U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 12:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,004,692 times

Advertisements

This Friday I have to undergo about 4 hours of balance testing to figure out why I get horrible vertigo a few times a year. I went to the doctors last week and he did the Dix-Hallpike maneuver on me to see if he could induce vertigo or nystagmus, but nothing happened. I should also note that I was incredibly nervous (because the vertigo feeling is SO bad) and apprehensive of the maneuver, not sure if that had anything to do with it. So when nothing happened, the doc scheduled me for a long time of balance testing.

For anyone who has undergone the tests, is there anything very scary that I should expect? Should I expect to be extremely dizzy afterwards, or will I get nystagmus (eye movements)? I thought that I had BPPV for the longest time, but the doctor said it's not so. It might be a different type of vertigo.

See, I only get this really bad vertigo while sleeping, suddenly my head will be flat and my eyes will start darting around and I'll be very nauseous, clammy, sweaty, and have actually vomited when it happens. The extreme vertigo and eye movements stop within 10-20 minutes, but then I will have long lasting lightheaded-ness and dizziness for several days afterwards. I always carry some motion-sickness pills with me because they do relieve the nausea and the feeling of moving.

It has been 3 weeks since I felt the motion sickness feeling. I am dreading the balance test on Friday. My husband is going to drop me off and pick me back up, because the doctor DID say that I might be a bit wobbly

I have a family history of inner-ear problems so maybe that's why. Just thought I'd offer some background first. Anything else I should expect?
Thanks all!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 06:12 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,219,530 times
I went for that 4 hour testing to see if they could find the cause of my vertigo/dizzy/off balance. I am not sure if I can remember ALL the tests but these are some I remember...(you can look these up on the internet) The VNG test (It wasn't bad but they say it makes some people really sick... I found in ALL the tests I had, if it started to make me sick, they would immediately stop and let me fully recover before going on)

They did a really detailed hearing test that took forever..

The one I really dreaded was the rotery chair test.. I just knew they would have to carry me out of there when that one was done but I did better than I thought...BECAUSE, like I said, if at any point, I showed signs it bothered me, they stopped.. However, when they did the part where the lines moved around me in the booth, as soon as that started, it was like I went into immediate panic mode and was crying so hard that it stunned me, all those emotions just hit without any warning.. She stopped that test immediately and let me recover and acted like my reaction was nothing, we did not go any further in that test... (I talked to other people that has had that test and my reaction was NOT NORMAL!) I asked the doctor when I went for the results of all my tetsts, what happened and why I reacted like that and he said it confused my sensory system and I just got a system overload.... but he acted like it meant nothing!?

I had another test that I can remember the name of.... maybe someone else will come along and remember the name of it..I laid on a table and they attached things to specific muscles on my neck, put ear things in my ears and when I heard the beeping sound, I had to pick my head up off the table and hold it to the right (or left) until the beeping stopped.. Did that test awhile, then she cut the lights out and told me if I wanted to nap, I could but not to pay any attention to what she was doing behind me..I have no idea what she was doing behind me but I was laying there in the dark for about 15 minutes...

I was suppose to do a Computerized Dynamic Posturography (CDP) but for some reason we didn't do that one.. I think they had their answer and we didn't need to do that one...

Most of all the testing I had you can find here
Dizziness Vertigo Balance Lab testing

Probably a lot you are having are here too...

For me they came up with the diagnoses Migraine Associated vertigo and BPPV... I am cursed with the almost non stop dizziness that brings on the nausea, constant ear pressure, vision that comes and goes..I also am now left with sever sensitivity to light so shopping is no longer any fun! (or going anywhere where there is bright or florsescent lights)

Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,885,607 times
Inner ear problems can make a big mess of your balance. It might be that. One thing that I do, as it only seems to be in my LEFT ear, is lie on my RIGHT side for a couple of hours. I also try to keep from turning my head to the left, or look to the left. I turn my entire body instead.

Try doing the same. Can't hurt, might help.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,004,692 times
Thanks Laura707 that helps a lot. I was told that I cannot have anything to eat for at least 5 hours before the appointment and a few hours afterwards. Your information really was good advice and now i know more of what to expect. My mom-mom had a really bad history of inner ear problems, like tinnitus, excess wax, fluid in the ear like crazy, and her eardrum busted up at one point, oh and she also had bad vertigo. So, I probably inherited everything from her Thanks again!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,311 times
Hello, found this forum while looking for a good support group for dizziness. I'm going for a neck MRI on Wednesday for herniated discs and then the balance testing next Monday. Am scared of course. Not of the MRI - I've had two before - but of the balance testing. I am afraid of vomiting even though I think, what's the big deal, everybody vomits. I just hate the feeling of dizziness. But I do want to know what's going on and get to the bottom of this awful, awful disorder. It is four weeks today since my attack (Memorial Day - I know I'll never forget it) and it's been hell. I live alone and have always been independent, and this has brought my life to its knees.

Jo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness