U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:29 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Back in the news, but just more talk about the same 2009 outbreak.
I wrote:

Quote:
In fact, that incident is back in the news.

I don't think folks get it. The original poster put this up to be informative. Is she going to cry if someone eats raw cookie dough? Of course not.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people think the world revolves around them. However, a lot of Americans like to rant about how the government, their neighbor and the anonymous person on the internet are all trying to run their lives. Until they get sick. Then they are the first one yelling, "How come no one told me?"

Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM

3,111 posts, read 6,742,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Avoiding eating raw cookie dough because there is a very rare chance that it might make you sick is like never going outside so you won't get struck by lightning.
Agreed!

Remember when people used to eat raw eggs in their protein shakes? I'll take my chances with ecoli, thanks.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 AM

563 posts, read 1,269,650 times
I've eaten raw cookie dough many times throughout my life and never had anything bad happen from it. It's not like I make cookies all that often, either.
One thing I will do is not eat cookie dough while I'm pregnant!!!!

But like others have said - Cantalope, ground turkey... there are all kinds of things that have had an outbreak in recent years. You can't save yourself from everything.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,734,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I've been telling my kids this for years.

Now with holiday season in full swing I feel like I ought to say it to any of you listening who are tempted to do this.

I used to buy the big bucket of dough so they could make a few cookies whenever they wanted to with their friends.

They were good about not eating it raw, but some of their friends claimed at their house they only ate it raw

Well, now comes the news that a big outbreak of E coli has been blamed on people who ate their cookie dough raw.

If you or someone you care about is doing this, you might want to rethink it.

E coli kills, or can just make you feel so bad you wish you were dead!

Raw Cookie Dough Linked to E. Coli Outbreak - Yahoo! News

I have eaten raw cookie dough most of my whole life (now 33) and have never had any issues.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
I have eaten raw cookie dough most of my whole life (now 33) and have never had any issues.
And I hope you never do.

Because once you've had salmonella poisoning or been colonized by E coli, you'll do anything you have to to avoid having those experiences again

Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,272,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Mom always told me it was the salmonella in the raw eggs we had to worry about. She never let me eat raw cookie dough when I was a kid and I still don't!
Bummer.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:06 AM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Because once you've had salmonella poisoning or been colonized by E coli, you'll do anything you have to to avoid having those experiences again
Thus there's a certain restaurant I no longer eat at and a certain food I no longer eat. It isn't rational, I know, but it feels awful just to remember it.

I know I should wash the cantaloupe before I cut it, but I rarely do. Tomatoes, strawberries, and spinach - I guess I'm a risk taker.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
I ate some raw cookie dough last night and it was delicious!

And yes, I have had food poisoning before. I've also fallen off my bike, but that doesn't prevent me from riding again.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:14 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I ate some raw cookie dough last night and it was delicious!

And yes, I have had food poisoning before. I've also fallen off my bike, but that doesn't prevent me from riding again.
We've all had "food poisoning" at one time or another and most of us are only tied to our bathrooms for a day due to it. That's not what I'm talking about

Serious salmonella poisoning and E coli can require hospitalization and some major IV drugs to overcome, even potential organ failure, and not before you feel so badly you want to die.

The very young and elderly are more at risk, which is why little kids should not eat raw dough.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
This thread has run its course and is now closed-

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness