U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 PM

575 posts, read 848,634 times

Advertisements

You're on the Health and Wellness forums a lot!

Wanted opinions from the ladies that have over active bladder issues and what you found that has helped. Exercises, medications....? Unpleasant side effects that made you get off the medication?
I have suffered from this condition for a long time but didn't know it. I didn't know it was unusual to go to the bathroom as much as I do. I thought it had to do with the uterine fibroids that press on my bladder but my husband reminded me today that as long as he has known me, I am forever looking for the nearest bathroom where ever we go. No leakage except when I sneeze or cough, sometimes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
If you have not have leakage related to an uncontrollable urge to go, I would wonder about the diagnosis of overactive bladder. With OAB, the muscle in the wall of the bladder starts to contract and is difficult to stop voluntarily. That usually results in a wetting accident unless a toilet is really close by.

If you go frequently, but the bladder is truly full, that is normal and related to your fluid intake.

If you go frequently, have the constant urge to go, and it hurts when you do go, the cause is probably a bladder infection: cystitis. The urgency can sometimes be severe enough to cause loss of urine.

The leakage when you cough or sneeze is called stress incontinence and is related to changes in the tissues around the neck of the bladder, usually related to childbirth. It may need surgery to correct it, if it is severe enough to be a problem. The fibroids may make leakage worse.

If the frequency is due to pressure from the fibroids, then I would expect frequent trips but no severe urgency and no accidents. The storage capacity of the bladder is just reduced.

Some women go frequently because they have trained themselves to do it. Consciously delaying the trip to the toilet can help reduce the number of visits.

A gynecologic urologist can help sort out what is going on.

Edited to add: sometimes certain foods, beverages, and medications can play a part. The urologist should be able to help you find out if that is part of the problem.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness