U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:02 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,366,635 times

Advertisements

Just specific to "sleeping pills" without getting into any lifestyle issues, I take a natural "sleeping pill" (meaning that there is a remedy in pill form that I take when I need it, not on a habitual basis, though it wouldn't hurt - I just personally do not want to be reliant on an outside influence to sleep) - so there are natural "pills." Mine has calcium, maganese, and magnesium in it and it works within around 15 minutes . . .

I have other natural methods I use to put myself to sleep, but do take the pill under extreme circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 08:06 AM

809 posts, read 893,935 times
Smoke a doobie. Chances are it's better then any Rx crap forced on you. Non habit forming, won't destroy your liver, and if you have not actually done research, just about 90% of the crap you 'hear' about the drug is just that, crap, including supposed scientific tests. Just my .02, good luck and buck big pharma, go natural.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:37 AM

699 posts, read 1,796,153 times
gaba sleep by source naturals is the best, non-prescription sleeping pill.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:27 PM

1,563 posts, read 1,510,434 times
What about melatonin? It's natural too. I had believed it would have only a minimal effect, however I was shocked at how potent its sleep-inducing effects were once I finally tried it to avoid asking my doctor for prescription sleep medications [at the time four (100 mg) benadryl tablets were not doing much for me, and I was getting a bit desperate (this was at a rough point that I have since thankfully gotten past for now)]. Doubtless it will not have the same effect for everyone, nonetheless I do not see how it wouldn't be worth a try.

That being said, I do not have anything against prescription medications. What I am against is when people take them without understanding the risks and then want someone else to take the blame when they have bad side effects from them. I am of the opinion that *all* medications, herbs, and supplements (even melatonin I'm sure) have their risks and benefits and it is up to the person taking them and that person *alone* (excluding unsual situations where the person is not physically or mentally able) to be responsible for the effect(s) it has on their body.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:56 PM

13,486 posts, read 29,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I love my Temazepam! It makes me all snuggly and content.
Yeah I take temazepam (Restoril) too, but it is a benzo and it can be addictive. I don't take it every night, but every now and then if I have something important to do the next day and need a full nights sleep I will take one.

Elavil works, but it will make me sleep for 12 hours and then be like a zombie the entire next day.

I would not recommend taking Ambien without some supervision, at least until you know how you'll react to it. It makes me do crazy stuff, like call people on the phone at 4am. My partner took it once and I found him outside in his underwear at midnight, LOL. We no longer touch that stuff.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
I am only speaking of OTC sleep aids in this post, since some have mentioned them. From: diphenhydramine HCl Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
Quote:
This medication works by blocking a certain natural substance (histamine) that your body makes during an allergic reaction. Its drying effects on such symptoms as watery eyes and runny nose are caused by blocking another natural substance made by your body (acetylcholine).
From wiki:
Quote:
Damage to the cholinergic (acetylcholine-producing) system in the brain has been shown to be plausibly associated with the memory deficits associated with Alzheimer's disease.[4] ACh has also been shown to promote REM sleep[5]
Diphenhydramine is Benadryl and mom took it for years as Tylenol PM and now has alzheimer's pretty bad, even though she's only 76. Now I'm not sayin', but I'm just sayin'. . . who knows if the tylenol pm damaged her ACh system or if this is all coincidence or just pure conjecture on the part of the layman, but I'm no longer willing to take a risk with it. I use GABA to wind down in the evening and have put up blackout shades in my bedroom and I get off the computer and start reading an hour before bed, and maybe that helps, but I must admit that I never had really bad problems anyway. If you use the OTC stuff, just try not to take it for long periods of time. Examine your diet and stress levels carefully and I totally agree with Basiliximab--know what you're taking--educate yourself.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Yeah when something says "has been shown to plausibly be associated with" it could mean simply this:

People who had early-onset alzheimers, who hadn't shown any other symptoms of them yet and didn't know they had it, started taking benadryl because they were experiencing sleep problems. And then, since they had -already- had alzheimers and didn't know it, when it finally became bad enough for a diagnosis, assumed that it was the benadryl that caused it. When in fact, they already had it, and the benadryl had nothing to do with it, and merely helped them sleep, which they needed help with, because they had alzheimers and sleep disorders can be one symptom of alzheimer's.

The typical association != causation. I'll bet all people with alzheimer's had, at one point in their lives, worn at least one pair of white underwear. They all have that in common. And I'll bet that white underwear did -not- cause their alzheimers, though someone will eventually make that claim and blame it on the bleaching process of white cotton.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:54 PM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah when something says "has been shown to plausibly be associated with" it could mean simply this:

People who had early-onset alzheimers, who hadn't shown any other symptoms of them yet and didn't know they had it, started taking benadryl because they were experiencing sleep problems. And then, since they had -already- had alzheimers and didn't know it, when it finally became bad enough for a diagnosis, assumed that it was the benadryl that caused it. When in fact, they already had it, and the benadryl had nothing to do with it, and merely helped them sleep, which they needed help with, because they had alzheimers and sleep disorders can be one symptom of alzheimer's.

The typical association != causation. I'll bet all people with alzheimer's had, at one point in their lives, worn at least one pair of white underwear. They all have that in common. And I'll bet that white underwear did -not- cause their alzheimers, though someone will eventually make that claim and blame it on the bleaching process of white cotton.
Hmm, funny, but mom's sleeping like a log these days for 12 hours a night and with no sleeping aids. I already said that it's quite possible that the benadryl had nothing to do with her AD, but it is known that it causes the ACh production to be blocked, which is why it dries you out so much. (ACh is a neurotransmitter that causes you to retain memories--for those of you who are wondering.) Whether that effect is temporary remains to be seen, or whether it was a direct cause or an indirect one also remains to be seen.

But maybe it wasn't the benadryl at all. Perhaps it was the tylenol, b/c tylenol causes your liver to stop/slow down producing glutathione, which is needed for many of your body's processes, including making ACh, so maybe it was that. Or neither. I covered all the bases I think and I'm no longer willing to take a chance on it, esp since more natural sleep aids, like blocking the light from my bedroom and reading before bed seem to work just as well if not better. And the dreams are better since I now have REM sleep, something that was lacking before, and if I remember correctly, REM sleep is necessary for health? Am I wrong? Or, we could just tell people to stick their heads back in the sand and take these pills without questioning the powers that be and that care so much about us.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:18 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,702,578 times
The side effect to the meds (quietiapine) my doctor want me to take is weight gain. I dont want or need that but trzadone is not working. Maybe i should double the mg from 50 to 100.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
Diphenydramine has nothing - zilch, nada, to do with Alzheimer's. Anticholergenic action is reversible. Diphenhydramine is an anticholergenic. That means, if you take it, it will block something. If you don't take it, that thing will no longer be blocked.

If your mother had symptoms (which obviously she did), and if benadryl had *anything* to do with them, then she would have *stopped* having those symptoms, within a couple of days of not taking Benadryl anymore. Since she continued to get worse, clearly, Benadryl played absolutely no part, whatsoever, of any kind, for any reason, in your mother's illness. If anything, it helped her sleep while she was first experiencing the initial symptoms.

Just by including your "I don't know if this is related but..." story in this thread, you are *implying* that Benadryl might be something far more nefarious than anyone has ever experienced it being. Whether you intend to imply that or not, it's what you imply.

To repeat: diphenydramine, which is used as an antihistimine and a mild sedative which serves as a sleeping aid in certain brands, has NOTHING to do with alzheimer's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness