Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times

Advertisements

Traditional Medicinal's does make great herbal teas.
And this is one of my favorite remedies for respiratory issues.
Planetary Herbals :: Loquat Respiratory Syrup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 02:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The only time I ever succeeded in preventing a cold when I felt one coming on, was when I was in Mexico. I went out and bought about a kilo or two of fresh limones (key limes), and sat up all evening drinking hot tea with the limone juice squeezed into it. I woke up the next morning feeling fine, and never came down with a cold.

One other time, I needed to go on a trip that would require about 36 hours of nonstop driving. I came down with a cold the day before, and had to go anyway, and when I got there my cold was gone. Driving in the winter, heater on, very dry air in the car, boxes of tissues on the seat next to me in my controlled isolation chamber. (Mapquest says the drive now is 28 hours, but there were no interstates in those days.)

Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Why don't they come up with the Cold Vaccines?

Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why don't they come up with the Cold Vaccines?
They've tried to develop a cold vaccine, but the problem is that colds are viruses, that genetically modify frequently which makes getting the right range of viruses difficult. Until then, we'll just have to suffer.

My favorite cold remedy is zinc tablets. Zinc seems to lessen the effects of a cold, and I get better faster.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:37 PM

698 posts, read 2,840,615 times
I used to use Zicam nasal swabs before they banned the sale of them. Whatever that company still has on the market doesn't work as well for me. (It was banned because it was known to make frequent users lose their sense of smell. Too bad because it was great for colds.)

Without that to use anymore I tried something called Coldcalm by Boiron, a homeopathic med made in France that is put in your mouth to dissolve. It is supposed to be taken immediately after symptoms appear, so I carry a blister pack in my purse. You never know when a cold will creep up.

I have never found anything that completely stops a cold from coming on but this stuff really did lessen the severity and duration.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:09 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
. . . I have never found anything that completely stops a cold from coming on but this stuff really did lessen the severity and duration.
I haven't had a cold since 2003. That's when I began taking Vitamin C every day. I take 500 mg twice a day, because the body is unable to absorb more than 500 mg at one time.

This is my experience and I stumbled onto it because I'd started to catch a cold the day before flying to Jerusalem and I panicked, fearing I'd be feeling miserable.

It totally worked; no cold developed! I was taking 1000 mg 2 or 3 times a day for the first couple of days. I didn't know about the maximum absorption ratio at that time, but a Dr. told me later.

So that's my method; I don't let myself get one in the first place. Don't know if this would work for anyone else.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
the whole line of teas that throat coat comes from is good for colds, they have a bunch, my favorite was teh gypsy cold care, i think the brand name was traditional medicinals, but they are all really good and dont taste that bad... tho the throat coat is a bit syrupy, add a teaspoon of honey and it goes down like candy

also, vitamin c... dont care what the doctors say, when i get sick i start poppin vitamin c like candy and within a day or so im over whatever i have
1000mg of C good enough for the day?

Old 12-24-2011, 08:52 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
^^ Yes, but take it in 2 - 500mg doses for best results. Because of the maximum absorption factor.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^ Yes, but take it in 2 - 500mg doses for best results. Because of the maximum absorption factor.
I have Airborne. Each tablet is 250mg C plus others. So 4 times a day?

Old 12-25-2011, 02:18 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times
Zinc 12mg chewable tablets one daily when I feel the beginnings of a cold myself or when other people around me are sick. Vitamin C 500mg daily. I have found this combination has made me less susceptible to getting a cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness