U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM
 
3,777 posts, read 7,167,630 times
Reputation: 4134

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm not obsessed about this stuff either, but that's a far cry from thinking this is not a problem. It is. In fact, that incident is back in the news.

Bu hey, it's a free country. Have at it.
Back in the news, but just more talk about the same 2009 outbreak. Life is full of risks. Most of us drive or ride in cars. Some people ride motorcycles. Some people smoke. I eat homemade cookie dough.

 
Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 9,863,075 times
Reputation: 3782
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've been telling my kids this for years.

Now with holiday season in full swing I feel like I ought to say it to any of you listening who are tempted to do this.

I used to buy the big bucket of dough so they could make a few cookies whenever they wanted to with their friends.

They were good about not eating it raw, but some of their friends claimed at their house they only ate it raw

Well, now comes the news that a big outbreak of E coli has been blamed on people who ate their cookie dough raw.

If you or someone you care about is doing this, you might want to rethink it.

E coli kills, or can just make you feel so bad you wish you were dead!

Raw Cookie Dough Linked to E. Coli Outbreak - Yahoo! News
Sorry to freak you out yet again, but, I eat it raw all the time
 
Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Reputation: 39670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Sorry to freak you out yet again, but, I eat it raw all the time
Yes, I know, you'll put anything in your mouth Some of us just prefer to be a bit more discriminating and stay as healthy as possible

Isn't it great to be an American?
 
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Reputation: 21263
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've been telling my kids this for years.

Now with holiday season in full swing I feel like I ought to say it to any of you listening who are tempted to do this.

I used to buy the big bucket of dough so they could make a few cookies whenever they wanted to with their friends.

They were good about not eating it raw, but some of their friends claimed at their house they only ate it raw

Well, now comes the news that a big outbreak of E coli has been blamed on people who ate their cookie dough raw.

If you or someone you care about is doing this, you might want to rethink it.

E coli kills, or can just make you feel so bad you wish you were dead!

Raw Cookie Dough Linked to E. Coli Outbreak - Yahoo! News
After reading the article, one has to wonder how flour comes into contact with E Coli to begin with. The secret is to make your own cookies from scratch using free-range organic eggs, organic butter and other healthy ingredients. I'm quite certain that you won't get E Coli from that!

20yrsinBranson
 
Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,457 posts, read 16,412,550 times
Reputation: 13154
OK, gotta share my recipe with all you raw cookie dough lovers: Get a brownie mix that makes a small pan of brownies, like for an 8x8 or 9x9 pan, but bake it in a 13x9 inch pan. Then make up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, using the tiny little chocolate chips and no eggs. Spread that on top of your cooled brownies and drizzle the top with chocolate syrup. No bake cookie brownies are scrumptious. Oh yeah and keep them in the fridge so they stay firm.
 
Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 86,054,517 times
Reputation: 39670
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OK, gotta share my recipe with all you raw cookie dough lovers: Get a brownie mix that makes a small pan of brownies, like for an 8x8 or 9x9 pan, but bake it in a 13x9 inch pan. Then make up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, using the tiny little chocolate chips and no eggs. Spread that on top of your cooled brownies and drizzle the top with chocolate syrup. No bake cookie brownies are scrumptious. Oh yeah and keep them in the fridge so they stay firm.
Those sound reallllllly good - thanks!!!
 
Old 12-15-2011, 01:22 AM
 
Location: Alabama
1,068 posts, read 1,456,390 times
Reputation: 931
i bake my own cookies so i dont have much to worry about, raw cookie dough is delish
 
Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 9,863,075 times
Reputation: 3782
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yes, I know, you'll put anything in your mouth Some of us just prefer to be a bit more discriminating and stay as healthy as possible

Isn't it great to be an American?
Yup!
 
Old 12-15-2011, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Reputation: 52030
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
After reading the article, one has to wonder how flour comes into contact with E Coli to begin with.
That's what has me stumped. We know livestock don't go rampaging through wheat fields, so that's out. If manure were used to fertilize the soil, the bacteria would break down long before harvest. So you gotta figure it's from improper cleaning of the wheat before it's processed, or something that happens in processing, in the grain mill or beyond.
 
Old 12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Manhattan, Ks
1,280 posts, read 5,921,185 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
After reading the article, one has to wonder how flour comes into contact with E Coli to begin with. The secret is to make your own cookies from scratch using free-range organic eggs, organic butter and other healthy ingredients. I'm quite certain that you won't get E Coli from that!

20yrsinBranson
Mom always told me it was the salmonella in the raw eggs we had to worry about. She never let me eat raw cookie dough when I was a kid and I still don't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top