U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM

31,572 posts, read 12,705,655 times

Advertisements

Trazadone never worked for me, plugged up my sinuses. Been taking generic Ambien for years, no side effects. I occasionally take a very low does Xanax with it, I'm a chronic "have trouble falling asleep" person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:55 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,698,995 times
My doctor refuses to give me ambian. Ill just buy regular sleeping pills @ the 99 cent store. They do work & if i dont get a decent nights sleep my day is shot. I get dizzy & feel ill.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah Ambien's side effects can be pretty significant, and scary. But not everyone gets them, and they can be eliminated simply by not taking it anymore. The biggest "risk" in taking Ambien, is building a tolerance and dependency. However, for people who are chronic insomniacs, they're already dependent on meds to sleep, so dependency is a pretty pointless argument against it.
I've been taking Ambien for years with no side effects. It's the only thing that works for me. The OTC stuff that says may cause drowsiness keeps me awake.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
The OTC stuff I tried in the past, made me drowsy as promised. Problem was, I didn't need to be drowsy. I was able to get drowsy on my own just fine. But no matter how tired I was, no matter how exhausted my body and mind were, I just couldn't fall asleep. I'd lay in bed for hours obsessing over how frustrated I was that sleep wouldn't come.

Ambien basically saved my sanity.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:35 AM

575 posts, read 848,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Which meds work best to help sleep. Trazadone or quietiapine fumarate ? One of the side effects of quietiapine is weight gain (10 lbs in 6 weeks).
How often would you need to take something? If this is a constant problem there are many non-medical solutions to start off with. 1. turn off the t.v. at least an hour before bedtime and do something relaxing like a warm salt bath, meditate, or read.2. don't nap during the day!!!! Screws up your sleep patterns. 3. no caffeine after afternoon and no strenuous exercise in the evening like jogging or weight lifting.4. try using something with white noise or it things are noisy at your house, ear plugs are great. If none of these things help, start of taking Tylenol Pm or Benadryl which are not habit forming and make you sleepy when taken two hours before bedtime. Try this for a week. If these don't make you drousy enough to sleep, try Ativan in low doses when needed which is used for anxiety. Not a Dr. Just someone who has always had sleeping issues. Oh....Do not drink alcohol at night!!!! Look at the long term side effects of some of the other meds mentioned here before you ask for the. Some are habit forming and need to be gradually weaned off if you want to stop. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:55 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,282,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
How often would you need to take something? If this is a constant problem there are many non-medical solutions to start off with. 1. turn off the t.v. at least an hour before bedtime and do something relaxing like a warm salt bath, meditate, or read.2. don't nap during the day!!!! Screws up your sleep patterns. 3. no caffeine after afternoon and no strenuous exercise in the evening like jogging or weight lifting.4. try using something with white noise or it things are noisy at your house, ear plugs are great. If none of these things help, start of taking Tylenol Pm or Benadryl which are not habit forming and make you sleepy when taken two hours before bedtime. Try this for a week. If these don't make you drousy enough to sleep, try Ativan in low doses when needed which is used for anxiety. Not a Dr. Just someone who has always had sleeping issues. Oh....Do not drink alcohol at night!!!! Look at the long term side effects of some of the other meds mentioned here before you ask for the. Some are habit forming and need to be gradually weaned off if you want to stop. Good luck.
I take Ambien at night myself....

I've tried (and still do) everything you've mentioned - I take a bath and get in comfy pj's 2 hours before lights out. I might watch a little TV but nothing "upsetting" (had to nix DH from watching the History Channel, every other show on there is something about Nazi's). I read for about 30 mins in bed. Bedroom is really dark (blinds + heavy curtains). Use a white noise machine. We eat early dinner and I have a light snack (usu yougart) before bed to keep my blood sugar from dropping too low/fast.

It's interesting that you mention ativan for anxiety.... I've told several docotrs about my sleep issues. I am not , during the day, anxious at all. Maybe because I'm just so busy?..... but at night, I find myself having racing, upsetting thoughts. Worried that I had my daughter too late in life and I'll die and leave her without a mother, worries about my parents who are getting older and have had some health issues, deeply upset about the fact that a family member and I had a falling out a couple years ago , etc.... I have toruble turing these thoughts off. Once I fall asleep I'm generally ok for the night...

I did try OTC PM meds but found they caused me to gain weight and that I was really foggy when I woke up.

My husband is a retired Marine and as you'd expect - not a good sleeper. He can fall asleep easliy but is a very, very light sleeper so he's up alot at night.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM

575 posts, read 848,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I take Ambien at night myself....

I've tried (and still do) everything you've mentioned - I take a bath and get in comfy pj's 2 hours before lights out. I might watch a little TV but nothing "upsetting" (had to nix DH from watching the History Channel, every other show on there is something about Nazi's). I read for about 30 mins in bed. Bedroom is really dark (blinds + heavy curtains). Use a white noise machine. We eat early dinner and I have a light snack (usu yougart) before bed to keep my blood sugar from dropping too low/fast.

It's interesting that you mention ativan for anxiety.... I've told several docotrs about my sleep issues. I am not , during the day, anxious at all. Maybe because I'm just so busy?..... but at night, I find myself having racing, upsetting thoughts. Worried that I had my daughter too late in life and I'll die and leave her without a mother, worries about my parents who are getting older and have had some health issues, deeply upset about the fact that a family member and I had a falling out a couple years ago , etc.... I have toruble turing these thoughts off. Once I fall asleep I'm generally ok for the night...

I did try OTC PM meds but found they caused me to gain weight and that I was really foggy when I woke up.

My husband is a retired Marine and as you'd expect - not a good sleeper. He can fall asleep easliy but is a very, very light sleeper so he's up alot at night.
My mind won't shut off either which is the cause of my sleep issues. Staying asleep is another issue. Taking two Ativan's keeps me asleep all night. Don't even get up to go to the bathroom which I normally would do at least twice a night. Or I'll take a Benadryl.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
My mind won't shut off either which is the cause of my sleep issues. Staying asleep is another issue. Taking two Ativan's keeps me asleep all night. Don't even get up to go to the bathroom which I normally would do at least twice a night. Or I'll take a Benadryl.
Never heard of Ativan, is it a sleeping pill? If I take Benadryl I'm awake all night.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,535,346 times
Quetiapine will knock an elephant out, but considering its side effects, it's probably not a good idea to use it unless other psychiatric conditions are present. If you have to take it, don't get the XR version. The regular release version works just as well and is going generic in March.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
Ativan is a prescription drug used for excessive anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness