Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Okay, I went to an urgent care clinic today, and got both a topical antibiotic and an oral one (both were Bactrim). And Va-Cat, thanks for the advice about the moist heat. I tried using moist heat at the very beginning, but washcloths seem to cool down so quickly that I gave up. How to you get them to retain their heat once they're warm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Wrap them around a sock filled with white rice. It holds the heat a long time. You nuke it in the microwave; mine is? 1200 watts? and 1 minute is plenty long. I use a rice-sock as a heating pad on sore muscles. You just make one yourself.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-08-2012 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, I really suck at "demanding" stuff from doctors; could you come with me? I think I'm going to go to an urgent care place near me today, and I'll do my best to put your advice to good use. Did the antibiotics work?
Yeah the Bactrim worked for me. I didn't really demand it, I just went in and said "I've got this bad stye and I think I need some antibiotics".

I don't know why, but stress seems to trigger mine. I can get really stressed about something and then a couple days later have a stye.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Wrap them around a sock filled with white rice. It holds the heat a long time. You nuke it in the microwave; mine is? 1200 watts? and 1 minute is plenty long. I use a rice-sock as a heating pad on sore muscles. You just make one yourself.
I've done that before, but is that considered "moist heat"? I got a little heat pack that I warm in the microwave. Would that be essentially the same thing?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know why, but stress seems to trigger mine. I can get really stressed about something and then a couple days later have a stye.
Stress triggers cold sores in me. I was under a tremendous amount of stress in December (not bad stuff, just stressful stuff). I got a cold sore and I knew immediately why. So I can totally believe that my sty was also triggered by stress.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:00 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've done that before, but is that considered "moist heat"? I got a little heat pack that I warm in the microwave. Would that be essentially the same thing?
I'd use just a plain towel. You can keep it warm for a while by folding it. I use a clean kitchen towel and wet it down in the sink. Wring it out till its wet but not dripping. Fold it over at least 3 times so its about the size of a paperback. Put it on a clean plate and microwave until warm. Place on eye. When that side begins to cool, refold to a new warm area. This should be good for about 35 minute to an hour depending on the ambient air temperture. Even if its only slightly warm, it is still doing its job. I'm not sure why the moist works so well but it does!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:28 PM

I meant wrap the hot moist towel around the sock to help hold the heat. Or place a hot moist washcloth on your eye and place the hot sock over it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM

326 posts, read 704,247 times
This thread is a little older so I don't know if you still have stye issues - but I had a weird problem where I kept having persistent styes in just my left eye. I tried everything on the internet forums, tea compress, hot towels - even my own experiments with lemon juice (ouch) and garlic (ouch). I even paid a few hundred to have one lanced by the eye doctor. Though lancing worked (although the scar was visible for sometime) new styes showed up in just that one eye and it would be too expensive and painful to keep going back for lancing...

But then my mother in law gave me one of those old folk remedies -- cod liver oil -- improvement within the first week or so and pretty much gone within a couple months. Who knows maybe some vitamin deficiency?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 PM

Drink it or put it on the sty?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Funny to see this revived, I've gotten another recurrance just as of Tuesday morning and it's driving me bonkers. Warm compresses help as an immediate temp relief, I will apply some of the Bepreve drops I have left from the last time I went to my doctor for my eye issue. At first I didn't even think to look and see If there was anything under my lid, thought it was just simple eye irritation, but sure enough, after something prompted me to lift my lid, there it was, a tiny bump. very irritating little thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness