U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 PM
 
Location: southern born and southern bred
12,480 posts, read 14,371,322 times
Reputation: 19530

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I actually think that this post is so factually wrong that the entire post should be removed entirely.

My dad had colon cancer, that was bad enough that it was discovered because he was so weak because he was literally bleeding out through the colon. It was confirmed with a colonoscopy, and the pictures were not pretty and pink . He was given 2 units of blood every 4 days to keep his strength up until they could get surgery scheduled. They opened him up from sternum to pubic bone, and were able to resection his bowel.

The surgeon's comment after the surgery was simply "I got it", then gave us a few more details. But he was right, he did get it.

He died about 12 years later of something else.

Great to read such good results as with your dad. I agree about that other post needing to be removed. I was speechless when I read that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 AM
 
842 posts, read 1,050,342 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I actually think that this post is so factually wrong that the entire post should be removed entirely.

My dad had colon cancer, that was bad enough that it was discovered because he was so weak because he was literally bleeding out through the colon. It was confirmed with a colonoscopy, and the pictures were not pretty and pink . He was given 2 units of blood every 4 days to keep his strength up until they could get surgery scheduled. They opened him up from sternum to pubic bone, and were able to resection his bowel.

The surgeon's comment after the surgery was simply "I got it", then gave us a few more details. But he was right, he did get it.

He died about 12 years later of something else.
You forgot to mention the hundreds of millions of people who had colonoscopies and ended up dying from colon cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
Reputation: 18538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
You forgot to mention the hundreds of millions of people who had colonoscopies and ended up dying from colon cancer.
That is just plain ridiculous. Any source for your claim?
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Location: southern born and southern bred
12,480 posts, read 14,371,322 times
Reputation: 19530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
You forgot to mention the hundreds of millions of people who had colonoscopies and ended up dying from colon cancer.

hundreds of millions???
I've never seen stats such as those. Nor did my internist speak to me of such statistics.
Hundreds of milllions of people die. Period. But from colon cancer and after having been evaluated via colonoscopy? I seriously doubt it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 PM
 
16,301 posts, read 24,232,954 times
Reputation: 8261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
You forgot to mention the hundreds of millions of people who had colonoscopies and ended up dying from colon cancer.
Is that just an assumption on your part, or do you have facts to back up that outrageous statistic.

Edit:
I see others would also like to see the proof of your absurd claim. Bluntly put, "it's put up or shut up time."

Last edited by Asheville Native; 11-06-2012 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: after reading later posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Ohio
3,441 posts, read 4,985,320 times
Reputation: 2656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
You forgot to mention the hundreds of millions of people who had colonoscopies and ended up dying from colon cancer.

You are all over the place;
First you say people get colonoscopies and die anyway, yeah sure, but MANY more live due to having a problem found and fixed before it becomes terminal.
THEN you admit many more live through Cancer.
Then you say hundreds of millions(really?) that die in spite of having a Colonoscopy, or was that BECAUSE they had one, your train of thought is hard to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,551 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Reputation: 57209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Update - The exam was a breeze, the drugs were excellent, the post procedure chat with the Doctor went well, and the bacon cheeseburger at Applebee's on the home was excellent.

Maybe in 5 years they will have a better bottle of stuff to study with on the night before.
Unfortunately, there was a better method of prepping, but they banned the stuff a few years ago for some reason. You put 6 oz of liquid in a 12 oz glass and filled it with gingerale, or whatever. You did this x2 and that was it. Too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,443,292 times
Reputation: 2347
For my colonoscopy a few months ago I took the Miralax/Gatorade prep along with a few Declolax pills (in a specified sequence). Miralax completely dissolves into the gatorade and creates no separate taste whatsoever. It just tastes like gatorade.

The actual colonoscopy the next day was just like my friend had told me... "a piece of cake." You go in, change into the gown, lay down on the examining bed, anesthesiologist does her thing, you take a nap, wake up, all done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
Reputation: 17862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Moderator cut: not allowed Anyway, once you get cancer, it doesn't matter if you had a colonoscopy. It's a matter of months until you die.
How many months would that be? I had colon cancer. I had it surgically removed, along with my entire ascending colon. It has been 47 months since that happened. Do you have a projection as to how many months I have left?

Some people are too stupid to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 10:32 AM
 
10,179 posts, read 10,544,003 times
Reputation: 3017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
The stuff isn't too bad and it comes with different flavors to add. For any of you who have never done this....if you feel like you have to pass gas....DON'T! You'll be really sorry if you do, especially if you are dumb enough to not be near a toilet and sink!
Yes, it is like Old Faithful in the opposite direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top