Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know your blood type?
0+ 32 24.24%
A+ 29 21.97%
B+ 13 9.85%
AB+ 8 6.06%
0- 14 10.61%
A- 11 8.33%
B- 5 3.79%
AB- 8 6.06%
I do not know my blood type 11 8.33%
I know my blood type but rather not say 1 0.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times

Advertisements

Okay-I see why your daughter got the shot but as I said, babies are not given the shot; they don't need it. Only thing I can think of is maybe they did that just after it was developed and they didn't know any better? Maybe?
Anyway, currently, it's only given to Rh negative mothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,532,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthUp View Post
Actually, the problem is that type 0 negative blood is valued at 2,500 USD a pint, yet donors get nothing. If only 20 percent of what the industry makes with an 0 negative donors was to be given to the one who gets the needle, there would never be a blood shortage.

As a donor - I guess what you might get is a sense of helping someone

A donor in general is a person who donates something voluntarily.
Donor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM

415 posts, read 705,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
As a donor - I guess what you might get is a sense of helping someone

A donor in general is a person who donates something voluntarily.
Donor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is true, but still: Whenever I hear of blood shortages I shake my head as that has nothing to do with the lack of feeling something but everything to do with pharmaceutical greed. The solution is to pay the donors and have the most valuable ones, the 0 negatives on a constant call list.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:36 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,277 times
DH and I are both A-. Is this a risk of some sort to our future children?

Oh and we found out when we moved to Panama and did our driver's licenses-- they require your blood type (they test it) and emergency contact information on the back of every license. I think it's a great practice!

ETA: I can't donate blood because I also get lightheaded and have low blood pressure. TBH though, this was years ago, I should try again. I have soemthing a nurse once called "slippery" veins, so I've always had trouble with blood tests, IVs, etc.

Last edited by LaFemme86; 05-29-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme86 View Post
DH and I are both A-. Is this a risk of some sort to our future children?
No, it is what I call a "safe combination".
Quote:
Oh and we found out when we moved to Panama and did our driver's licenses-- they require your blood type (they test it) and emergency contact information on the back of every license. I think it's a great practice!
This should be a requirement EVERYWHERE.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:48 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthUp View Post
That is true, but still: Whenever I hear of blood shortages I shake my head as that has nothing to do with the lack of feeling something but everything to do with pharmaceutical greed. The solution is to pay the donors and have the most valuable ones, the 0 negatives on a constant call list.
Where do you think the pharmaceutical companies are even involved in blood donation?

To my knowledge, (34+ yrs in a medical lab) they're not. Could be wrong of course-may be I'm missing something-unless it's the preservative that's in the unit.

The policy of paying donors was tried a few yrs ago. Nobody wanted that blood because (right or wrong) the feeling was that drug addicts donated to get money for drugs.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:30 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I learned mine when I went in the service after high school.
I give blood regularly at work when the Armed Services Blood program comes around on donation drives. They set up right in the building and we aren't docked time for going down and giving. We don't get 4 hours of annual leave and I'm govt. Dont know where you work Jasper. (Your kidding about you should get annual leave too right? thats nuts)
Great program.
They started sending me emails asking if I would consider giving plasma. Next time I went in and asked why. I figured I was AB+ and not as universal or needed as O. They said that was platlets, that AB+ was a universal donor for plasma which was used even more. Have no idea whether all the other blood types are universal platlet donors too or what. But...I can't do it. I don't like needles and giving blood is about all I can handle. Plasma is a needle in both arms for about an hour. Yikes.
Anyway...ASBP - great program.
Armed Services Blood Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2012, 06:15 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,532,107 times
I can see incentives such as this, for example -

All donors this week ( June 4-9) get a pair of tickets to the SeaWolves blood donor appreciation game on June 20th
Community Blood Bank – News Feed

Also, some work places will give their employees the rest of the day off [if scheduling permits] when they do the blood donation.

I don't really recall these during the times I was giving blood. I gave blood back then thinking it's a good way to help save other people's lives. Some would say it was our patriotic duty to do so (can't remember who came up with that one). Maybe we did it for the free cookies and juice afterwards?

Still, who doesn't wish for the rest of the day off from work after giving blood? Or, free tickets to a sporting event or other favorite recreational events?

Surely there have been blood shortages through out the years? Although it does seem like more and more people are being turned away based on the criteria for giving blood. I was surprised after returning from an overseas tour in Italy, that the Red Cross no longer wanted me to give blood either. Result of the "possible" risk of contracting the mad-cow disease from eating meat that was tainted.

Fat or Fit? Changing the status quo: Mad cow disease and blood donations

Sure wish there was a way that our medical community could do further blood testing to eventually rule us as safe again but until then...........

Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Here is a list of blood type frequencies according to countries:

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Where do you think the pharmaceutical companies are even involved in blood donation?

To my knowledge, (34+ yrs in a medical lab) they're not. Could be wrong of course-may be I'm missing something-unless it's the preservative that's in the unit.

The preservative is what is in question. But again: I am only raising a topic many are wondering about, so whatever decision people make needs to be on an individual basis after educating themselves as much as possible.

Quote:
The policy of paying donors was tried a few yrs ago. Nobody wanted that blood because (right or wrong) the feeling was that drug addicts donated to get money for drugs.
Don't donors get tested for drug use and diseases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness