U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know your blood type?
0+ 32 24.24%
A+ 29 21.97%
B+ 13 9.85%
AB+ 8 6.06%
0- 14 10.61%
A- 11 8.33%
B- 5 3.79%
AB- 8 6.06%
I do not know my blood type 11 8.33%
I know my blood type but rather not say 1 0.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM

39,367 posts, read 14,438,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I am O-

I've never donated blood, but have recieved some!

I would like to give back though, what other qualifications must you have (or not)?
It's great that you want to give back, D217!
Here are the donation requirements per the American Red Cross web site: Eligibility Requirements | American Red Cross

I'm AB+ and a regular blood donor; have donated 134 units so far (over 16.5 gallons). I've only been lightheaded one time after donating, and it was the only time that I had an empty stomach when I went to donate. That was over 30 years ago, and now I always eat a little something at least within a couple hours before donating. Never have a problem now.

I have an interesting little card on my desk that the Red Cross gave me a while back. It includes this chart that shows the different blood types, who may give each type and who may receive each type.

The card also shows the percentages of people who have each blood type:
O+ 38%
O- 7%
A+ 34%
A- 6%
B+ 9%
B- 2%
AB+ 3%
AB- 1%
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-28-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:33 PM

39,367 posts, read 14,438,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Oh, well I've recieved a transfusion....Wow, so I can't give back then, ok.
Don't give up! The Red Cross web site says this about potential donors who've had blood transfusions:

"Wait for 12 months after receiving a blood transfusion from another person in the United States."

There are some restrictions if you've received transfusions in countries other than the U.S.

Again, visit the Red Cross site for detailed info: Eligibility Criteria by Topic | American Red Cross
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,016,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Don't give up! The Red Cross web site says this about potential donors who've had blood transfusions:

"Wait for 12 months after receiving a blood transfusion from another person in the United States."

There are some restrictions if you've received transfusions in countries other than the U.S.

Again, visit the Red Cross site for detailed info: Eligibility Criteria by Topic | American Red Cross

Thanks for the info!

It's been about 5yrs, and I wasn't sick or anything, just lost alot of blood due to a medical emergency...

I'd really like to donate. I am O-, and I know we can only recieve from other O-'s!

Thanks again, I will look into it!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM

12 posts, read 15,565 times
Well, according SE Community Blood Center, I'm A+, but I was born O+. Apparently, it's something I've inherited from my Dad's side.Anyone mind explaining this?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:18 PM

415 posts, read 623,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolGal View Post
Well, according SE Community Blood Center, I'm A+, but I was born O+. Apparently, it's something I've inherited from my Dad's side.Anyone mind explaining this?
I will look a little bit deeper into this as I am getting a few claims like that. It could be that you are A, but 0 recessive and one test shown the recessive trait and the other the dominant trait.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:56 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Here is a chart that shows geographical variation in blood types. Our forum has twice as many Negatives as would be expected. (Click 'show' on the chart beneath this one, for racial and ethnic distribution.)

Blood type - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-22-2012, 04:41 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,906,854 times
The Wikipedia chart makes sense to me being my ancestry is in the european countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_t...ion_by_country

Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 AM

3,701 posts, read 3,995,179 times
I know my blood type because I was a frequent blood donor, but I don't agree that everyone needs to know their type. Unless you are visiting a country like China where blood of your type is not readily available for transfusion, what is the point? Under normal circumstances, an American hospital will type and cross match before a transfusion. The cross match will prevent someone from receiving an incompatible blood type.

In terms of pregnancy, the Rh- expectant mother's blood will be periodically tested, as it should be. There are way too many cases where the husband and/or putative father is not the biological father. If testing reveals a problem, Mother gets a shot, future baby protected. No need to know "father's" blood type.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 PM

415 posts, read 623,991 times
Just a quick reminder: If you do not know your blood type, please vote for that option to help us get an idea of how many people are unaware of what they are.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM

706 posts, read 1,722,230 times
The last time my doctor ordered a blood test for me, I told him I'd like to know what my blood type is, so he noted that on his lab order. When I got to the lab, they told me they would charge me $40 to type my blood, and my insurance would not pay for it. So, needless to say, I have no idea what my blood type is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness