U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:42 AM

358 posts, read 125,960 times

Advertisements

I have been on thyroid meds for 27 years. I am 43 years old, active, low normal healthy weight, and eat very healthy. That out of the way, I recently had the same experience as the OP. My doctor specifically calls in my prescription with instructions for the brand name because my body does not respond to the generic nearly as well. This last time I didn't check when I picked up my three month supply from the pharmacy and came home with the generic. I thought instead of going through the hassle of getting it changed, I would just suck it up. It has been several months and I have not felt this miserable in a very long time. I am severely depressed, walking around in a brain fog, hair shedding by the handful, clothes are tight on me despite exercising intensively an hour and a half every day and eating very clean as I was doing before (I was 109-110 lbs for a long time and now I am 112). I am exhausted and anxious but still push through my workouts because I love exercise, but let me tell you it is not easy when one is hypo. I am having trouble focusing at work. I am definitely going back to the doctor and getting back on the brand name Synthroid. I dearly miss who I was months ago. I have had this issue before with the generic (hence my doctor writing specific instructions) and should have known better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,833,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
And I think the second quote is very judgemental. It is very very easy to say: "Just eat less! Just exercise more!" You know what, though? That isn't really very realistic. Out of all the overweight people in this country, how many do you think want to be overweight? And how many have NOT already heard the advice I've just restated? I would bet you could count the people who have NOT heard that advice on one hand, and you'd have fingers left over. So why does obesity still happen? Are you really going to say that, out of all those overweight people, some, or even most, have not done their best to follow those simple concepts, only to find that they are not all that simple?

And now I will get to that feeling of fatigue. That is real. If you don't get it bad enough that it stops you from doing whatever it is you need to do? Great for you! That is a good thing. Other people are not so lucky.

I used to be a competitive athlete. I had a LOT of physical discipline. Way more than most people ever even dream of. My story is much more than just thyroid, but thyroid has been a significant factor. I am now 50 or more pounds overweight - and I have never been able to get it back down to where I know it should be, and where I WANT it to be. The fatigue has played a big part in this. Every day I get up and I say I will do better and this will be the day that I get on the road to getting back to where I can feel my best and to being the person I know I am. Somehow, it keeps not happening. I'm too tired.

Sure, sometimes it might be an excuse. But my first response is going to lean towards believing somebody when they tell me a story like this. Because I've lived a story like that.
You don't have to eat less. You just need to eat healthier to lose weight. Some people can't exercise due to physical ailments or whatever, but they can eat healthier foods and stop shoving food in their mouth once they're satisfied. Being fit isn't difficult; you just have to keep trying and not give up. It doesn't happen overnight.

Having a thyroid disorder isn't a legitimate excuse for not trying. I'm hypo, and I am tired quite a bit. My wife would tell you I go to bed early just about every night. Days that I exercise (whether I feel like it or not), I have more energy than when I don't exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness