U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,170,823 times

Advertisements

I work out a lot each morning which help alleviate a lot of the stress that builds up. You can also try meditation. My mother does that sometimes to relieve stress.

I have a friend that runs miles and miles whenever he is angry or stressed out. Eventually he comes back hours later and he's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
Thanks guys, I'm going to print these out and use them--I esp think the one about losing myself in a hobby is going to work--I have a banjo and I've been wanting to learn to play it b/c music soothes my soul. Also, going to get the diet back on track this year and I am already an exercise nut--dancing is a great outlet. Still, sometimes it just builds up and makes me crazy but usually after great dietary indiscretions.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Exercise.
It sounds stressful to have to work it in somewhere, but it will elevate your mood and give you lots of energy.

Reading. I am always reading.

Forum. It gives me a place to discuss issues that people IRL might be touchy about. That's like food to me...the conversations, the debates, the news...

Cooking really delicious (and often complicated) food.

This one cracks people up: cleaning the house. It's so mindless that it is meditative and then you get that good feeling that you accomplished something.

Playing Jeopardy with my wife. That is so much fun.

And finally...sometimes you just have to pack up and hit a secluded beach resort somewhere and let it all fall off of you.

The most important thing you can do on a day-to-day basis is make your home an oasis. People ask me why I drive so far to work...let me tell you, when I turn onto my street and see my beautiful house and trees, etc...it makes me smile every time.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 AM

233 posts, read 644,783 times
Yep the prescription is

involvement with people you care about and who care about you
community involvement
yoga then meditation
proper nutrition / vitamin intake
music
create something, paint a picture, etcc.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What is stress? How does it feel like? Never had it.
Until 3 years ago I was asking myself the very same question and wondering why people freaked out about stuff so much. But then try having a bunch of stuff piled on you too quickly--crazy stuff like stalkers and getting knifed at your job and other crap while still trying to process the fact that your spouse of 23 years doesn't want you anymore--never wanted you. Add in a mother going down fast with alzheimer's and all of this while knowing that you need to get a better job. There's more but I'll stop--I know there are many people in the world who have it much worse and I can count the blessing of having really nice kids who are working hard on getting their educations so it's not all bad--just . . . crazy making.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I've had a major amount of stress for the last 3 years and with each "event" it just gets worse. All of these events has been unavoidable and many of them have been a complete surprise, in that I didn't see them coming. Before the first event, exactly 3 years ago today, my life was on an even keel and I had very little stress for many years. How do you stay sane? Besides a nice hot bath or something, what do you guys do to de-stress?
RUN.

Really fast, really hard for as long as you can (after a good warmup of course)

You'd be amazed how much this can help!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:52 PM

2,533 posts, read 2,382,712 times
Bach

Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
I'll list some of my favorite de-stressors that come readily to mind:
* A walk in the desert
* 30 minutes in the gym
* One bottle of beer
* A tsp of Bali kratom
* A 5 minute meditation

Old 12-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
RUN.

Really fast, really hard for as long as you can (after a good warmup of course)

You'd be amazed how much this can help!
LOL, when I saw run, my first thought was to run away from my problems. Tempting! Seriously though--blech, I hate running and have plantar fasciitis, but I know what you mean--I get exercise in other ways. Cosmic, that's the second time I've seen a reference to kratom--I'll look it up. I did go for a walk in the desert this past summer and it was nice and relaxing.

Well, off for a couple of days to hang out with mom so I can hover over her moaning, "Eat! Please eat!"

Old 12-29-2011, 04:10 PM

2,190 posts, read 5,726,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
If in doubt, exercise.. really hard..

Eating less food but higher energy foods also seems to help.. lay off the bread, candy, fast food, etc. and eat more fruits, vegetables, etc.
Not necessarily.
For those who are depleted (which is often caused by stress and adrenal fatigue) exercising "really hard" is counter indicated.
So that advice is not a appropriate for everyone.
Also, i used to run many miles a day in order to deal with stress and other emotional issues that i wasn't capable of dealing with in a more balanced way.
It may (depending on the individual) provide temporarily relief but never really addresses the core issue(s).
Gentle exercise (like walking) and deep breathing (a good idea always) is a simple, gentle, balanced and effective way to de-stress.
I do agree with the dietary advice though.
And i'd also recommend avoiding too much caffeine or avoiding it altogether if possible.
Many people who seem to have a lot of energy are running on adrenaline and revving themselves in order to function in the way that this ridiculous culture demands and yet it's not real energy and the result is depletion.
That kind of depletion can be so problematic later in life and for women exacerbates problems having to do with hormonal imbalances and makes peri-menopause and menopause all the more difficult to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness