U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 AM

3,784 posts, read 7,193,379 times

Advertisements

Walk in nature. The beach and the desert have been mentioned, but any nature will do. Through the trees, along the stream, by the lake, . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 AM

21,576 posts, read 18,223,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Excellent list- EFT is amazing I highly recommend it
This is also wonderful advice; I meditate, but do a lot of these other things, as well Freeing your mind is essential to de-stressing....
What is EFT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm not sure about that. I have a schedule that switches all over the place (in terms of hours) within the same month. It is a job where I'm on my feet the whole time. Sometimes I work till 5pm, sometimes I work till midnight, sometimes I work till 7 in the morning, sometimes it switches back and forth within the same 10 day period. Top it off with it being a super stressful job (physically and mentally). I have been doing this for over 10 years.
My adrenals are and should be toasted. I feel like a slug and I have headaches and am very demotivated.

Now I work out HARD four times a week.
This has made a HUGE difference in my mood and energy level. Not to mention my endurance.
Fast food manager????

Quote:
I think the important thing is to realize that sometimes there is NOT a solution to a problem and then being able to let go of the issue.

Letting go goes a long way in this whole destressing thing.
That is an excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Walk in nature. The beach and the desert have been mentioned, but any nature will do. Through the trees, along the stream, by the lake, . . .
I have made the decision to let go and am going to go back to the house my hubby and I bought for ourselves which has a river and plenty of wildlife. That will certainly calm me down when he dies shortly. I thought I needed this house(after I inherited it) that I grew up in to "hang on to" me and my memories of my childhood but now I find I will need to hang onto my memories of my adult life with hubby more. Hubs will stay here with me until he passes so I can still work but after he goes, I will go "home" and transfer to that city and let nature's calming effects work for me.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 AM

42,325 posts, read 49,965,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

Fast food manager????

Emergency medicine physician.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:04 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,319,527 times
If find a daily 20-25 mile ride on my mountain bike keeps my stress level low.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,767,816 times
I find that there are a couple of things I can do that take less than a minute:

1. Take in a very deep breath, hold for about ten seconds, and then exhale fully. Repeat several times. (That will also lower your blood pressure immediately by about 20 points.
Or . . .
2. Washing my hands thoroughly with hot, soapy water always significantly reduces stress.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,534,210 times
Quote:
I think the important thing is to realize that sometimes there is NOT a solution to a problem and then being able to let go of the issue.

Letting go goes a long way in this whole destressing thing.
It can help if that is the only option.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 PM

21,576 posts, read 18,223,622 times
Quote:
Emergency medicine physician.

I love the shows about ERs! Yep, tough, tough job and kudos to you, stan!

Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 PM

9,485 posts, read 16,470,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
There is always a solution to a problem though. Stressing will make the issue worse and won't solve anything.
No there is not a solution to every problem--or maybe there is but it's the one you know you're not going to do. For instance--mom is going down fast with alzheimer's and won't eat. Neither of those is anything I can do anything about, though I am researching furiously for supplements that might slow things down. I can't even make her eat--and yesterday she threw up 2 out of 3 meals so we'll call the doc but that's all we can do. Husband comes out gay? How do you solve that? I could either divorce him or stay married to a gay man--what a great set of choices. Stalker--someone I casually met and had a conversation with--not a friend or date. How do you control what someone else does? The knifer was random--she was not out for me and I actually took the hit for a student, for which I was grateful. But you know what Texas--I think you just helped me to realize something--the reason I'm so stressed over this stuff is b/c it is things over which I have no control--you can't control other people, only yourself and while I already knew that, this just drove it home. It's random stuff, like everyone has problems you know? But most of us like to have them a little more spread out so we can recover our equilibrium between sets. After the third big event I thought that things happen in threes, and I can handle this, but we're past the 3x3. Or maybe it's 3 years, in which case maybe I'm homefree.

I'm going to look into the EFT btw, and many of the suggestions are things I do but have forgotten about lately, like walking in nature--I love to do that. And I think Jaijai is right about the adrenals and exercise fatigue--seems like I can't go nearly as long as I used to, even though I've kept up with it--I should be further along. And diet--I can control that. I'm on it.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,295,095 times
When things get really tough, here are my personal "go tos" from my anti-stress bag of tricks:

1. Prayer/meditation.
2. Progressive muscle relaxation helps me wind down for sleep, see link here: Progressive muscle relaxation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
3. Exercise, as mentioned in the other posts, but specifically strength-oriented exercise, such as weight training or body-weight stuff (even doing some jumping jacks next to my desk can help get me out of a bad mood).
4. A website/book/movie you find hilarious is great for breaking the tension temporarily (damnyouautocorrect works for me LOL)
5. Taking a very hot bath in epsom salts. They really help relax me and also help with muscle soreness if I have overdone the strength training!
6. As far as letting go, sometimes I write a letter that I never intend to send. I simply put all my thoughts on that paper and then either burn it or rip it to bits. Very therapeutic!
6. Many times I just "fake it to make it." I paint on that smile and go out and treat people how I want to be treated, and then their positive responses are in turn calming and helpful to me

Tonight I will symbolically burn my 2011 calendar from my desk. It was a rough year but I will literally destroy it and hang my new fresh 2012 calendar in its place.

I hope all of you will find the peace you are seeking in this new year!!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:48 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,534,210 times
What do the doctor's say about your mother? Husband was Bi or Gay? Why was he not up front? Knifer? I do sympathize with you as I am going to through personal health issues myself and still fighting to find a permanent solution. Do you suffer from OCD, Anxiety? Any disorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
No there is not a solution to every problem--or maybe there is but it's the one you know you're not going to do. For instance--mom is going down fast with alzheimer's and won't eat. Neither of those is anything I can do anything about, though I am researching furiously for supplements that might slow things down. I can't even make her eat--and yesterday she threw up 2 out of 3 meals so we'll call the doc but that's all we can do. Husband comes out gay? How do you solve that? I could either divorce him or stay married to a gay man--what a great set of choices. Stalker--someone I casually met and had a conversation with--not a friend or date. How do you control what someone else does? The knifer was random--she was not out for me and I actually took the hit for a student, for which I was grateful. But you know what Texas--I think you just helped me to realize something--the reason I'm so stressed over this stuff is b/c it is things over which I have no control--you can't control other people, only yourself and while I already knew that, this just drove it home. It's random stuff, like everyone has problems you know? But most of us like to have them a little more spread out so we can recover our equilibrium between sets. After the third big event I thought that things happen in threes, and I can handle this, but we're past the 3x3. Or maybe it's 3 years, in which case maybe I'm homefree.

I'm going to look into the EFT btw, and many of the suggestions are things I do but have forgotten about lately, like walking in nature--I love to do that. And I think Jaijai is right about the adrenals and exercise fatigue--seems like I can't go nearly as long as I used to, even though I've kept up with it--I should be further along. And diet--I can control that. I'm on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness