U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Central Illinois -
19,629 posts, read 13,276,644 times
Reputation: 12802

Advertisements

What a great thread, thanks everyone who has contributed to it, I've found it extremely helpful. I will be in for mine at 9:00 AM tomorrow, I am drinking the gallon of cleanser, I have a 1 L jug that came with my juicer, and the mixture came with 4 flavor packets, so I do a packet with each liter, it is not tasting too terrible, anyway. I feel alot better reading these stories, it has already calmed me down a bit. I am pretty sure I have either internal hemorrhoids and/or polyps so I don't know what is gonna happen with that, but I will find out in about 15 hours.

I have to drink three liters before bed, and one liter 5 hours before the exam, which means I have to wake up at 4:00 AM for another round, I wont be getting any sleep tonight. Oh well, just hope all goes smoothly.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
Reputation: 9423
Oh well, just hope all goes smoothly....oh yes, it will go smoothly...and go..and go..etc. etc.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's not so bad at all. More worry than is justified. It's a walk in the park--and I'm the world's biggest chicken...you'll do fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Reputation: 18538
Yeah, the prep is way worse than the procedure!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Central Illinois -
19,629 posts, read 13,276,644 times
Reputation: 12802
Well, everyone is correct, the prep is the worst part. Of course, they used a sedative (I think it was called Versa?) and along with that an amnesiac, so I would not remember anything, so I could have been howling in pain for all I knew.

And now my advice for preparing for a procedure like this: I started drinking my gallon mixture at around 5:00 pm the day prior, and that is too late to drink that much fluid. You need to start earlier because you will not clean yourself out before bed and will make a mess when you sleep.

Also, I am never drinking a gallon of that crap again, but if you ever do, sports drinks, Vitamin Water or Fuze should be part of the process, as you need a chaser to that laxative drink. It tastes pretty nasty as you get closer to the end.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Reputation: 18538
Versed is what's used.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
 
6,014 posts, read 6,518,511 times
Reputation: 8304
Just as some encouragement.....

I drank the liquid prep and it wasn't THAT bad. It's not like it was undrinkable. It IS better chilled.
Also I picked the orange flavor.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,219 posts, read 7,398,023 times
Reputation: 17847
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Well, everyone is correct, the prep is the worst part. Of course, they used a sedative (I think it was called Versa?) and along with that an amnesiac, so I would not remember anything, so I could have been howling in pain for all I knew.

And now my advice for preparing for a procedure like this: I started drinking my gallon mixture at around 5:00 pm the day prior, and that is too late to drink that much fluid. You need to start earlier because you will not clean yourself out before bed and will make a mess when you sleep.

Also, I am never drinking a gallon of that crap again, but if you ever do, sports drinks, Vitamin Water or Fuze should be part of the process, as you need a chaser to that laxative drink. It tastes pretty nasty as you get closer to the end.
The usual "cocktail" is Versed, propofol, and fentanyl. It's great stuff in the circumstances. Close your eyes, wake up and hear the nurse say, "You did great. The Doctor will be here in a few minutes to talk to you. What would you like to drink - coffee, tea, juice?"

Having had colon cancer, I'm an advocate for colonoscopy at age 50, or sooner depending on family history/symptomatology.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
8,626 posts, read 16,243,864 times
Reputation: 5933
I've done the 4 dulcolax and then mixing a medium sized miralax (238g) into 2 quarters of gatorade (any flavor). It isn't that bad - the miralax has no taste. Maybe people are throwing up from drinking so much liquid so quickly........ Or just the thought of drinking all that.

The trick that makes it all easier is to eat light (very) a couple of days before your clear liquid day. I an egg, soup, a bake potato (plain other than butter) for a couple of days and then a liquid diet the day of the prep. When you do that -- it's a snap.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 08:48 PM
 
5,321 posts, read 7,658,806 times
Reputation: 9538
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I've done the 4 dulcolax and then mixing a medium sized miralax (238g) into 2 quarters of gatorade (any flavor). It isn't that bad - the miralax has no taste. Maybe people are throwing up from drinking so much liquid so quickly........ Or just the thought of drinking all that.

The trick that makes it all easier is to eat light (very) a couple of days before your clear liquid day. I an egg, soup, a bake potato (plain other than butter) for a couple of days and then a liquid diet the day of the prep. When you do that -- it's a snap.
Thanks for that tip. I have an appointment for mine next week.

I am so worried about it that it is the only thing I have been thinking about since I made the appointment.

What convinced me to have it done is a huge billboard that I see on the highway that says, "COLONOSCOPY OR CANCER?". Every time I drive past it reminds me to get it done.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...
38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
Reputation: 106703
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Thanks for that tip. I have an appointment for mine next week.

I am so worried about it that it is the only thing I have been thinking about since I made the appointment.

What convinced me to have it done is a huge billboard that I see on the highway that says, "COLONOSCOPY OR CANCER?". Every time I drive past it reminds me to get it done.
Nothing to worry about, the procedure goes very smoothly and when it's over you'll say "wow that wasn't so bad after all"...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top