U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,018,489 times

Advertisements

Untrue, but luckily most people know this. It depends what stage you're diagnosed at. Most colonoscopies reveal pre-cancerous polyps that could turn into colon cancer if they're not removed. An ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure. I recommend that people get checked if they have any family history, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Moderator cut: not allowed Good to know. Anyway, once you get cancer, it doesn't matter if you had a colonoscopy. It's a matter of months until you die.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-06-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,702,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I need to get my first colonoscopy here soon. I am not at all looking forward to it. I have a question. I had to do the bowel cleanse last Jan. when I had to have a total hysterectomy. It was horrible stuff they gave me. It was this large container that I added water to and had to drink it all in a certain amount of time. It seriously tasted just like you were drinking ocean water, so salty, no flavoring. I could hardly keep it down. The other problem I had was I was supposed to start taking it around 2 pm, which I did. It was like 5 hours before anything started, which is pretty late. I assume this next time I should maybe start it in the morning. I want to be cleaned out before my appointment.
I think I said this earlier in this thread. Ask your doctor to use Miralax for the prep. This is what I was given the last time, and have always wondered why everybody doesn't use this. I actually use Miralax a lot for my chronic bowel issues - it is essentially flavorless - when mixed with Gatorade, you don't taste anything but the Gatorade. Prior to the Miralax, you drink a bottle of magnesium citrate, which comes in a 10 ounce bottle - it is refrigerated, and tastes bad, but I simply chugged the whole thing at once and it wasn't bad at all. Chug it, don't take sips, it makes all the difference. In all the preps I had before the Miralax, I had real trouble drinking the prep because of the taste, and a couple of times it made me sick. This last time, drinking the prep wasn't a problem at all, and that makes the whole thing so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
I don't understand how some can have "issues" on their way there, if you began the prep when you should have you should be empty LONG before you need to leave.
My last test was different than any I had done previously. Instead of drinking all of the prep solution the night before the procedure, I had to drink half, and then wake up 3 hours before the procedure (at 5 in the morning) and drink the other half. It made things much more difficult - I was still having to run to the bathroom while I was waiting to be wheeled into the room for the procedure. Two of my relatives had to do it this way as well recently. The doctor's office says that they have found that people are more cleaned out doing it this way, and there is less chance that they will be unable to complete the procedure due to incomplete prep. I've never been turned away due to incomplete prep, but my relative was once - it's really a bummer to have to go through the whole thing, only to have to repeat it a week later.

Quote:
Moderator cut: not allowed . Anyway, once you get cancer, it doesn't matter if you had a colonoscopy. It's a matter of months until you die.
This is simply not true. A close friend of mine was diagnosed with colon cancer in the early 80s, had bowel resection and chemo, and was in remission for over 20 years, when the cancer recurred, and he sadly passed away. He is really lucky that he had symptoms that had his doctor order a colonoscopy, even though he was in his mid-30s. He was able to be treated and enjoy his life for a long time.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-06-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,986,635 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: not allowed. Anyway, once you get cancer, it doesn't matter if you had a colonoscopy. It's a matter of months until you die.

Where in the world did you get THAT from?

My father lived many years after having colon surgery and was "cured" of cancer.
My mother was also "cured" of cancer although not colon cancer.

Millions of people survive cancer.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-06-2012 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM

842 posts, read 1,050,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Millions of people survive cancer.
Many more than die from it.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,374,520 times
8 polyps were found during my colonoscopy last week. I got the pathology results yesterday. 5 of the polyps were pre-cancerous and the other 3 were insignificant. Those 5 could have,at anytime, turned into a serious situation. I'm advised to have another colonoscopy in 3 years and indeed I will.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,237,161 times
Being up late "studying" for the exam is the pits, then having to get up way too early to finish "studying" for the exam adds insult to an already sore bum. Been up way too early this morning for round 2 of the prep (2 liters last night, 2 liters for breakfast)

The exam's much easier than the cram session before the exam.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Update - The exam was a breeze, the drugs were excellent, the post procedure chat with the Doctor went well, and the bacon cheeseburger at Applebee's on the home was excellent.

Maybe in 5 years they will have a better bottle of stuff to study with on the night before.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,374,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Update - The exam was a breeze, the drugs were excellent, the post procedure chat with the Doctor went well, and the bacon cheeseburger at Applebee's on the home was excellent.

Maybe in 5 years they will have a better bottle of stuff to study with on the night before.

hope all was ok. The drugs are indeed excellent.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
hope all was ok. The drugs are indeed excellent.
Still have to wait on the pathology report. There were only 2, both removed.

5 years ago they removed 4, all were insignificant putting me on the 5 year cycle.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: not allowed Anyway, once you get cancer, it doesn't matter if you had a colonoscopy. It's a matter of months until you die.
I actually think that this post is so factually wrong that the entire post should be removed entirely.

My dad had colon cancer, that was bad enough that it was discovered because he was so weak because he was literally bleeding out through the colon. It was confirmed with a colonoscopy, and the pictures were not pretty and pink . He was given 2 units of blood every 4 days to keep his strength up until they could get surgery scheduled. They opened him up from sternum to pubic bone, and were able to resection his bowel.

The surgeon's comment after the surgery was simply "I got it", then gave us a few more details. But he was right, he did get it.

He died about 12 years later of something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness