U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 01:15 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,420,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What do the doctor's say about your mother? Husband was Bi or Gay? Why was he not up front? Knifer? I do sympathize with you as I am going to through personal health issues myself and still fighting to find a permanent solution. Do you suffer from OCD, Anxiety? Any disorder?
ADD and stress seems to make it worse--like I'm ditzier than ever. I went to a dance tonight and really cut loose and that was fantastic.

Doc says mother has alzheimer's and not much can be done--aricept didn't work. Not eating with AD patients is common, but throwing up isn't. Husband? Who cares anymore whether he was bi or gay--he was ready for a man is all I know. I hope you find the answer to your problems--I would keep looking even if doc says it's not curable b/c they're wrong sometimes you know.

Karen s, I had to chuckle a little about your letter that never gets sent. I'm bad about that--somehow I always push the send button and then regret it, but I sent my former SIL a letter this past spring and she didn't like it but I was glad I sent it--she needed to know that she didn't completely get away with her crap. Other times though I would have given anything to get that letter back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 AM

12,671 posts, read 20,499,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
ADD and stress seems to make it worse--like I'm ditzier than ever. I went to a dance tonight and really cut loose and that was fantastic.

Doc says mother has alzheimer's and not much can be done--aricept didn't work. Not eating with AD patients is common, but throwing up isn't. Husband? Who cares anymore whether he was bi or gay--he was ready for a man is all I know. I hope you find the answer to your problems--I would keep looking even if doc says it's not curable b/c they're wrong sometimes you know.

Karen s, I had to chuckle a little about your letter that never gets sent. I'm bad about that--somehow I always push the send button and then regret it, but I sent my former SIL a letter this past spring and she didn't like it but I was glad I sent it--she needed to know that she didn't completely get away with her crap. Other times though I would have given anything to get that letter back.
I probably have ADHD. I try to focus though. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-01-2012 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,287,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
ROFL - I make sure if I type one of these letters that I do not type it in an e-mail program, otherwise it is WAY too tempting to hit "send." I did almost actually send one to my SIL but it would not have served a meaningful purpose and I ripped it to bits instead

Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,953,736 times
[quote=tamiznluv;22324186]What is EFT???

Fast food manager????

How Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) Works - YouTube

Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,692,098 times
I go to the cathedral and enjoy:

1. The tranquility of the inside
2. The trickling of the holy water fountain
3. The chirping of the birds in the windows and interiors
4. The sound of the wind moving the dry leaves
5. The random echo of sounds
6. The presence of God
7. Slowly telling him my successes, my failures, my pains and my immediate needs.
8. Very important, never go when other people are present. 2 to 4 pm is the best time.
9. Sometimes I lie on the bench, stretched and enjoy 15 minutes in this posture looking at the decorated ceiling.
10. I like hearing my own breathing sound Proof of my well-being.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:46 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,953,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I go to the cathedral and enjoy:

1. The tranquility of the inside
2. The trickling of the holy water fountain
3. The chirping of the birds in the windows and interiors
4. The sound of the wind moving the dry leaves
5. The random echo of sounds
6. The presence of God
7. Slowly telling him my successes, my failures, my pains and my immediate needs.
8. Very important, never go when other people are present. 2 to 4 pm is the best time.
9. Sometimes I lie on the bench, stretched and enjoy 15 minutes in this posture looking at the decorated ceiling.
10. I like hearing my own breathing sound Proof of my well-being.
This also works- I like to just get some place alone & talk with God...if anyone knows our struggles it's Him. Peace, tranquility & comfort is what I find when I confide in God.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,177,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Not necessarily.
For those who are depleted (which is often caused by stress and adrenal fatigue) exercising "really hard" is counter indicated.
So that advice is not a appropriate for everyone.
Also, i used to run many miles a day in order to deal with stress and other emotional issues that i wasn't capable of dealing with in a more balanced way.
It may (depending on the individual) provide temporarily relief but never really addresses the core issue(s).
Gentle exercise (like walking) and deep breathing (a good idea always) is a simple, gentle, balanced and effective way to de-stress.
I do agree with the dietary advice though.
And i'd also recommend avoiding too much caffeine or avoiding it altogether if possible.
Many people who seem to have a lot of energy are running on adrenaline and revving themselves in order to function in the way that this ridiculous culture demands and yet it's not real energy and the result is depletion.
That kind of depletion can be so problematic later in life and for women exacerbates problems having to do with hormonal imbalances and makes peri-menopause and menopause all the more difficult to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm not sure about that. I have a schedule that switches all over the place (in terms of hours) within the same month. It is a job where I'm on my feet the whole time. Sometimes I work till 5pm, sometimes I work till midnight, sometimes I work till 7 in the morning, sometimes it switches back and forth within the same 10 day period. Top it off with it being a super stressful job (physically and mentally). I have been doing this for over 10 years.
My adrenals are and should be toasted. I feel like a slug and I have headaches and am very demotivated.

Now I work out HARD four times a week.
This has made a HUGE difference in my mood and energy level. Not to mention my endurance.
I guess if most of the stress in your life is in the form of physical stress, then exercising real hard is pretty counterproductive. In that case, maybe do something that really challenges your brain.. read a difficult book or play a difficult video game. Solve some challenging brain teasers. If this applies, try exercising your mind and report back how it worked.

I've struggled with type of stress and fatigue where you are not physically tired but your mind is completely exhausted to the point where you don't have any will to do anything but lie down. In THAT case, I'll push myself to hit the gym and exercise VERY hard while keeping my mind disengaged during that time.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:06 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,692,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
This also works- I like to just get some place alone & talk with God...if anyone knows our struggles it's Him. Peace, tranquility & comfort is what I find when I confide in God.
A cathedral provides the best effect. In fact, it compounds it, for that is the power of architecture

It all about the huge campus, the gardens, the arches, the huge doorway, the panels on the windows, the glass work and importantly how the sun's rays trickle into the interior. It seems as though the heavens pour in, that grace penetrates the chambers, and seeks to cleanse the place of the filth humans place in there and outside.

The bad thing about most of America is the lack of cathedrals for it's not a heavily catholic country and emphasis in other forms of the faith is never on architecture and splendor, for these people somehow missed the plot on the true reason for the grandeur - to elevate the spirits of the soul which takes refuge in there.

When I was in the South, I have been in churches which felt like huge halls or warehouses, short ceilings and lack of creativity. Even the few cathedrals weren't big enough. Where I grew up, cathedrals abound, I always hung out there in the afternoons, I wrote accounts of the happenings of nature on pen and paper. If only twitter and facebook were around in my teens, I'd have documented them digitally. Those papers are lost now, but I remember how it felt

But that doesn't mean there is no way of exercising this experience. There should be some church out there set in an idyllic location. Noone else should be there. People presence distorts it

At times, it would rain and I'd perch myself in one of those huge French windows and simply look at the streams made by the rain and the leaves dripping drops. There's also a shrill sound when the drizzle hits the surrounding objects. Makes me want to be Keats, a happy one.

Episcopalians build good churches too. But they won't leave you alone. They sometimes ooze out too much love.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,420,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
A cathedral provides the best effect. In fact, it compounds it, for that is the power of architecture

It all about the huge campus, the gardens, the arches, the huge doorway, the panels on the windows, the glass work and importantly how the sun's rays trickle into the interior. It seems as though the heavens pour in, that grace penetrates the chambers, and seeks to cleanse the place of the filth humans place in there and outside.
I totally agree. I've been all over the world so I've seen many cathedrals and so many are amazing. Some people have pointed out all the sweat and money that was pulled out of the congregationists and I think of it as something that then belonged to them--something they never could have created on their own and now they have a fabulous place to go worship. Once we stepped into a beautiful cathedral in Mexico and there was a cat walking around the . . . catwalk? about 20 feet above our heads and meowing furiously the whole time. We are fortunate to have a lovely cathedral with the most mosaics of any cathedral in the world and right here in St Louis. In fact, I had the most amazing dream one night that was centered around that cathedral--I was carrying a woman's soul through "the tunnel" and the tunnel was covered with mosaics just like our cathedral. Beautiful.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
Antler and Step...I agree that cathederals can be amazing places for spiritual worship and insight, but for me, the natural cathedrals ( aka National Parks and other natural places ) are even more conducive for spiritual practice. God is the best architect of the whole lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness