U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 02:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,660,093 times

Advertisements

I've been having terrible knee problems for years. Turned out I had torn meniscus in both knees. I had arthroscopic surgery on one knee and it turned out great. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter, I retore the portion that was fixed along with more tearing in that same knee.

I went back to the doc and he ordered another MRI. It turns out that not only do I have the torn meniscus but I also have a loss of cartilage and arthritis (all this in both knees).

The pain is unbearable. When I try to stand up from a sitting position, it hurts like crazy. When I walk up or down stairs, it is agonizing (I live in a second story walk-up apartment). Even sometimes just sitting, the pain is there.

My doc is suggesting I see a collegue of his about knee replacement surgery. I do NOT want to do something so drastic right now. I want to try other things.

I started taking Flexamin about a month ago. No change whatsoever. It has glucosamine/chondroiting/msm. I thought for sure it would help at least a bit but it doesn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something to build up cartilage, take the joint pain away, etc?

Thanks!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,728,833 times
I've had an increasingly painful hip/lower back that has been causing, on and off, painful sciatica.
It's something that i've been living with without too much trouble (as it comes and goes and is never that bad) for a year and a half now.
2 weeks ago i really torqued my back and crisis with this issue ensued.
I've been taking, just for a short time now, a product called Curamin.
Got Pain? :: Get Curamin, a BCM-95 curcumin pain relief
A very athletic woman that i know has injured herself many times over the years and she has been taking this product since it came on the market (she owns a nutrition store) and she swears by it.
I could barely walk yesterday and i did what i very rarely do. I took some pain reliever. It (Aleve) barely took the edge off.
I've been using the Curamin but not as much as recommended (it's very expensive) but this morning i took the full dosage and this is the best day i've had since this crisis began.
I actually have no pain today .... just some awareness of some vulnerability.
I can't for certain attribute this improvement to the Curamin because i've also been icing and following the instructions of a really good physical therapist that i saw this week and i do know that the body, if allowed and supported, naturally heals.
But i'm going to keep taking it regardless of the cost.
I'm not into relying on supplements but i've never been injured before and have never been incapacitated (and i don't like it!) and so i'll indulge in this rather expensive product and see if it works.
If it does, i don't care about the cost.
I'll do some re-budgeting if needed.
By the way, have you seen a good physical therapist?
A good physical therapist will be able to show you how to correctly and safely strengthen and balance your body in order to alleviate the issue and the pain.
Good luck.

"Curamin contains a super-absorption curcumin called BCM-95 that can be up to 10 times stronger than plain curcumin products. Known for its ability to balance the body's natural inflammatory response, BCM-95 has been proven in published clinical studies to provide consistent and long-lasting effect..........Moderator cut: too long a quote

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-18-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 05:23 PM

421 posts, read 885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I've been having terrible knee problems for years. Turned out I had torn meniscus in both knees. I had arthroscopic surgery on one knee and it turned out great. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter, I retore the portion that was fixed along with more tearing in that same knee.

I went back to the doc and he ordered another MRI. It turns out that not only do I have the torn meniscus but I also have a loss of cartilage and arthritis (all this in both knees).

The pain is unbearable. When I try to stand up from a sitting position, it hurts like crazy. When I walk up or down stairs, it is agonizing (I live in a second story walk-up apartment). Even sometimes just sitting, the pain is there.

My doc is suggesting I see a collegue of his about knee replacement surgery. I do NOT want to do something so drastic right now. I want to try other things.

I started taking Flexamin about a month ago. No change whatsoever. It has glucosamine/chondroiting/msm. I thought for sure it would help at least a bit but it doesn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something to build up cartilage, take the joint pain away, etc?

Thanks!!!!
Just like people that want to live in an incredible place with perfect climate, cheap houses and plenty of jobs.... it doesn't exist. I've just had a partial knee replacement three months ago because of the exact type of symptoms you are describing.There isn't a quick and easy answer except surgery. When the cartilige is gone and you have the menisus torn there isn't much to do from a surgeon's standpoint.

Just make sure you have a qualified orthopedic surgeon and you will be fine, but the first month will be rather painful because you will be walking on your surgery site. Take pain pills, rest and it will be over before you know it.

I am now completely pain free and I can walk as much as I want, currently about 4 miles a day and building.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:57 PM

699 posts, read 1,796,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
When the cartilige is gone and you have the menisus torn there isn't much to do from a surgeon's standpoint.

Just make sure you have a qualified orthopedic surgeon and you will be fine..
true that.

just do it.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:29 PM

4,502 posts, read 11,660,093 times
yikes... I really didn't want to do surgery. I just had a major surgery done in September and had complications afterwards and a 2 week "down time" turned into 2 1/2 months "down time".

There's nothing at all to rebuild cartilage?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,335,973 times
Quote:
yikes... I really didn't want to do surgery. I just had a major surgery done in September and had complications afterwards and a 2 week "down time" turned into 2 1/2 months "down time".

How old are you?

Have you sought a second opinion?

My layman's thinking is that many or most things heal better than they can be repaired. I would personally do a lot of waiting around and nursing along before I opted out of the knees I was born with.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 12-18-2011 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 PM

9,863 posts, read 8,983,408 times
I fought it for several years ... P A I N so bad even turning and changing positions in my sleep and moving the knees would wake me up. Then I started falling ... take a step and knee just wasn't there.

My family doctor did an xray in his office (2009) and told me you are bone on bone and wanted to send me to an orthopedic surgeon. I wasn't ready so he prescribed Mobic (Meloxicam.) It didn't help and the pain became a constant.

It got to the point I wasn't going to be able to walk the pain was so bad. I gave up last December and had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. It came down to which knee do you want to do first.

I had total knee replacement surgery on my right knee in February this year ... it ain't no fun ... but it works. After surgery and rehab no pain in that knee ... I was in out-patient therapy for three months and regained my flex (bend) and extension in that knee .... no pain in right knee but left knee is still a problem so I am going back this coming February to discuss another surgery ... well maybe!

You could ask your doctor about 'rooster comb' injections. A friend of mine had five rooster comb injections and thus far it has helped her. We were seeing the same ortho doc and he said I had no cartilage left at all and the rooster comb injections wouldn't work for my knees.

I did have cortisone injections when all this started but eventually that didn't work. It's a difficult decision, I wanted to keep all my original equipment that I came into this world with ... no foreign objects in my body.

But it comes down to PAIN and quality of life ... a wheel chair or scooter chair. If this other knee wasn't giving me a fit I would just settle for one good knee. I just hope nothing else wears out on me.

I know what you are going through and I hope you find something that will help. I searched far and wide before deciding upon the surgery.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 AM

4,683 posts, read 5,835,337 times
Quote:

omigawd and jaijai
You didn't say how old either of you are but it sound like both of you are older and both have a combination of meniscal tears and arthritis. They do surgery for certain types of meniscal tears but it depend on the type of tear and the age of the patient. If you are older than early 30's, there is no chance of a meniscal repair. Someone mentioned about 'rooster comb' injections. This is something called Synvisc and there are around 4-5 similar type injections. They are a temporary solution. The idea is to inject the lubricating solution around the knee. The original Synvisc used a series of 3 shots done one week apart. They were supposed to work anywhere from 3 months to a year. Many people don't see any benefit but there is virtually no risk. Oral supplements like Glucosomine, Chondrodon, MSM, etc. do very little if anything. Painkillers such as NSAIDs and cortisone injections will mask the pain but won't do anything to improve the situation. What you have is bone rubbing on bone. Once you lose or tear the meniscus, there is nothing between the bones in your knee. It will not grow back since there is hardly any blood supply in the meniscus to regenerate the meniscus. A physical therapist can't do anything to help. And a supplement like Curamin is not going to help any more than aspirin or Ibuprofen. You might ask your doctor to prscribe 800 milligram Ibuprofen instead. I'm sure it will be cheaper. I have done the Synvisc, gobbled thousands of Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM/etc. supplements did physical therapy and had arthroscopic surgery on my knee. It comes down to delaying knee replacement surgery for as long as you can. Don't waste your money on gimmicks or snake oil.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:45 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,210,720 times
My knees were basically shot in my mid 30's. Shot as in, the spacing between the joints gone.

Bone on bone contact causes the bones to thicken(as long as you are healthy, no osteo diseases)and gets desensitized. So I do not do too badly, can walk and get around fine. Can I run........not really...........I don't care though.........I fricken hate running, always have.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,557,788 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!!
I had knee pain for several years probably due to many years of martial arts practice. I started taking a Hyaluronic Acid/Hydrolyzed Collagen supplement. No pain after 1 month! Now I can walk up and down the steepest hills in San Francisco with no pain instead of a lot of pain when walking downhill.

Moderator cut: no ads allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-20-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness