U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know your blood type?
0+ 32 24.24%
A+ 29 21.97%
B+ 13 9.85%
AB+ 8 6.06%
0- 14 10.61%
A- 11 8.33%
B- 5 3.79%
AB- 8 6.06%
I do not know my blood type 11 8.33%
I know my blood type but rather not say 1 0.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:23 PM

415 posts, read 623,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I'm AB-, but I would like to learn more about blood and bloodtypes.
I will change my profile link to my Facebook profile, so if anyone here want to get more info on rh negative issues: We have a few groups on Facebook where we look at all the issues independently and talk about alternatives to the shots. Whether feasible or not. Why we more or less are being pushed into trusting just one pharmaceutical product which seems to have a monopoly aside from a few other products such as Rhophylac® which may or may not be any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:24 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
How can people get to be grown adults in a civilized society and NOT know their blood type???

O positive here btw.
Knowing your blood type doesn't seem to be very emphasized here in the States. I think lately though, more campaigns to get people educated about blood have been happening. When I was in school, there wasn't much talk about blood types. Blood, yes, blood donating and stuff, yes, but they didn't say, "Hey ... you might wanna know your blood type."

Old 12-21-2011, 07:27 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthUp View Post
I will change my profile link to my Facebook profile, so if anyone here want to get more info on rh negative issues: We have a few groups on Facebook where we look at all the issues independently and talk about alternatives to the shots. Whether feasible or not. Why we more or less are being pushed into trusting just one pharmaceutical product which seems to have a monopoly aside from a few other products such as Rhophylac® which may or may not be any better.
If you are the original creator of this thread then I can see why people think you have an agenda with this thread. LOL Sorry, just being honest. With that said though, I respect your concern with the vaccines and what not. I came into this thread thinking it was just a thread to discuss blood and blood types. Thank you very much for the invitation, I will check it out just out of curiosity.

I don't know if blood can be grouped into the RH factor, can it? Meaning, I don't think that all people who have RH- are automatically susceptible to certain diseases.

Correct me if I am wrong, please. I just can't imagine that all who are RH- have some predisposed disease opportunity.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
If you are the original creator of this thread then I can see why people think you have an agenda with this thread. LOL Sorry, just being honest. With that said though, I respect your concern with the vaccines and what not. I came into this thread thinking it was just a thread to discuss blood and blood types. Thank you very much for the invitation, I will check it out just out of curiosity.

I don't know if blood can be grouped into the RH factor, can it? Meaning, I don't think that all people who have RH- are automatically susceptible to certain diseases.

Correct me if I am wrong, please. I just can't imagine that all who are RH- have some predisposed disease opportunity.
Rh disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You see: You shouldn't assume that someone who wants to get deeper into a subject matter has an agenda. Educate yourself before you assume, please. I am simply offering a little help to anyone who wants to learn more about what the doctors and medical professionals as well as the pharmaceutical industries have no desire about informing you.

People need to make up their own mind rather than listening to who supposedly knows best yet makes billions from those who may get sick of of it. Sorry for trying to help you. To all those who want more information, there is a lot on the way, but not much I can disclose yet.

Here is a little something more to those who are truly interested:

Dangers of Rhogam in Pregnancy

And here is the interesting part:

Quote:
EUROPE only administers after pregnancy! During pregnancy is a decision that was made by the manufacturer to make money.

Anybody know why it is still safe to do that?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 PM

893 posts, read 1,265,648 times
[quote=North Beach Person;22221102]You seemed to advocate that. Throwing in the anti-pharmaceutical company was what I thought was a tip off. Are you advocating not using Rhogam for couples such as Mrs. NBP and I whose children have both negative and positive blood types.

Why don't some Americans not knoe their blood types? Laziness and, as a couple people have proven in this thread, stupidity. Anyone who served in the military should know their's, it's imprinted on their dog tags.[/quote

Since i referenced the military in my post, I hasten to add that I was a military dependent and thus I had no dog tags.

I also wouldn't assume stupidity for people not knowing their blood type - more so, I would attribute it to the sense of immortality that one possesses in their early years where blood transfusions and the like take a back seat to visions of sugar plums......Health professionals probably should make it a more prominant feature on one's health record from inception.

Actually, I visited some of the links in this thread and was surprised to read of some of the risks with RhoGam - glad I don't have to make that choice anymore. I had wondered about the issue of it being a blood product as the AIDS issue became a concern, particularly when one of my children displayed immune system issues while young.

I myself will read up on the topic. And I won't tell the story of being chased by a Rhesus monkey at the New Orleans zoo while i was in my first trimester because one would then have to wonder if I was B+ up until that point..................

Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 PM

5,263 posts, read 8,045,719 times
Female, O-.

Husband is B+ ... and I had the Rhogam shot.

My kids are both +s - and I, nor my kids experienced anything negative () concerning the shot.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,008,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Weight at least 110 (I'm only 95) - can't have received a transfusion, there are various questions on HIV, etc. but can't recall them as they took one look at me a laughed.

Oh, well I've recieved a transfusion....Wow, so I can't give back then, ok.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 AM

9,209 posts, read 18,039,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post

I also wouldn't assume stupidity for people not knowing their blood type - more so, I would attribute it to the sense of immortality that one possesses in their early years where blood transfusions and the like take a back seat to visions of sugar plums......Health professionals probably should make it a more prominant feature on one's health record from inception.
I have to disagree; if it's not stupidity, it's deliberate ignorance. I don't mean that in the sense of "you need to know your blood type or you're gonna die!" or "the powers that be don't want you to care about your blood type for some secret reason."

I just mean that it's a common, easily learned, trait about yourself that everyone should know, like height, weight, eye color, hair color, gender. Not knowing your blood type, to me, is like not knowing your eye color. Wouldn't you think a person stupid or ignorant if he couldn't tell you his eye color? His height?

We all (I hope) learned basic genetics, even in elementary school, and we had to do those little charts with us and our parents on certain traits we have, and learn about dominant and recessive traits. So even if you didn't learn your blood type at a really young age like I did, you should probably at least learn it in 5th or 6th grade when you learn about the very basics of genetics. Doing a little heredity chart on your blood type and your parents is almost as basic as doing one on your hair color.

Or maybe the public school system has gotten even worse than I'd feared and kids don't do this stuff anymore? All their science classes are now about carbon footprints and recycling?

Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM

And here is more in regards to the Rhogam shot: In Europe it gets injected AFTER the first pregnancy to build up antigens for the second potentially fatal pregnancy without harming the first child while in the United States it gets administered after 28 weeks into the first pregnancy. Autism in Europe is much lower than in the United States.

Rhogam: Why do European rh negative mothers receive the shot AFTER their first pregnancy and American mothers DURING their first pregnancy? | Rhesus Negative

Old 12-28-2011, 11:56 AM

For those who have asked me about the cheapest testing kits: ABO Rh Eldoncard Student Kit - Carolina Biological Supply Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness