Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,683 times

Advertisements

My friend has a 6 year old that she did not circumcize at birth, and now she regrets it. So my question is, should she have it done now or wait till hes older? I'm not asking about peoples preferences for the procedure or for anyone to say let him decide. At this point she is saying she will have it done, so it's not up to him. Apperently he hates having the skin rolled back to clean because it hurts. I have no idea to what degree it's painful or if he reached the age he just doesn't want her doing it or what. I'm asking more to the pain and care aspect. Would it be better for him now, or when he's older? Any experiences?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 PM

65 posts, read 218,524 times
do it now.my son was done at birth in 2005.i never got it done and i'm 35 and while it has its advantages in the sex department for men there are disadvantages too and the skin starts growing and it does get to be a pain to clean and it does hurt from time to time.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
From what I've read, adult men find it very painful to get circumcised. He will have pain now but more later if she waits.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,485 times
Our oldest did not get it done till he was about 10 or 11. It was a cultural thing. It was his choice to get it done at that time. He wished he had it done as a baby. Our youngest got it done shortly after birth.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Heck...I've done without it being done for almost 79 yrs next month. Now the urology MD says I should have it done now because of a pending Prostate Surgery.

I asked him if this was needed considering my age and what time I've left. His answer was I would have a continueing infection problem that antibiotics won't cure.

Let the boy be...after all he was born that way and it is normal.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
My friend has a 6 year old that she did not circumcize at birth, and now she regrets it. So my question is, should she have it done now or wait till hes older? I'm not asking about peoples preferences for the procedure or for anyone to say let him decide. At this point she is saying she will have it done, so it's not up to him. Apperently he hates having the skin rolled back to clean because it hurts. I have no idea to what degree it's painful or if he reached the age he just doesn't want her doing it or what. I'm asking more to the pain and care aspect. Would it be better for him now, or when he's older? Any experiences?
I would shop around to see who offers what as to knocking him out to have it done verses him being awake. If anything, he may get traumatized if he's awake for it.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Has your friend consulted a urologist? It seems the foreskin may be too tight, a condition called phimosis. It could be done now, and probably he would have general anesthesia. The urologist could outline the expected benefits and risks.

Has the boy been playing "show me yours and I'll show you mine" with his friends? Any chance he's the only one in the group who's not circumcised? Just a thought.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
His foreskin may not be ready for full retraction at his age. Most boys are fully retractable at age 5, but not all; up to age 8, it's not a worry, but should be seen by a doctor if it hasn't loosened up by then. She may just be forcing it further than it wants to go right now. She should wait; her little boy could end up very resentful that his mom made this decision for him.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:48 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
This can be a BIG problem. It is a horrible surgery for the grown man. However, he may never have to have it done. Time and growth could take care of the pain problem for him. It may be that his parents are too harsh with the cleaning and retraction part. It's difficult to say what is neccesary and what is not.

At this age, I think I would take a chance and let it go. Many men live to a ripe old age without any problem.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
Well one is 6 years old is old enough to take a bath by yourself. That is for sure. Leave it alone and go to the doctor for check ups like normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness