about the welfare of the animal - and how they were slaughtered...Cows can be diseased and they simply turn around and grind them up and feed them to the other animals. Chickens and pigs live in filth. I wouldn't eat a raw egg from Big Business anymore.

If you want to see what really goes on watch this movie (http://http://www.foodincmovie.com/ - broken link).

Old 12-13-2011, 03:59 PM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Cows can be diseased and they simply turn around and grind them up and feed them to the other animals. Chickens and pigs live in filth.
I generally don't include these in my cookie dough.

I know what you're saying, though.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,412,550 times
Well if you love raw cookie dough and you don't want to take a risk, you can always just make the cookie dough without the eggs and keep it in the freezer. Or you can use pasteurized eggs but I wonder if they're irradiated? I don't think I've ever made cookies though w/o eating a bit of the dough and I love to bake.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 PM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
This is how I feel about it. When I was little, Mom let me lick the mixer beaters when she was making a cake. Dad made eggnog with raw eggs. I never had a problem back then. I won't do that any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm 50 and grew up on raw cookie dough, too. The biggest problem is how the food is grown and processed now. When I was a kid there weren't a fraction of the outbreaks that there are now. There's a reason for that. Once Big Ag took over it changed everything and the USDA and FDA is so infitrated and bought off that it is a very different thing. I allow my child to have raw cookie dough but only if I get my ingredients locally from family farmers, etc.

If most people were to see how animals now live - and this is not about the welfare of the animal - and how they were slaughtered...Cows can be diseased and they simply turn around and grind them up and feed them to the other animals. Chickens and pigs live in filth. I wouldn't eat a raw egg from Big Business anymore.

If you want to see what really goes on watch this movie (http://http://www.foodincmovie.com/ - broken link).

Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
The warning from the CDC was based on raw flour in raw cookie dough, not the eggs, it caused an e.Coli outbreak in 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.