U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 5,047,138 times

Advertisements

This happens to me every winter (for years now). It's not actually the eyelid, but the area above it, closer to the nose side. From what I've read, it does not appear to be Blephartis. I spent 6 weeks in a very cold, dry climate last winter and it didn't seem to be as bad as it does this year, living in a more moderate climate, but anyway, what to do? I have tried vitamin e oil, Cetaphil for sensitive skin, Aveeno calming lotion, Shikai products from the natural store and Eucerin. Some seemed to work a little, some seem to have made it worse. I don't wear make-up on these two little areas, and I've tried not wearing make-up at all for a few days and that didn't help. This past week, they seem to be worse than ever, having improved last week. I read aloe vera may help. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 AM

10,893 posts, read 12,663,240 times
I had something like this over the summer. I think it was chlorine related to the pool...

I highly recommend shea butter for this. (the raw stuff, nothing fancy)

I don't know how it works, but it does, and it's really soothing & healing on most all skin irritations.

I swear by this stuff!!

*And if you want to boost its healing properties, mixing it with a bit of organic coconut oil makes it even that much better.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Thank you, I will try that.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,597,257 times
This will work wonders and will not irritate the eyes in anyway.
Yes, it's pricey but it will last a good long time.
And it's a great product for the areas around the eyes in general.
One little container will last up to 6 months.
Amazon.com: Dr. Hauschka Eye Contour Day Balm

Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 PM

6,199 posts, read 17,656,100 times
Have you seen a doctor about it? Are you sure its not pink eye? To me it sounds like it maybe a mild case of it and you should get it checked. It is very contagious and you'll need a prescription eye drop if it is.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:40 PM

I'm positive it's not pink eye. I get it every year in the winter. It has something to do with the skin under the brows, above the eyelids. It has nothing to do with my eyes. It just seems to be a little worse this year, maybe because I am getting older.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
This will work wonders and will not irritate the eyes in anyway.
Yes, it's pricey but it will last a good long time.
And it's a great product for the areas around the eyes in general.
One little container will last up to 6 months.
Amazon.com: Dr. Hauschka Eye Contour Day Balm
Thank you. I bought the shea butter today. If that doesn't work, I will take a look at this.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,243,192 times
Quote:
It has something to do with the skin under the brows, above the eyelids.
My husband gets itchy pink dry skin right under his brows and at the edges of other facial hair. It is a type of seborrheic dermatitis caused by a common sort of fungus, it is worse on oily skin. I think this might be what is going on with you since you say it was better in colder weather and some moisturizing products made it worse - I bet the ones with the most oil. If this sounds familiar, it is easily controlled with a commercial dandruff shampoo.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
My husband gets itchy pink dry skin right under his brows and at the edges of other facial hair. It is a type of seborrheic dermatitis caused by a common sort of fungus, it is worse on oily skin. I think this might be what is going on with you since you say it was better in colder weather and some moisturizing products made it worse - I bet the ones with the most oil. If this sounds familiar, it is easily controlled with a commercial dandruff shampoo.
Thanks. I'm not sure how I would use shampoo in this area, but I will give it a shot. Your description sounds closer to what I am experiencing but it's not better in colder whether. It gets worse in the winter and is non-existent in the summer. What I did say is it wasn't as bad last year when I was in a colder climate. Perhaps all the stuff I am trying on it is making it worse.

It is NOT pink eye!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,243,192 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how I would use shampoo in this area, but I will give it a shot.
My husband just lathers a small amount and applies to the trouble areas while in the shower. You could also apply it with q-tips and wipe back off with damp cotton swabs, but the shower is the easiest.
Quote:
Your description sounds closer to what I am experiencing but it's not better in colder whether. It gets worse in the winter and is non-existent in the summer. What I did say is it wasn't as bad last year when I was in a colder climate.
Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted what you were saying. If it is almost non-existent in the summer it is less likely that this is your issue, unless maybe you live in the desert or something with very low humidity. Really your best bet it a dermatologist. Although I don't think it could hurt to try the dandruff shampoo, some DIY treatments could make it worse if you don't really know what the underlying condition is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness