U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM

575 posts, read 848,634 times

Advertisements

Just starting drinking the horrible stuff to prepare for tomorrow's colonoscopy. Never had one before just because the prep sounded terrible. Drinking this stuff every 10 minutes for the next three hours,,,,,yum! The rest of the night should be fun. I'm starving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,475,796 times
I remember when I did mine in 2005. I did the prep the day after xmas so no leftovers for me! After I got used to the stuff I had to continually drink and came to terms with it, I had to drink the junk you mix with apple juice. It was TERRIBLE!

Good luck to you!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:12 PM

2,600 posts, read 536,851 times
The prep is the worst part---and even though I drank the whole gallon, it still didn't clean me out! The doctor wrote that my prep was poor! I felt like I had failed and will need to ride the short bus to my next colonoscopy since I have special needs (turns out my bowels were twisted). Looks like next time I will have to fast longer and/or take more prep---won't that be fun!

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:21 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,366,635 times
They have another prep which is not as bad as drinking that poison - it is pills - to make it work, you have to eat light for a few days - and then you just take around 10 pills every so often . . .it worked like a charm for me and the HMO accepted it, but I had to ask for it. I will never drink that poison again.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
They have another prep which is not as bad as drinking that poison - it is pills - to make it work, you have to eat light for a few days - and then you just take around 10 pills every so often . . .it worked like a charm for me and the HMO accepted it, but I had to ask for it. I will never drink that poison again.
The stuff isn't too bad and it comes with different flavors to add. For any of you who have never done this....if you feel like you have to pass gas....DON'T! You'll be really sorry if you do, especially if you are dumb enough to not be near a toilet and sink!

Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM

1,366 posts, read 1,701,769 times
I have had to prep so many times I've lost count. Every single time I am prescribed a different type of prep, and all of the drinks have been so horrible that it was nearly impossible to finish it without throwing it back up.

Until this last time.

I had to drink one bottle (10 oz. I think) of magnesium citrate, which, though bad-tasting, is pretty easy to chug, especially if it's very cold.

Then I had to drink a ton of Gatorade, as usual, but this time mixed with Miralax. I already use Miralax, and it truly has pretty much no flavor. The Gatorade tasted like Gatorade, and I had no problem at all with drinking it. Considering how we then have to spend the next many hours, I think it is awfully nice that we also don't have to be barfing at the same time.

Ask for Miralax, you will be much happier.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 PM

526 posts, read 704,688 times
I'm amost looking forward to my next one, because...the sandwich I had afterwards was the best food I'd ever eaten.

Have your driver have food ready for ya

Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,266,896 times
This all brings back terrible memories. Gone through it a few times over the years. First time, the commode became my entertainment room. Just as well had brought a foot stool and a portable tv in there. Hope not to have to do it again anytime soon. The prep can be worse, but being awake for my last prob which I forget the name of the proceedure, was no joke. Had to have it done because the doctor that did the colonoscopy and upper endoscopy, said he couldn't get a clear view. That next event I was probed while being turned every which way and up. That was two years ago.

So necessary though. Wishing you good results. I do mean after the doctor's visit.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
I'm amost looking forward to my next one, because...the sandwich I had afterwards was the best food I'd ever eaten.

Have your driver have food ready for ya
I'm already trying to decide what to have, except I'm doing low carb and would like to continue the weight loss benefits of today! God my tushy hurts!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,840,221 times
Last time they let me mix the prep with "crystal Light" and it made it a lot easier to drink it.Still its every 5 years for me now and its no fun.Coming up again in a few weeks ugg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness