Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
were polyps found?
Yes, actually I have the years I had it done backwards, the first was 10
years before the second, 50 and 60 years old, so I am due now at 65 again, because of the polyps..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
I had a colonoscopy to rule out various things so they could label me with IBS. That's how I found out I'm basically immune to all preps and laxatives. I drank the entire gallon of prep with no result. Called the doctor and they switched me to the little super-salty 'shot glass' version...still nothing. They gave me the pills...they finally ended up going through with it anyway because I hadn't really eaten in three days!

Even now, if I'm ever having issues things laxatives don't do anything for me expect make me feel sicker.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
The prep is the worst part---and even though I drank the whole gallon, it still didn't clean me out! The doctor wrote that my prep was poor! I felt like I had failed and will need to ride the short bus to my next colonoscopy since I have special needs (turns out my bowels were twisted). Looks like next time I will have to fast longer and/or take more prep---won't that be fun!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Have heard this complaint before and I have a theory. The people I know personally for whom the prep was incomplete were all men who were larger--had longer torsos, and I think the intestines must be longer, too! Why wouldn't the doctor recommend additional solution to drink? No that anyone wants to drink more of that stuff....but who wants to have to repeat it!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Having had several colonoscopies myself and finding the prepping is the worse part, would like to offer two suggestions:
If drinking that solution makes you gag, drink some WHITE grape juice after each swallow as a chaser (works for me).
If all that activity on the toilet hurts your tender tissues or causes you painful hemoroids, there a cream I highly recommend to help soothe: Calmoseptine--some drug stores carry it or at least should be able to order it. Main ingredients are zinc oxide & mentol. In a pinch, you could probably use plain zinc oxide.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
I have to schedule for one of those soon and have been doing some online searching regarding the facility and if there's anything they put out regarding their standard procedures, such as: prepping, sedation and if their patients can request this method verse that method.

I listen to Dr. Dahlia on the XM channel whenever I can and one day I just happen to hear her talking about colonoscopies, of all things, huh?

At the risk of having to repeat the procedure because the attending physician said "bad prep":
Suggested a day or two of fasting. No meats, esp red meat. Only drinking clear broths and if you want jello, only the yellow not the red jello. I can't remember if she nixed the orange flavored jello too. Sure, some patients might be able to use the virtual colonoscopy method but they say as less invasive as that may be, it's not effective if any polyps are detected and/or suspected.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
oh man, don't remind me! I"m due for another in 2 years . they found a polyp the first time around. Colon cancer doesn't run in my family so its weird that I had a polyp. I must have a really crappy diet!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
My sister had to have hers done and she found out that she is allergic to the stuff they gave her and she broke out in hives and was miserable and the dr told her she might have to do something else and poor thing she was so miserable and now im due for mine and Im wondering if im going to be allergic to it as well being as we are from the same blood line . i hope not cause I dont want to have to repeat it again ugh !! Oh the misery . Im not looking forward to it at all ...

Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
I had mine about 9 years ago, I had the prep that is a powder and you mix with five liters of water, it had a lemon taste ... Start the evening before and drink 8oz every twenty minutes or so until it's gone, then around midnight do a suppository.

I found after about the third BM, wiping is really not necessary any more and just makes you sore, before you go in you take a shower.

When I first went in I got an IV and a nurse put in a small amount of some drug that relaxed me, just before the procedure I got another shot and out went the lights, remember nothing more and woke up feeling GREAT, best nap ever.

Where I went it was required for you to have a driver, Cab or Public Transportation wasn't allowed, they had to sign a form stating they would be there when I got out to drive me home.

YES, the prep is much worse than the procedure, everyone I know personally says the same thing.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I don't understand, when my husband had his prep it was the morning of the procedure, his was at 2pm that day and all he needed was the powdered prep mixed with water and then we added the crystal light they gave us for better flavor. He did not need a laxative on top of that. I am just curious why some people need a a laxative and enema on top of the prep they are already drinking because my SIL had to do all this the day before and her colonoscopy was in the AM the next day.Maybe everyone is different and every doctor is different?? His was last year. He said the prep tasted fine. The procedure was fine and I went with him. When he woke up he was fine, no effects from the anesthesia. He actually drove home. We only live 10 min from where he had the procedure.Plus it only took my hsuband less than 1 hour to be all cleaned out after drinking the prep. I don't know if age or health matters but he was 38 at the time and in pretty good health other than having diverticulitis.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
According to the gastroenterologists where I live, the pills are no longer prescribed because they caused kidney failure in some patients. I was crestfallen to find this out because I was going to ask for that method for my upcoming colonoscopy in 2 weeks. When I had my last one 5 years ago I had to drink this putrid stuff from a big jug, and I couldn't get the last dose down. I upchucked it.

My husband had his a few days ago. He said that the drink was gross but at least the quantity is less.

But although pills are no longer used here, apparently not all gastroenterologists as a whole prescribes the same method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness