U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Status: "Cats know. Cats always know." (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Pennsylvania
15,595 posts, read 9,619,726 times
Reputation: 26118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I took a generic for years and never felt as good as I do now being on Levoxyl, I've been on this for 5 years and will never take a generic thyroid med again. My pharmacist also recommends against the generic.
Did the pharmacist say why? Just curious.


I've been on the med for 20 yrs this year. (Happy anniversary to me. ). Had some problem with the generic but the dr increased the dose a bit and everything's been fine since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
10,737 posts, read 19,101,270 times
Reputation: 14730
I'm confused - I thought Levoxyl was the generic and Synthroid the brand name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there...
3,653 posts, read 7,274,417 times
Reputation: 3677
Levoxyl is brand name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,568 posts, read 26,190,928 times
Reputation: 26618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
I take synthroid due to hypothyroidism from Hashimotos. I have found that for me personally there is a difference between the synthoid and levothyroxine. I take the synthroid because I notice a return of some symptoms on the levothyroxine.
Synthroid is levothyroxine. It is just a brand name. If you switch to a generic, the dose may need to be readjusted, but it is the same drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,246 posts, read 1,717,383 times
Reputation: 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Synthroid is levothyroxine. It is just a brand name. If you switch to a generic, the dose may need to be readjusted, but it is the same drug.

Yes, it is the same thing. I was stating that I have noticed a difference between the generic levothyroxine and the brand name synthroid. The brand name works best for me even if the generic dosage is upped. I don't know why, but I know that I feel a difference physically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,144 posts, read 17,693,860 times
Reputation: 22558
well I have been taking this generic the levo something and I tell you I cannot tell the difference in the way I feel I have only been taking it for about 3 months and cannot tell the difference now while taking it and before I had started taking it , could that mean I dont really need it and my dr was mistaken in putting me on it .. I dont have alot of confidence in this dr and thank God wont need her much longer moving away in 6 months , but could she have made a mistake in prescribing it for me ? she said I had what she called a sluggish thyroid and Im thinking I probably should not have been put on this after reading the posts here . Now Im really confused and kind of irritated that she might have done something irresponsible .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,568 posts, read 26,190,928 times
Reputation: 26618
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I have been taking this generic the levo something and I tell you I cannot tell the difference in the way I feel I have only been taking it for about 3 months and cannot tell the difference now while taking it and before I had started taking it , could that mean I dont really need it and my dr was mistaken in putting me on it .. I dont have alot of confidence in this dr and thank God wont need her much longer moving away in 6 months , but could she have made a mistake in prescribing it for me ? she said I had what she called a sluggish thyroid and Im thinking I probably should not have been put on this after reading the posts here . Now Im really confused and kind of irritated that she might have done something irresponsible .
No, she is not being irresponsible.

Treating a sluggish thyroid before it causes symptoms is recommended because it can prevent complications in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,144 posts, read 17,693,860 times
Reputation: 22558
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, she is not being irresponsible.

Treating a sluggish thyroid before it causes symptoms is recommended because it can prevent complications in the long run.
Hi there and thanks for answering me but I think Im going to have to stop taking this med anyways cause I dont have health insurance anymore and medicaid wants to charge me a whoping 300 a month i cant afford that ... that is what they call the spend down and it is based on what my hubby makes and im not working due to my drs telling me work is a no no for me .. and apparently medicaid does not take your bills into account so I am going to have to say bye bye to most of my drs and my meds ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
21,568 posts, read 26,190,928 times
Reputation: 26618
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hi there and thanks for answering me but I think Im going to have to stop taking this med anyways cause I dont have health insurance anymore and medicaid wants to charge me a whoping 300 a month i cant afford that ... that is what they call the spend down and it is based on what my hubby makes and im not working due to my drs telling me work is a no no for me .. and apparently medicaid does not take your bills into account so I am going to have to say bye bye to most of my drs and my meds ....

Generic levothyroxine at many drug stores is $10 for three months. That is equivalent to about two fast food meals.

Many other generics are just as cheap.

If you need a brand name product, see if the manufacturer has a patient assistance program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,144 posts, read 17,693,860 times
Reputation: 22558
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Generic levothyroxine at many drug stores is $10 for three months. That is equivalent to about two fast food meals.

Many other generics are just as cheap.

If you need a brand name product, see if the manufacturer has a patient assistance program.
Wow I dont know where you buy your rxs but ours are extremely costly .. we dont eat fast food so not sure what that was about but we just scrape by as it is .. Im saying we dont have the money to buy rxs after we pay our bills , we are not spendy people we are thrifty and watch every penny .we are just going to have to quit the drs cause we simply just cannot afford it out of pocket anymore end of story .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top