U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I also added my scrip to sunglasses, which I LOVE...because now I can actually SEE my GPS, and blackberry in the car with sunglasses on...
Isn't that just the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Actually, you need all 3. Distance for driving, reading for---reading, bifocals for everything else. I couldn't adjust to bifocals for driving, but find bifocals work for in stores, etc.

Get cheap frames for driving, no one sees you, anyways. Oh, yes, and you will need sunglasses for driving, or get those goofy clip-on things we were always so embarassed when our parents wore them. Or, just forget the whole mess, eat carrots, and drive carefully!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
I recently bought a "macular degeneration/diabetic retinopathy" cookbook--things to eat to keep these diseases at bay, on "Amazon". It was actually very informative. And since I have four Grandparents who had Macular Degeneration, I am pretty sure I am winning that genetic lottery chip...

Old 06-28-2014, 02:42 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,238,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Everyone's eyes and brains and stomaches are different - I'll bet you'll just have to experiment to find what's right for you.
Exactly! If I were to experiment with a new eyeglass prescription, I'd buy them in a store with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. In 2013, I bought glasses that bothered me a lot and exchanged them.

For now, I prefer wearing distance glasses for driving and reading glasses for reading books. Maybe in the future, as my eyesight becomes progressively worse, I'll change my mind. I like to lie on the couch to read and watch TV, and bifocals made me dizzy. I always feel the need to close my eyes first before moving my head to focus or I get nauseous.

To read I use my prescription distance glasses with a large pair of cheaters over them. I bought them in Dollar Tree for a buck, so they weren't a big investment! Of course this is only a temporary fix since I can't walk around with 2 pairs of glasses on my nose. Over-the-counter reading glasses only magnify your vision, so I need to use them with my distance glasses because of my astigmatism. However, they really do work! By the way, I just had an eye exam a couple of weeks ago to make sure they were healthy so I am not self-diagnosing. I plan to buy prescription reading glasses soon.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 PM

3,673 posts, read 2,482,456 times
Bifocals can cause headaches because adjusting to the abrupt changes in vision can be tiring to the eyes... At least that's what my mother's ophthalmologist told me.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 AM

1,792 posts, read 2,384,767 times
I wear bifocals most of the time, but when I'm using the computer I wear reading glasses that I got at the drug store. I don't like wearing bifocals to use the computer because I have to keep my chin up and it gets tiring.

I did try progressive lenses but they just didn't work for me, so I went back to the old-fashioned bifocals with the obvious line. If that makes me look older, oh well.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 AM

2,667 posts, read 2,735,910 times
The only problem I had when switching to bifocals was going down the stairs. But that only lasted a short while. Now, I have tri-focals because I shoot rifles. I love them. The problem with having 2 pairs of glasses it that you constantly have to remember to carry both pairs.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 PM

14,271 posts, read 15,238,189 times
I just thought I'd share this in case it helps someone else who needs reading glasses. Of course it's always best to buy them from an eyeglass store and get the correct prescription, but here's a hint.

I was chatting with one of the salespeople in Walmart and he told me that reading glasses are just your distance prescription with the add factor (+2.5 for example) Because of my astigmatism, cheaters alone didn't work well, and the words were still blurry. So I bought a large pair of cheaters in Dollar Tree for a buck to see if they'd work over my glasses. Guess what? I just finished reading another book using this combination! Of course you don't want to walk around wearing 2 pairs of glasses, but for reading a book or the newspaper at home, it's a quick fix.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 AM

234 posts, read 157,709 times
I realise the original post is old, but I am facing a problem with my glasses now.

I was told a few years ago that I needed bifocals, but I avoided them like the plague. I do not like having glasses on my face all day, and I do not want to attach lenses to my eyeballs. I have always been perfectly happy with my reading glasses, but my distance vision has grown worse.

I bought no-line bifocals with the expectation that I would be happy to be able to see better from afar as well as up close, but they do not seem to be working for me. I was thrilled that I could finally see the telly from across the room, and reading post and what not is okay (I still like reading glasses better because there is no distortion), but the vision through the direct centre of the lenses is awful! I cannot read anything very well on my computer, and the computer screen looks concave instead of flat. If I try to use the lower portion of the lenses to see the computer, I have to tilt my head back in such an unnatural position that I soon get pain in my neck and a headache.

I am not sure what to do. Have any of you had this problem? I am considering using two pair of glasses. I only really need the distance vision for driving and for watching telly. My reading glasses Rx pretty much suffice for everything else. I hate to spend money on two pair of glasses, though. : (

Old 07-03-2017, 11:35 AM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
One pair is more convenient to have than 2. When I wore glasses I went for the tri-focals which took awhile to get used to but were a godsend later on as I became adjusted to them.
Later I got laser surgery and eliminated glasses except for 2.50 readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness