U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 PM

575 posts, read 848,955 times

Advertisements

Wow. For everyone I have know to have the thing, they had to start drinking this huge jug of chemicals mixed with water starting at 4pm the previous day, drinking 8oz every ten minutes until it was gone. Nothing to eat all day either, plus two laxatives followed by an enema the morning of the procedure. Doesn't sound like too much of a picnic, does it? That mixed with an extremely sore behind and ocassional leakage while sleeping. Just a day at the park, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 PM

501 posts, read 365,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband is 39 and he had a colonoscopy last year and he drank the prep and said it wasn't too bad. We had and 2 pm appointment so he had to drink the stuff starting at 6am. We mixed the prep with Crystal light and my husband said it was fine. The colonoscopy literally to 20 min, he was put out and before I knew it hw was walking into the waiting room and driving us home. He said it was a nothing procedure.
The key is to make sure your Gastroenterologist uses an Anesthesia provider (physician or CRNA) who uses Propyphol (sp?). That is the best anesthesia drug there is. Go to sleep, wake up, it's all over and you go home. You feel like you just woke up from the best nap of your life. Some GI docs use moderate sedation (e.g. Versed) which can be monitored by a Registered Nurse (no anesthesia provider in the room) but is not nearly as good and has longer lasting effects.

Also...on the prep...make sure your GI doc uses the latest (sorry...can't remember the name) stuff. Two 16 oz drinks that you can mix with crystal light or something like that. Make sure he/she doesn't use "Go-lightly" (greet name!!!)...that's the nasty stuff you have to drink gallons of.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 PM

501 posts, read 365,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
Wow. For everyone I have know to have the thing, they had to start drinking this huge jug of chemicals mixed with water starting at 4pm the previous day, drinking 8oz every ten minutes until it was gone. Nothing to eat all day either, plus two laxatives followed by an enema the morning of the procedure. Doesn't sound like too much of a picnic, does it? That mixed with an extremely sore behind and ocassional leakage while sleeping. Just a day at the park, right?
Medicine of the past...it's a lot better now. You just have to make sure your provider is up on the latest. It pays to do your homework.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 PM

16,935 posts, read 19,672,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
My husband did not have any leakage, or soreness. He had to fast the night before, nothing to eat or drink past midnight.Like one OP said it was like a spa experience. I guess it also depends on the person and the issues they have with their colon and age. He had it doen because he had been diagnosed with diverticulitis in January 2011. Luckily everything was ok. he said he felt great after the procedure. I know this is not everyone's experience. no laxatives or enema either, as soon as he was done drinking the prep he went to the bathroom in 10 minutes and within 1/2 hour was completly cleaned out and clear.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM

575 posts, read 848,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Medicine of the past...it's a lot better now. You just have to make sure your provider is up on the latest. It pays to do your homework.
My sister in Ca. has always had the same stuff to take as did my gf in Ca. and my husband and our Dr. is one of the best in the area. I think this is just the most thorough stuff to really clean you out leaving no margin for error. The light sedation works for most but she said because I take Ativan ocassionally and Wellbutrin, this fights off the effects of the sedative. Hey, I don't have to deal with it again for five years!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 PM

5,891 posts, read 11,084,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I work in a hospital (used to work in surgery too). Everyone always said the prep was worse than the procedure.
Everyone was right! The prep is far worse than the procedure!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:05 PM

11,370 posts, read 6,786,875 times
On the advice of a retired-nurse relative, I did an old-fashioned soapy-water enema the night before, then started the "GoLytely", which seems to taste less-offensive when chilled. By the time I had half the stuff down, I was passing nothing but clear water, slightly discolored by liver bile.

The next moring, in hopes of driving home "solo" I asked to decline the sedation -- agreed to, with the provision that the control was to be returned to "the team" if I raised any issue. I felt very little discomfort except for passing the "scope" around one corner, and the attendants at the procedure were very effective in dealing with that.

So I was able to "watch the whole show" from an overhead screen ("See that red blotch over there? -- It's part of your liver!") and drive home on my own.

And I now have one whale of a "bar bet" -- "So you think you've been around, buddy? Well, i've looked into one neighborhood you haven't." - LOL!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM

5,119 posts, read 9,413,466 times
Gosh, maybe I was lucky, but mine was easy.

Took four laxative pills at 2 PM, mixed the Miralax powder with two different flavors of Gatorade..starting drinking at 3 PM the day before (Il et the Gatorade warm up from the frig first so I wouldn't get too cold from drinking cold liquids)...the procedure was easy peasy, no pain, no memory of it...woke up, was given two cups of apple juice, got dressed, DH drove me home, had some soup, took a nice long nap and went out to dinner with friends that night...no soreness, no after-effects.

The worry beforehand was much worse than the event.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,701,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The next moring, in hopes of driving home "solo" I asked to decline the sedation -- agreed to, with the provision that the control was to be returned to "the team" if I raised any issue. I felt very little discomfort except for passing the "scope" around one corner, and the attendants at the procedure were very effective in dealing with that.

So I was able to "watch the whole show" from an overhead screen ("See that red blotch over there? -- It's part of your liver!") and drive home on my own.

And I now have one whale of a "bar bet" -- "So you think you've been around, buddy? Well, i've looked into one neighborhood you haven't." - LOL!
LOL! I've taken a peak into that neighborhood too. Three colonoscopies ago, as I was lying on the table waiting for them to sedate me, I mentioned I had been having some chest pains recently, and the anesthesiologist immediately backed off and said, due to that, they would not take a chance and sedate me, and that the colonoscopy was cancelled.

I was sooooo bummed, since the prep that time had been pretty awful. My internist decided that he would do just a little bit of one, not going very far in, if I could stand it. I could stand it just fine, if it meant that the colonoscopy would be over and done for another few years. He ended up doing the whole thing, with, as you said, very little discomfort at all for me, and I watched the whole thing on the monitor, all the way to my appendix, it was pretty cool. I actually would have no real problem doing it without sedation again if I had no ride available, but didn't know if they would allow it, so never thought of asking. I may look into it next time.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,389,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I work in a hospital (used to work in surgery too). Everyone always said the prep was worse than the procedure.
You are 100% correct! The actual colonoscopy was a breeze, but drinking that NuLytely was awful. If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they come up with something that tastes better than seawater? Barf...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness