U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 12:15 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,197 posts, read 2,713,244 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I just got my eyes examined and realized that for the first time in my life, one prescription isn't enough for me. My choices are to either get two pairs of glasses or bifocals. I don't know which choice would be better. Part of me thinks it would be annoying to switch between two pairs of glasses but part of my also thinks it would be annoying to have to look up or down with the same pair. I know no one can tell me which option would be best for me but I'd sure appreciate some opinions. Thanks.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-22-2011 at 05:22 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,618,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Part of me thinks it would be annoying to switch between two pairs of glasses but part of my also thinks it would be annoying to have to look up or down with the same pair.
I tried two pairs for a while, but soon switched over to continuous gradient bifocals. Two pairs worked OK for driving and working on the computer. But what was really inconvenient was shopping in stores. With the distant pair I could see the signs and where I was going, but could not read labels. With the close-up pair, I could read labels, but not find my way around the store.

Using the continuous gradient lenses makes it easy to transition between far and near vision. I have never used the true bi-focals, so I can't comment on them.

Of course it depends on your work and other activities.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
You get used to bifocals. So many people have.

Actually I tried having bifocals for every day all the time wear and reading glasses for serious study or extended reading. Eventually I just couldn't stand that so switched over to bifocals exclusively. Give yourself some time. Going up and down stairs was difficult for me at first but now I don't even notice.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:33 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,495,562 times
Some people can never get used to bifocals, but the kind that has a continuous gradient seems to be easier for most people.

Another option if you can tolerate contacts and get used to wearing them this way is to have one eye corrected for near vision and one for far. If you can used to that, your brain will just cancel out whichever image is blurry. This is how my eyes are naturally and how many people choose to have their eyes corrected when they have laser surgery. The only downside is that you lose binocular vision - you can't "see" the 3D-ness of objects but must rely on other clues like overlap and relative size to judge distance. This was a problem when I was a kid learning to play catch but over time I adapted to it.

Or you could wear contacts to correct for distance and use "cheater" glasses for close reading when needed.

And here for your entertainment is Bill Cosby's routine about when he first got trifocals - it's hilarious.

Bill Cosby: 49 (Part 3 of 7) - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
Get cheap bifocals -- (or progressive glasses, which don't show the lines) -- at zenni.com and see if you can handle the bifocals. They are probably the least expensive option for purchasing glasses of any type.

I know one person who can't wear them, and he uses two pairs of glasses.

They take a little getting used to, especially when walking down stairs. Just hang on to the railing until you get used to them. It should take only a few days.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:22 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,547,889 times
It really only took me a day to get used to bifocals. I would never consider going back and forth between 2 pairs of glasses.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM

3,287 posts, read 4,937,486 times
If you're used to wearing glasses all day everyday, it will be a real pain to go to having to switch off all the time. I say go for one pair and give yourself time to get used to them, as others have suggested.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
I just loved my gradient lens bifocals. I got used to them very quickly, maybe a day, and it was "go" for the next 20 yrs. I had to have cataract surgery this year so now I only need reading glasses (corrected my vision for distance). I say the OP should get the gradient lenses.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 AM

6,233 posts, read 18,123,468 times
I'm a dual vision contact wearer but when I don't feel like wearing them I have bifocals with the line because I couldn't afford progressives when I got them. You do get used to them and I can't imagine having 2 pairs of glasses to switch between; that's something else to lose. When you go down stairs you have to be sure to keep looking through the same lens and hold on to the rail as was suggested. If you can afford progressives go for it; I've had them before and loved them.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Use of bifocals becomes automatic after a very short acclimation time. Less than a week, and you'll forget that you've got them.

I've worn only bifocals for decades, but just lately, I ordered a pair of reading glasses from Zenni for ten bucks, which I keep next to the bed for reading.

Only thing about bifocals, you can't recline in a Lay-Z-Boy and watch TV, you'll need to keep your head almost vertical for that.

Bifocals are essential when away from home, for shopping and other uses when you don't want to carry two pairs of glasses with you. If you use Rx sunglasses, you'll be juggling four pairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness