Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:39 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Until 3 years ago I was asking myself the very same question and wondering why people freaked out about stuff so much. But then try having a bunch of stuff piled on you too quickly--crazy stuff like stalkers and getting knifed at your job and other crap while still trying to process the fact that your spouse of 23 years doesn't want you anymore--never wanted you. Add in a mother going down fast with alzheimer's and all of this while knowing that you need to get a better job. There's more but I'll stop--I know there are many people in the world who have it much worse and I can count the blessing of having really nice kids who are working hard on getting their educations so it's not all bad--just . . . crazy making.
There is always a solution to a problem though. Stressing will make the issue worse and won't solve anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Smile Or go buy something fun at Goodwill!

Yes, I know about the stress; I have it too. When possible, I like to go outside and work in my garden. I also love to read. Or take a walk. Or go buy something fun at Goodwill!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
I am a nervous wreck, so have to employ the following:

* EFT
* Multi-vitamin and vitamin B
* Camomile tea
* Hot baths with lavender essential oil and Epsom salts
* Massage - lots of massage - it is the only thing I believe has kept me alive
* Soothing massage type of music
* Healthy, whole foods diet
* Walking dog at beach
* Talking to someone about what is going on

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
If I am stressed at work I try and make the best of it and then leave it at work and come home and put it out of mind. I don't suffer from alot of stress but when I do coming home to my house and husband seems to help me.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 PM

So what is really the OP's issue?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Medications, diet, herbs and exercise will help.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am a nervous wreck, so have to employ the following:

* EFT
* Multi-vitamin and vitamin B
* Camomile tea
* Hot baths with lavender essential oil and Epsom salts
* Massage - lots of massage - it is the only thing I believe has kept me alive
* Soothing massage type of music
* Healthy, whole foods diet
* Walking dog at beach
* Talking to someone about what is going on
Excellent list- EFT is amazing I highly recommend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Do things that involve concentrating on the moment and being in the moment. While meditation isn't for everyone, you can explore hobbies which require you to focus on what you're doing and use that as an outlet. It can be photography, fishing, shooting at a gun range, astronomy, cooking--experimenting with new recipes, or whatever happens to spark your interest. These are good escapes or ways to decompress. Whatever is troubling you may still be there, but at least you can do something to free your mind for awhile and get some relief.

Exercise is also a big stress reliever. You don't have to push yourself until your tongue is hanging out of your mouth, but some moderate exercise can do your mind (and body) good. It helps you sleep better too which is an important stress fighter.
This is also wonderful advice; I meditate, but do a lot of these other things, as well Freeing your mind is essential to de-stressing....

Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Until 3 years ago I was asking myself the very same question and wondering why people freaked out about stuff so much. But then try having a bunch of stuff piled on you too quickly--crazy stuff like stalkers and getting knifed at your job and other crap while still trying to process the fact that your spouse of 23 years doesn't want you anymore--never wanted you. Add in a mother going down fast with alzheimer's and all of this while knowing that you need to get a better job. There's more but I'll stop--I know there are many people in the world who have it much worse and I can count the blessing of having really nice kids who are working hard on getting their educations so it's not all bad--just . . . crazy making.
There is no need to stress instead work on a solution.

If you keep stressing then nothing will get resolved and you will make the matter worse.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
For those who are depleted (which is often caused by stress and adrenal fatigue) exercising "really hard" is counter indicated. .
I'm not sure about that. I have a schedule that switches all over the place (in terms of hours) within the same month. It is a job where I'm on my feet the whole time. Sometimes I work till 5pm, sometimes I work till midnight, sometimes I work till 7 in the morning, sometimes it switches back and forth within the same 10 day period. Top it off with it being a super stressful job (physically and mentally). I have been doing this for over 10 years.
My adrenals are and should be toasted. I feel like a slug and I have headaches and am very demotivated.

Now I work out HARD four times a week.
This has made a HUGE difference in my mood and energy level. Not to mention my endurance.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
There is always a solution to a problem though. Stressing will make the issue worse and won't solve anything.
I think the important thing is to realize that sometimes there is NOT a solution to a problem and then being able to let go of the issue.

Letting go goes a long way in this whole destressing thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness