U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know your blood type?
0+ 32 24.24%
A+ 29 21.97%
B+ 13 9.85%
AB+ 8 6.06%
0- 14 10.61%
A- 11 8.33%
B- 5 3.79%
AB- 8 6.06%
I do not know my blood type 11 8.33%
I know my blood type but rather not say 1 0.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 AM

15,560 posts, read 9,584,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthUp View Post
Why not just pay the 40 bucks and know?

or donate blood and find out for free? And help save a life too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:30 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
I've known my blood type since I became a blood donor in college. I don't know why the OP chose to make it a public poll though.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:09 AM

415 posts, read 623,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
or donate blood and find out for free? And help save a life too.
Actually, the problem is that type 0 negative blood is valued at 2,500 USD a pint, yet donors get nothing. If only 20 percent of what the industry makes with an 0 negative donors was to be given to the one who gets the needle, there would never be a blood shortage.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:15 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,170,823 times
Almost certain that I'm A+.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Actually, the problem is that type 0 negative blood is valued at 2,500 USD a pint, yet donors get nothing. If only 20 percent of what the industry makes with an 0 negative donors was to be given to the one who gets the needle, there would never be a blood shortage.

USD= US dollars? To who? Wondering where you got that info.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,121,261 times
Quote:
Rh disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You see: You shouldn't assume that someone who wants to get deeper into a subject matter has an agenda. Educate yourself before you assume, please. I am simply offering a little help to anyone who wants to learn more about what the doctors and medical professionals as well as the pharmaceutical industries have no desire about informing you.

People need to make up their own mind rather than listening to who supposedly knows best yet makes billions from those who may get sick of of it. Sorry for trying to help you. To all those who want more information, there is a lot on the way, but not much I can disclose yet.

Here is a little something more to those who are truly interested:

Dangers of Rhogam in Pregnancy

And here is the interesting part:

Anybody know why it is still safe to do that?
I had my children before the shot was available. The reason for giving the shot is to keep antibodies against the + blood from forming. It was commonly known way back then that the first baby was usually safe, but in subsequent births the blood of the baby and mother mix more and if the mother has had a positive baby and formed antibodies, the next baby that is positive may not make it.

My blood type is A- and my husband is A+ but all blood has two genes and while A- is two negatives A+ can be a negative and a positive. My husband's blood evidently had a negative also and that is the gene that was passed on to our two children. So I never had a problem with childbirth but we stopped with two since the chance of ending up in trouble was 50/50.

My daughter had her baby after the shot was discovered. Her baby was positive and they both had the shot. Her baby screamed for about a week and I just thought she was a crying baby but my daughters mother-in-law once stated, "Don't you think that child is crying in an abnormal way for a baby that age." Makes me cringe to think about the possibility that she might have been in pain. She is a healthy teen now. I think the shot was necessary for both my daughter and her daughter. In the past an entire blood transfusion would have been the medical treatment for my grandchild. It was a scary thing at that time to be pregnant and RH negative.

Makes one wonder if the problem with the shot might be because it was given unnecessarily if the baby turns out to be negative.

I went looking for a map about blood types and found this map about A's.
http://lams.slcusd.org/pages/teacher...tribution1.gif

Last edited by NCN; 05-28-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 AM

If your daughter is positive, she didn't need the shot. And it is never given to babies. Are you sure it was the rhogam they were given? And if so, do you know why?

Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM

415 posts, read 623,771 times
This map fascinates me for more than one reason, because in addition to the A allele giving clues as to how certain populations migrated, there is also another theory which this map could easily support:
How the continents divided.

First: Take a look at the south eastern part of Greenland and then Lappland.
Now imagine this map being a puzzle and it being your job to fit the pieces together.

If you were to tilt Europe a little bit to the left, then wouldn’t the entire northern part of Russia almost fit perfectly into one big piece with Greenland?

Then take a look at the south eastern part of the United States and imagine the north western part of Africa fitting right into the gulf area to make it one complete piece with South America being a little bit tilted to the right aligning perfectly into yet another piece.
Also interestingly: The western part of Africa would fit this puzzle in regards to its lower percentage of As being quite similar to that of South America.

As a little reminder: The blood types are for the indigineous people of each area and not the current population of the Americas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I had my children before the shot was available. The reason for giving the shot is to keep antibodies against the + blood from forming. It was commonly known way back then that the first baby was usually safe, but in subsequent births the blood of the baby and mother mix more and if the mother has had a positive baby and formed antibodies, the next baby that is positive may not make it.

My blood type is A- and my husband is A+ but all blood has two genes and while A- is two negatives A+ can be a negative and a positive. My husband's blood evidently had a negative also and that is the gene that was passed on to our two children. So I never had a problem with childbirth but we stopped with two since the chance of ending up in trouble was 50/50.

My daughter had her baby after the shot was discovered. Her baby was positive and they both had the shot. Her baby screamed for about a week and I just thought she was a crying baby but my daughters mother-in-law once stated, "Don't you think that child is crying in an abnormal way for a baby that age." Makes me cringe to think about the possibility that she might have been in pain. She is a healthy teen now. I think the shot was necessary for both my daughter and her daughter. In the past an entire blood transfusion would have been the medical treatment for my grandchild. It was a scary thing at that time to be pregnant and RH negative.

Makes one wonder if the problem with the shot might be because it was given unnecessarily if the baby turns out to be negative.

I went looking for a map about blood types and found this map about A's.
http://lams.slcusd.org/pages/teacher...tribution1.gif

Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
If your daughter is positive, she didn't need the shot. And it is never given to babies. Are you sure it was the rhogam they were given? And if so, do you know why?
My daughter got a negative gene from me and another negative gene from her dad so she is RH negative also. Her daughter was positive and they each needed the shot for that reason. That is why the shot was invented. Neither had to have a transfusion.

I wanted to stop with one healthy child but my husband and daughter wanted another baby so I chanced it. Our son was a very planned child. We talked about it with our daughter insisting she wanted a sibling at the old age of 5 years. It was really funny when we went to church and told our friends we were expecting no one was surprised. It seems that 10 months before our son was born our daughter told her Sunday school teacher we were going to have a baby and that Sunday they prayed for our expected child. Our son turned out RH negative also. My husband did not fully understand my fear of trying for another child. Remember this was before the shot was available. During my pregnancy an Rh positive child was born in a neighboring county to an Rh negative mother. In the confusion after the birth both were to receive blood and they mixed up the blood of the child and gave it to the mother and gave the mother's blood to the child. They both died. He then understood that our blood types are not compatible. Luckily the minus in his (plus, minus) positive blood is dominate.

Rh negative is always -- (minus, minus)
Rh positive can be ++ or +- (plus, plus or plus, minus)
For my children to be -- my husband's blood would have had to be +-.

Last edited by NCN; 05-28-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
NCN

Quote:
This map fascinates me for more than one reason, because in addition to the A allele giving clues as to how certain populations migrated, there is also another theory which this map could easily support:
How the continents divided.

First: Take a look at the south eastern part of Greenland and then Lappland.
Now imagine this map being a puzzle and it being your job to fit the pieces together.

If you were to tilt Europe a little bit to the left, then wouldn’t the entire northern part of Russia almost fit perfectly into one big piece with Greenland?

Then take a look at the south eastern part of the United States and imagine the north western part of Africa fitting right into the gulf area to make it one complete piece with South America being a little bit tilted to the right aligning perfectly into yet another piece.
Also interestingly: The western part of Africa would fit this puzzle in regards to its lower percentage of As being quite similar to that of South America.

As a little reminder: The blood types are for the indigineous people of each area and not the current population of the Americas.
Earthup, we could study things together. I am a retired reference librarian and used to have to pull myself away from charts and maps like the ones on this thread. I would also like to study the different I.Q.'s etc., etc., etc. of the different blood types in the world. I would really like to find a map that shows the individual areas in the United States and the most likely blood types in those areas.

If you really want to study something interesting just look up the blue bloods of Europe. Interesting things come up when you search that. Also I have not been able to find a chart that gives the percentage of African Americans that have negative blood. Somehow I don't think it would be very high.

I seem to have a lot of friends that have Rh negative blood also??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness