U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Lompoc,CA
1,260 posts, read 4,533,893 times
Reputation: 1275

Advertisements

Lunesta was the same as ambien...sugar pill. Ativan does it. But I have tinnitus. Might check out the Gaba Calm...

greenchili
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 AM
 
9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Reputation: 15409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Why not look into some meds that are intended specifically for sleep, instead of antidepressants and antipsychotics that are prescribed off-label for it?

I've taken Ambien for over 10 years and have had no ill effects from it at all. There are risks when you take -any- mind-altering drug. I wouldn't take an antipsychotic, unless I was psychotic.

There's also Lunestra, and if you don't want to go the prescription route, there's Sominex, which is just diphenhydramine, which is also the main/active ingredient in benadryl.

I've taken Ambien for about 7+ years without any side effects. I started with Ambien 12.5 ER--rxtended release. Then I got the generic 10 mg which are NOT extended release. I seem to do better on the 10 mg. Now I break them in half, so I usually take 5 mg/night. Ocassionally I just go without them. I don't want to get dependent on them.

Due to other drugs I must take, insonomia is a routine side effedt I must manage. But I can't understand why they keep prescribing my ds 15 drugs like haladole, and seroquel---they say he complains he can't sleep. Why not try some drus specifically for sleep, instead of going the off-label use? Then, like I wrote before, suicide is a major effect of seroquel and hadol, so why load him up on them when he attempts suicide? They just give me a blank look, the looked annoyed, then say all antidepressants carry that warning. Then WHY are you giving him antidepressants? How about something more specific for his problem---insonomia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've taken Ambien for about 7+ years without any side effects. I started with Ambien 12.5 ER--rxtended release. Then I got the generic 10 mg which are NOT extended release. I seem to do better on the 10 mg. Now I break them in half, so I usually take 5 mg/night. Ocassionally I just go without them. I don't want to get dependent on them.

Due to other drugs I must take, insonomia is a routine side effedt I must manage. But I can't understand why they keep prescribing my ds 15 drugs like haladole, and seroquel---they say he complains he can't sleep. Why not try some drus specifically for sleep, instead of going the off-label use? Then, like I wrote before, suicide is a major effect of seroquel and hadol, so why load him up on them when he attempts suicide? They just give me a blank look, the looked annoyed, then say all antidepressants carry that warning. Then WHY are you giving him antidepressants? How about something more specific for his problem---insonomia?
Sheesh sounds like me. Check it out...

I go in for a yearly checkup to renew my thyroid and ambien prescriptions. The physician's assistant does the checkup, I'm fine with that, I'm only there to get the scripts and I know they have to go over my thyroid panels, cbcs, blood pressure, heart rate, etc. etc.

So the PA says I will need to start weaning off the Ambien, because it's habit forming and I can develop a tolerance to it and require more to get the same effect as before. I'm like - yeah weaning off isn't gonna work so good, because when I stop taking it, I can't sleep. I started taking it, because I couldn't sleep. Now that I'm taking it, I sleep great. No need to wean off, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

She said she'd give me a 30 day scrip of the ambien, but no refills, since it's a schedule IV narcotic. I told her no, it's not a narcotic. She said oh well it's a non-opiate narcotic. I said no, it's not ANY kind of narcotic. She said oh well since it's schedule IV, then she can't prescribe more than 30 days worth. I said no, schedule IV means she can prescribe up to 90 days, with 1 refill, or 30 days, with 5 refills. You can have up to 6 months worth of prescription, after which you have to get a new scrip. That's how the Schedule IV law works. She just kind of stared at me like I didn't know anything. Really pissed me off.

So she tells me I should go to a shrink and get on Seroquel. I'm all uh - wtf? Really? An anti-psychotic, for a sleeping problem? She says yeah it's also used for sleeping. I said well that's really lovely but why would I want that? I'm not psychotic. I'm not even depressed. If it's used for depression and psychosis, then it's going to cause side-effects in people who are -not- depressed or psychotic, because it is doing something to the brain, that is -intended- to do something for depressed people and psychotics.

So I took her scrip for a shrink appointment, and filed it in the circular file when I got home.

When I got my (overdue) complete physical a couple of months later, I told the doctor that she needs to explain to her PA that Ambien is not only not a narcotic, but that schedule IV controlled substances CAN be refilled, and that if I, the patient, know enough about something to correct the PA's erroneous statements, statements that could result in harming her patient, then the PA really should return to school before she's allowed to prescribe anything at all again.

My doctor then prescribed me the full 6-month prescription and apologized for the inconvenience. She also told me I wouldn't need to wean off until and unless she and I agreed together that I was feeling the need for close to the max recommended nightly dosage.

Fortunately this refill, the pharmacy gave me the elongated pills instead of the UNscored round ones, so I can break off the end of it, and take the bigger portion, and store the tiny portion for when I run low on the big ones. So that means, my 90-day prescription, at 10mg/night, will now become a 100-day prescription, at around 8mg/night. I'm already taking -less- than what is prescribed for me, because really, I only need around 8mg/night. But the previous refills only came round, and unscored, and as anyone who's tried knows, trying to break up those tiny little _round_ pills into tinier little segments is a study in futility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM
 
9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Reputation: 15409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Sheesh sounds like me. Check it out...

I go in for a yearly checkup to renew my thyroid and ambien prescriptions. The physician's assistant does the checkup, I'm fine with that, I'm only there to get the scripts and I know they have to go over my thyroid panels, cbcs, blood pressure, heart rate, etc. etc.

So the PA says I will need to start weaning off the Ambien, because it's habit forming and I can develop a tolerance to it and require more to get the same effect as before. I'm like - yeah weaning off isn't gonna work so good, because when I stop taking it, I can't sleep. I started taking it, because I couldn't sleep. Now that I'm taking it, I sleep great. No need to wean off, it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

She said she'd give me a 30 day scrip of the ambien, but no refills, since it's a schedule IV narcotic. I told her no, it's not a narcotic. She said oh well it's a non-opiate narcotic. I said no, it's not ANY kind of narcotic. She said oh well since it's schedule IV, then she can't prescribe more than 30 days worth. I said no, schedule IV means she can prescribe up to 90 days, with 1 refill, or 30 days, with 5 refills. You can have up to 6 months worth of prescription, after which you have to get a new scrip. That's how the Schedule IV law works. She just kind of stared at me like I didn't know anything. Really pissed me off.

So she tells me I should go to a shrink and get on Seroquel. I'm all uh - wtf? Really? An anti-psychotic, for a sleeping problem? She says yeah it's also used for sleeping. I said well that's really lovely but why would I want that? I'm not psychotic. I'm not even depressed. If it's used for depression and psychosis, then it's going to cause side-effects in people who are -not- depressed or psychotic, because it is doing something to the brain, that is -intended- to do something for depressed people and psychotics.

So I took her scrip for a shrink appointment, and filed it in the circular file when I got home.

When I got my (overdue) complete physical a couple of months later, I told the doctor that she needs to explain to her PA that Ambien is not only not a narcotic, but that schedule IV controlled substances CAN be refilled, and that if I, the patient, know enough about something to correct the PA's erroneous statements, statements that could result in harming her patient, then the PA really should return to school before she's allowed to prescribe anything at all again.

My doctor then prescribed me the full 6-month prescription and apologized for the inconvenience. She also told me I wouldn't need to wean off until and unless she and I agreed together that I was feeling the need for close to the max recommended nightly dosage.

Fortunately this refill, the pharmacy gave me the elongated pills instead of the UNscored round ones, so I can break off the end of it, and take the bigger portion, and store the tiny portion for when I run low on the big ones. So that means, my 90-day prescription, at 10mg/night, will now become a 100-day prescription, at around 8mg/night. I'm already taking -less- than what is prescribed for me, because really, I only need around 8mg/night. But the previous refills only came round, and unscored, and as anyone who's tried knows, trying to break up those tiny little _round_ pills into tinier little segments is a study in futility.

Geez

Guess Seroquel is the new designer drug?

BTW, you do know you can't cut in half a pill that isn't scored? Even if you manage to cut it in two, they aren't designed to be cut, so you run the risk of getting uneven amounts of medication per half.

Look, I'm getting SICK of the way my ds is being "treated" (or I should say mismanaged). We've had CPS out here several times wanting to know why he keeps attempting suicide. We tell them to look at the meds hes forced to take---blank look. Look, see that, black box warning? another blank look. I'm thinking of going on a talk show---where's Oprah when you need her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
 
9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Reputation: 15409
Anon---whatever you do, do NOT take Seroquel, especially if your problem is sleep. The reason they don't want to prescribe controlled substances is because of the regulations, reporting, monitoring, etc. However, Seroquel is a schedule 3 substance, so what's the difference? All I know is, its turned my child into a monster!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Reputation: 20198
I have no intention of taking Seroquel. I mean, unless I become psychotic some day, mixed with depression and anxiety-caused insomnia. I'm guessing Seroquel would be a great drug if you have a combination of all three problems. For anything else, it's just overkill.

Ambien works for me. It doesn't work for a lot of people. Most people have at least -some- side effects from it, and most of them are strange, if not downright unpleasant and potentially dangerous. I'm one of the fortunate minority that experiences zero side effects (my husband would be the first to tell me if I was sexing him up in my sleep and my scale would let me know if I was raiding the fridge in my sleep), and all the benefits it is marketed to have. My sister can't take it, because she was informed by her friends that she was texting them at 3 in the morning. She had no memory of it at all. That alone was enough to scare her away from it.

Also, the PA didn't want to prescribe it, because she was misinformed. My _physician_ (the PA's boss) had no problem prescribing it at all, I didn't have to confront her about it, she asked me how I was doing with it, I told her, she said all my bloodwork looks fine, my weight is improving, my musculature is improving, my bone problems seem to be improving because I'm working out, my diet was improved, everything looked great, so there ya go, come back in 6 months for another checkup and I'll have a talk with the PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM
 
9,454 posts, read 15,020,411 times
Reputation: 15409
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I have no intention of taking Seroquel. I mean, unless I become psychotic some day, mixed with depression and anxiety-caused insomnia. I'm guessing Seroquel would be a great drug if you have a combination of all three problems. For anything else, it's just overkill.

Ambien works for me. It doesn't work for a lot of people. Most people have at least -some- side effects from it, and most of them are strange, if not downright unpleasant and potentially dangerous. I'm one of the fortunate minority that experiences zero side effects (my husband would be the first to tell me if I was sexing him up in my sleep and my scale would let me know if I was raiding the fridge in my sleep), and all the benefits it is marketed to have. My sister can't take it, because she was informed by her friends that she was texting them at 3 in the morning. She had no memory of it at all. That alone was enough to scare her away from it.

Also, the PA didn't want to prescribe it, because she was misinformed. My _physician_ (the PA's boss) had no problem prescribing it at all, I didn't have to confront her about it, she asked me how I was doing with it, I told her, she said all my bloodwork looks fine, my weight is improving, my musculature is improving, my bone problems seem to be improving because I'm working out, my diet was improved, everything looked great, so there ya go, come back in 6 months for another checkup and I'll have a talk with the PA.
Can't you just refuse to see the PA/ Schedule an appt with the doc only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Can't you just refuse to see the PA/ Schedule an appt with the doc only?
When it comes to checkups, I don't care who I see. The purpose of the checkup is to check my levels and give me a new scrip. If the PA chooses not to scrip me as the Dr. and I agreed, then I'll just ask her to confer with the Dr. and I'll wait at the counter til I get the appropriate one.

I don't anticipate any more problems after my recent physical though, and I don't borrow trouble when I have none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Colorado
274 posts, read 398,671 times
Reputation: 444
Working a night shift (6pm to 6am) for 8 years I could never get more than 3 or 4 hours of sleep until my doctor gave me hydrocodone for the pain from spinal stenosis - it knocked me out and I found my 'sleeping' pill. Now whenever I need to sleep I take one and I'm out. Problem solved (for both pain and sleep!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Southwest Arkansas
768 posts, read 625,319 times
Reputation: 815
Melatonin works well for me
5Mg and I'm out in 30 minutes
About $9 for 150
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top