U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM

288 posts, read 809,712 times

Advertisements

So how did the tick get on ya initially? Were you out in the woods? Seems odd it would make it to your "nuts" ha. Although if you were wearing shorts or repelling/climbing in the woods guess I could see that happening, or even just sitting down in the woods. Eek, either way, not a fun spot to find one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 02:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,335,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Invest in some tweezers and make sure you get the head off.
Let's keep it PG-13, alright?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
for future reference, tick removal is best done by grasping as close to the head as possible (using tweezers if possible), and pulling them straight out (trying to avoid squeezing the fat body).

methods such as burning, covering with vaseline or other substances can either end up injuring yourself, or increasing the likelihood of the tick transmitting infection (such as lyme).

for the next couple of weeks, watch out for rash or fever (the rash might not be at the site of the tick bite), and if they occur, get checked out by your doctor.

CDC - Tick Removal - Ticks
Innuendo much?

If I try to read that in a clinical fashion, you're exactly right though.

If you burn a tick or squeeze its body while removing it the tendency is for the tick to purge its stomach contents back into your body. It actually increases the risk of tick-borne infections.

Tweezers all the way.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's true, I had overlooked that. However, Lyme's requires exposure to a particular species of tick in an endemic area. Those ticks are not large enough to have been treated in the manner that was described by the OP. They are usually not detected by the patient, even when looked for.

Conspicuously visible ticks are harmless, in terms of communicable diseases (again, with rare localized exceptions).
The thinking on that isn't quite as rock solid as it used to be. Supposedly Lyme has been isolated in lone star ticks and, to a lesser degree, American dog ticks - but I definitely agree that if you aren't in the greater New England-ish area your risk is extremely low and it probably doesn't pay to be terrified of tick bites.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:04 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,036,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
All thats left is a wound, it was a tiny tick, so I'm hoping it's head just boiled away. I cleaned the area really well with those wet wipes soaked in Antiseptic mouthwash but I'm not worried about anything else, all that matters is that theres no more tick chilling on my sack.

Got so bad news for you. The head is still in you and as the other poster said can cause some real nasty stuff to happen to you.

busta

Old 12-12-2011, 04:12 PM

15,172 posts, read 15,210,720 times
Quote:
Thank you for your concern, but it was light grey, with a light green tint to it or something... I'm hoping it was just a tick, looked like the same kinds I saw on Google.
Was it embedded in your skin???

If it was, I would highly recommend treatment from a doctor. I think if it was a tick, you are supposed to have a round of antibiotics just in case it carried Lyme Disease.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Was it embedded in your skin???

If it was, I would highly recommend treatment from a doctor. I think if it was a tick, you are supposed to have a round of antibiotics just in case it carried Lyme Disease.
Maybe that would be warranted in a high-risk Lyme area, but for the most part you can pick 100 ticks off of your body just with your fingernails after a long day of rolling in high grass and not worry about a thing other than poison ivy.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 PM

345 posts, read 481,664 times
I started feeling paranoid last night, felt like I was coming down with the flu, but I just needed to eat some food and quit smoking cigarettes when its really cold outside. Have no rash or itchiness, no circles around the wound either, also just finished up a 400 mile round trip road trip so I think I'm good.

Thank you everyone for your concerns, I promise if I get sick within the next week or two I'll go see a doctor.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,858,563 times
Quote:
<snip> took a lighter and boiled its ass until it disintegrated, turned all mushy after I took the hot piece of metal of a lighter and held it onto the tick 3 times, then I scraped it away. <snip>
Okay, this sounds like something from a Jackass episode. You are a braver man that I, my friend.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM

345 posts, read 481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan840 View Post
So how did the tick get on ya initially? Were you out in the woods? Seems odd it would make it to your "nuts" ha. Although if you were wearing shorts or repelling/climbing in the woods guess I could see that happening, or even just sitting down in the woods. Eek, either way, not a fun spot to find one!
No idea, guess I just sat on something outside and it crawled up there, or it came in the house on my cat or dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Okay, this sounds like something from a Jackass episode. You are a braver man that I, my friend.
I'm not that brave, if you found one down there you would've done the same man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness