U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times

Advertisements

I broke my big toe in 3 places after stumbling barefoot in the dark.

I have extreme peripheral neuropathy from diabetes and it didn't even hurt when I broke my toe. In fact it was my husband who insisted I get it xrayed after I showed him the extreme bruising and swelling.

it developed a HUGE blood blister which eventually popped and all the skin has since rubbed off. But the toe is still kinda pink and about twice as big as big toe on other foot. kids call it elephant toe.

Went to orthopedic surgeon who took xrays and we discussed surgery vs no surgery. Because of my diabetes and slow healing we decided just to let it be. He gave me 1 antibiotic which made me barf. next visit he gave me another one which also made me barf. I have not been back in 2 weeks.

I'm afraid of antibiotics now, I'm in no pain but toe is huge and I'm wondering how long it will stay this way and if infection is possible without skin being penetrated. All this happened about 6 weeks ago. can't get back to dr till after xmas.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,497,983 times
I would not take any chances, especially since you have diabetes and a popped blister - that's a break that bacteria can use.

My last boss broke his arm riding his dirt bike, and had to have it surgically reset with plates and screws. He ended up with an infection that required IV antibiotics (they came and gave them to him at work). A few months later, he had a heart attack and died - at age 34. He was just finished the last course of IV antibiotics. That's an extreme situation, but I tell the story just to remind people not to take any chances.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 AM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Of course the skin is broken! You wrote that it all rubbed off after the blood blister popped. It sounds like an infection and unless you want your foot amputated (very common among diabetics) you better get back to the doctor ASAP.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
I don't really think of popped blister as broken skin . What I meant is penetration thru the skin. That would be a better way to explain it. I will go to doc next week but still am wondering about internal infection with no penetration. BTW doc was closed or couldn't get appt this past week. Believe me I am watching it like a hawk and don't plan on ignoring the whole situation.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:49 PM

12,422 posts, read 14,547,993 times
maybe if you're lucky before you go to the docs next week you'll see that it's getting better on it's own.....of course bacteria can definately enter through a pooped blister as easy as a penetrating wound....but as long as you put the antibiotic cream on it occasionally, and keep a watchfull eye on it...i'm sure you can trust your own judgement.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:52 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,967,208 times
Sounds to me like you're at risk for osteomyelitis. (It's what ultimately killed Christopher Reeve.) Don't mess around with this.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,857,234 times
Broken bones can certainly cause infections, especially if you not being treated. The fact that you can fee little, if any, pain in the toe might make it harder for you to determine if the problem is getting worse. The fact that you are diabetic makes the situation that more dire. Your risk of loosing the toe (and possibly part of the foot) may increase if do not seek treatment ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness