U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,552,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you use Rx sunglasses, you'll be juggling four pairs.
I've got crappy vision for reading and distance, and I go in and outside a lot, so I get glasses that have the no-line bifocal and the transitions lenses that darken when you go outside. They cost a bazillion dollars, but if you can swing it they're well worth it. They also make non-prescription sunglasses that fit over regular glasses, and they look pretty good. Opticians sell them. I've seen them at Walmart optical for about $20.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:06 PM

575 posts, read 849,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I need some advice. I just got my eyes examined and realized that for the first time in my life, one prescription isn't enough for me. My choices are to either get two pairs of glasses or bifocals. I don't know which choice would be better. Part of me thinks it would be annoying to switch between two pairs of glasses but part of my also thinks it would be annoying to have to look up or down with the same pair. I know no one can tell me which option would be best for me but I'd sure appreciate some opinions. Thanks.
Progressive lenses. Bifocals have the noticeable line in the middle of the lens.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,005,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
You get used to bifocals. So many people have.

Actually I tried having bifocals for every day all the time wear and reading glasses for serious study or extended reading. Eventually I just couldn't stand that so switched over to bifocals exclusively. Give yourself some time. Going up and down stairs was difficult for me at first but now I don't even notice.
Yes, until you get used to bifocals , they really are the best choice, LOOK DOWN AT YOUR FEET WHEN USING STAIRS OR CURBS!!

You will quickly get used to them but until you do look where you walk!!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:15 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,263,870 times
I have Varilux progressive bifocals. Took about a day to get used to them. Never give them a thought now. They become perfectly "normal" in very short order.

39dollarglasses.com is another good place for bifocals.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,455,105 times
I like having a regular pair of glasses, with the bi-focal, and a cheap pair from the pharmacy of readers, because...the readers will give you more room to read. So, if you do computer work, or whatever...alot, which I do...the readers are actually better, because the entire lens is the add power. Unless you have an astigmatism...in which case, you would need glasses anyway...

I also added my scrip to sunglasses, which I LOVE...because now I can actually SEE my GPS, and blackberry in the car with sunglasses on...

Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Lenscrafters offers 30% off if you have AAA or AARP other wise Progressive lenses with protection coating and anti scratch and glare can easily get about $450 for just the lenses. One way to save not having to buy seperate glasses and sunglasses is to get the type that has clip on magnetic sunshades that go over your regular lenses. Costco is the most economical way to buy fashionable glasses and lenses at very affordable prices and if you want sunglasses, or a second pair of glasses, they will be 25% off. My sunglasses themselves only cost $14 with discount. I got a prescription pair of progressive glasses and a progressive pair of sunglasses that totaled a bit over $400 including anti glare, scratch resistant lenses.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:39 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,814,549 times
A few years ago I got progressive lens glasses and never ever ever got used to them. I had severe headaches and nausea, which is very abnormal for me.

Then I got traditional bi-focals with the line in the middle and adapted to them quickly. They are just a normal part of life, now.

However, I keep a regular pair of single vision glasses for just for driving. Driving with bi-focals gives me the collywobbles.

Everyone's eyes and brains and stomaches are different - I'll bet you'll just have to experiment to find what's right for you.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:21 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,552,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
A few years ago I got progressive lens glasses and never ever ever got used to them. I had severe headaches and nausea, which is very abnormal for me.
Your lenses may not have been done correctly to line up right. If you don't get used to them within a few days, you should take them back and have all the measurements checked.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Status: "No, I do not think I have all the answers..." (set 8 hours ago)

9,754 posts, read 21,607,534 times
I was told by an Optometrist several years ago that I needed bifocals. I tried them and they made me nauseous every time I tried to wear them. So I have glasses for seeing distance and reading glasses. For me, it doesn't bother me to switch back and forth. Much better than being constantly nauseated.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:00 PM

It took a few days for me to get use to it too especially when walking down steps and I get motion sickness easily. Been wearing them now for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness