U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 PM
 
9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times
Reputation: 15406

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Definite breakdown in communication. Is it possible that the pharmacy explained he had received only a partial fill and he either didn't understand or forgot?
The cashier or pharmacist should have explained this very clearly before he even left the store the first time, and when he came back in it should have been a fairly simple transaction.
The partial filling of prescriptions is fairly common and I don't understand why a district manager was needed for this to be figured out. Should have been something the pharmacy manager could have figured out on his/her own.

I also agree with lovesmountains, pharmacist are a front line of defense in keeping prescription drugs off the street. Not sure about elsewhere, but our pharmacist have a pretty good relationship with local law enforcement. We've had quite a few arrests for phony scripts, so I can't really blame them when they are suspicious of things that are out of the ordinary. Some people do some crazy stupid things in their efforts to access more drugs. Sad that their actions affect the way legitimate customers are treated too.
I know what you're saying is true. I had a bottle of viocidin in my purse, with refills, I was recovering from a spinal surgery. Well, somehow that bottle went "missing". I reported it to the pharmacy, they put a block on the RX and issued me a new number. Well, they caught the culprit when she went to refill the RX---turned out to be my SIL I noticed it missing right after a family get-together......and no, we didn't bail her out. Strange, she doesn't invite me over anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Cartersville, GA
1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times
Reputation: 1080
As others have said, pharmacists must be very careful to insure that their customers are using drugs appropriately. If they do not take these precautions, the State that issues their license or the DEA can shut them down in a heartbeat. Pharmacy staff have also faced prison sentences for inappropriately dispensing medicine.

That said, there is no excuse for the treatment your husband received. It sounds like the district manager has not addressed this problem with his staff. I would ask you physician to talk with him. Pharmacies have a strong interest in keeping doctors happy. You could also complain to the local better business bureau. Than again, you might be better off cutting your losses and going with a new pharmacy. As villageidiot1 said, a new Rx is not needed. You can ask a new pharmacy to transfer the prescription from the old pharmacy. The old pharmacy must comply with the request. The prescription was issued to you, not the pharmacy. If the pharmacy gives you problems with this, call the District Manager back, and ask him for the phone number for the State agency that issued to license to the Pharmacy. This should prompt him to resolve the situation immediately.

As far as addiction goes, Xanax and all other benzodiazepines can indeed be addictive. However, it is certainly possible to discontinue the medication while minimizing the effects of dependence and withdrawal. I am sure his physician would be happy to help him with this. If not, there are plenty of other psychiatrists would would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM
 
9 posts, read 37,843 times
Reputation: 13
To Imcurious-
I don't mean this in a mean way either, but you are in fact being judgmental. Until you have walked in my shoes, or my husbands shoes, or anyones using antidepressants for that matter, it's impossible for you to say what would help you.
I got on antidepressants after 9/11 because I could not even blink without seeing a man in dark pants and a white shirt jumping from over 100 stories. My husband had a hard time dealing with the fact that our son will need life-long help with most everything. Maybe that makes us both weak, maybe not. Either way, people who use xanax, lexapro, effexor, etc. don't usually get on it because they want to take a pill. Usually it's because they are tired of not smiling, not finding joy in anything. I think that it takes a lot of courage to admit to yourself and then to a doctor that you need help.

The pharmacy manager did write a letter of apology to my husband. She also was transferred about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My husband definitely is switching pharmacies, I think to our local HealthMart. He is also switching doctors finally. I think that when he was out and had such a bad time he got scared. He is now questioning why he was placed on such a high dose for so long...for a short period of time is okay, I think, but it's been sooo long now! Hopefully he can find someone who will help him wean off of it safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 9,859,296 times
Reputation: 3782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferajr5 View Post
To Imcurious-
I don't mean this in a mean way either, but you are in fact being judgmental. Until you have walked in my shoes, or my husbands shoes, or anyones using antidepressants for that matter, it's impossible for you to say what would help you.
I got on antidepressants after 9/11 because I could not even blink without seeing a man in dark pants and a white shirt jumping from over 100 stories. My husband had a hard time dealing with the fact that our son will need life-long help with most everything. Maybe that makes us both weak, maybe not. Either way, people who use xanax, lexapro, effexor, etc. don't usually get on it because they want to take a pill. Usually it's because they are tired of not smiling, not finding joy in anything. I think that it takes a lot of courage to admit to yourself and then to a doctor that you need help.

The pharmacy manager did write a letter of apology to my husband. She also was transferred about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My husband definitely is switching pharmacies, I think to our local HealthMart. He is also switching doctors finally. I think that when he was out and had such a bad time he got scared. He is now questioning why he was placed on such a high dose for so long...for a short period of time is okay, I think, but it's been sooo long now! Hopefully he can find someone who will help him wean off of it safely.

That is why doctors shouldn't prescribe benzos in such high doses since now your husband is addicted and has to wean off. I used to see these issused all the time.....but I won't bore you with the details. Your husband is one of many people that goes down the drug route
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
 
9 posts, read 37,843 times
Reputation: 13
I totally agree that the doctor shouldn't have prescribed them to such a high dosage, and as I said previously the doctor is not one that I trust anymore. He is very concerned with the pharm reps I see/saw in there almost every visit the last dozen or so times I was there. That should have been a red flag for me, at least, but I trusted him. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Reputation: 39664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferajr5 View Post
I totally agree that the doctor shouldn't have prescribed them to such a high dosage, and as I said previously the doctor is not one that I trust anymore. He is very concerned with the pharm reps I see/saw in there almost every visit the last dozen or so times I was there. That should have been a red flag for me, at least, but I trusted him. Live and learn.
Hey, the important thing is, your husband is willing to see a new doctor and seek other ways of coping - good for him

I wish you both all the best and do hope you will suggest he try some hypnotherapy.

In addition Jenn it sounds like you yourself may be experiencing some post traumatic stress. Are you able to be prescription drug-free yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Reputation: 18538
Only psychiatrists should be prescribing these drugs. I know many PCPs want to be helpful but they simply do not know enough.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
 
Location: 38104
6 posts, read 7,133 times
Reputation: 14
Yes, they can. I know numerous friends that abuse it, and it has a high level of misuse. I would recommend a milder benzo, such as Atavan or Valium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 05:51 PM
 
Location: NJ
9,164 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferajr5 View Post
Now people treat him like an ******* whenever he goes into the pharmacy, and today, when he called for a refill on the .5's, they refused even though the insurance company and his doctor both approved it. They said based on his profile they believe that he doesn't need a refill right now because they filled it early twice before and he should have some left over...
Can they do this? He did have extra, but had to use them because he didn't have the 3 mgs for two days.
And is that even their freakin business if the dr and the ins approve it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferajr5 View Post
The pharmacy manager did write a letter of apology to my husband. She also was transferred about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My husband definitely is switching pharmacies, I think to our local HealthMart. He is also switching doctors finally. I think that when he was out and had such a bad time he got scared. He is now questioning why he was placed on such a high dose for so long...for a short period of time is okay, I think, but it's been sooo long now! Hopefully he can find someone who will help him wean off of it safely.
I have had this happen at a CVS but with a different med & did not have problems because as you say; the bottle was too small to fit the amount of pills that I should have had. This one time they did not tell me nor did they note the print out like they normally do. The medication was nothing anyone would want..

I also had an issue at Walgreens where they gave me a 1/2 pill of a narcotic & the pharmacist was nasty; accused me of cutting the pill in 1/2. When I pick up my scripts; I go home & put my calendar on the counter; then lay the pills on each day so I know it's right or wrong. From there; I put them in a 1 week container & the rest go in a large 1 week container that will fit the remainder.

I called the store & left a message; saying I was driving right over. I went to the drive thru & was surprised when the pharmacist started accusing me of taking 1/2 the pill; she said it was counted twice or 3 times & I was lying. She also said something else then threw the pill into the drawer & walked away. I should have gone inside but drove home & called the manager. They really did not do anything- they noted my account that I had to count my pills every time I picked them up. I was not happy & almost left. It eventually blew over & she's actually nice to me now. I'm not sure if I wrote a letter; pretty sure I did but it went to the wrong department. I'd also told the manager he should view the tapes.

I do suggest you start counting pills & do similar to what I do with the containers to make sure he is getting the right amount plus that he is not taking too many. His meds should also be in a lock box. I also suggest therapy; if you can manage a psych; you really should switch so he can get the proper meds. He also might think to do some sort of detox. My own family Dr won't prescribe benzo's- I was close to a heart attack; she did not want to give me valium & I do not take it that often.

My daughter was on Cymbalta but it seems to have caused weight gain & muscle pain. Finding an adolescent psych with 2 insurances has been hard; no one has openings; not even CHOP. Her family Dr gave her Pristiq & it seems to be helping. My hub was on Effexor at one time & it helped. My hub & daughter were on lexapro & it made the depression worst.

How old is your hub? Have they thought to test his testosterone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferajr5 View Post
My husband had a hard time dealing with the fact that our son will need life-long help with most everything. Maybe that makes us both weak, maybe not.
I'm sorry that 9/11 has affected your family for so long. It was a horrible day for many of us.

Having an autistic child is not the end of the world; & depending on where you live; there is a lot of studies & help that you can utilize.

Not sure if you're actually in the NY/NJ area? CHOP is doing a lot with autism.
Decoding Autism - watch the full program- next to the large photo is- Possible CausesCutting Edge ResearchHope for the Future; over that; you will see Watch Full Show Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: NJ
9,164 posts, read 20,201,974 times
Reputation: 6215
You can write corporate a letter using their web site; but if you do that; you want to make sure your hub is actually taking what he's supposed to be & not more. It's possible that he is taking more & you won't know it until you start managing his meds. What you're describing is the 1st sign. I'm not accusing; I also take prescribed narcotics & police myself because it's very easy to just pop one more & I have a feeling this is what your hub is doing because he's been on it so long it's not helping. This is not his fault. Get him a psych so he can be medicated correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top