Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

9 year old healthy girl washes and rinses her hair well, no change in shampoo, diet or any other conditions except braces on her teeth for about one year. Even right after her shower, her scalp has a funky smell. I've discouraged hair dryer use and it still is there. Any suggestions? Any OTC medicated shampoos I could try even tho there is nothing there-dandruff, flakes, bugs, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 09:40 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Did you call a dermatologist? you can try any dandruff shampoo but if she does not have dandruff it might be something else. I looked online and here's what I found Head Smells Bad - Dermatology - MedHelp, it might be a fungus or clogged oil glands.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 AM

699 posts, read 2,219,216 times
i'd be looking to have a hair dresser weigh in. they have seen it all and
a seasoned pro can probably pick out what the deal is.

maybe repost in the hair subforum?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Thanks for your help. Just not sure what to do now. I'll try changing shampoos and see if that helps. I hate to take her to doc and make her more insecure about her body and growth. 9 is a precarious age with the changes just around the corner....

Old 12-30-2011, 11:51 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
What do you mean by funky?

My dad & son both have weird smelling scalps & nothing helped. Tried medicated shampoo; plus clarifying & various brands from Suave to expensive. No matter what we've done; the same scent is left on his pillow case. His just smells dirty but it's not.

Can you try to play salon with her & was her hair for her; then while it's naturally drying; treat her to a facial & nail polish. Possible she's not washing correctly.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thanks for your help. Just not sure what to do now. I'll try changing shampoos and see if that helps. I hate to take her to doc and make her more insecure about her body and growth. 9 is a precarious age with the changes just around the corner....
I recommend a good natural shampoo.
For general / over all health it's really best to avoid the soaps and shampoos that are just loaded with potentially harmful ingredients.
Here's a link to a web-site that i found that lists them but if you just go to a health food store, you'll be much more likely to find a shampoo that is free of anything harmful.
Harmful Ingredients List - Ingredients Commonly Found in Personal Care Products
Aubrey makes some really great and lovely smelling hair products for all sorts of hair conditions.
Apple cider vinegar balances the scalp p.h. and helps to eliminate any build-up of debris (it's both anti-bacterial and anti-fungul) so if your daughter is not adverse to it, you may want to try that.
You brush the hair and massage the scalp well with a brush and then saturate the hair with water and then with the apple cider vinegar, wrap the head and leave it on for about an hour.
Then shampoo.

If she's nine and since girls are developing earlier these days, hormonal issues may be an issue but certainly not a serious one ... just the body starting to go through its changes.
I think it's really cool that you're sensitive enough to not want to take her to the m.d. and add to any of her insecurities about her body.
In my totally unprofessional opinion that's not necessary.
Someone suggested a hair dresser and i think that's a good idea.
You could take her there for a girls day out and privately let the hair dresser know about your concern and see what she thinks.
Like the other poster said, they've seen it all.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,426 times
Are you sure there are no changes in her diet?

Could it be that she is about to hit puberty and her body chemistry is changing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness