U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I hate to bring up something but.....
some cheaper lunch meat contains reclaimed meat, meaning its spoiled meats reclaimed from the bone cans and then heated to a high enough temp to kill bacteria and can be legally listed on ingredients as beef pork or chicken.
I believe that's incorrect. Reclaimed meats are the same thing as mechanically separated meats, which simply means the last bits of flesh are removed from the bones by a mechanical means, rather than by hand, which does not crush, break or pulverize the bone.

It is NOT rotten meat recycled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 03:43 PM

233 posts, read 669,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'm sure Boar's Head is a good product but, correct me if I'm wrong, don't they decline to put their ingredients on the label? If I'm right, how do you know what you're eating?
hmmmm...well see i never really even realized that... i just assume that because I can see the huge slab of turkey or chicken that its okay...

truth be told it is super difficult to find food that has not been exploited with some crazy chemical or some horrible process...

even organic and whole grain are terms i dont trust anymore to the point that when i see whole grain i automatically assume this is a crap product

my goal is to hunt my own meat, and raise my own chickens and cows

beautiful

Old 12-05-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
hmmmm...well see i never really even realized that... i just assume that because I can see the huge slab of turkey or chicken that its okay...

truth be told it is super difficult to find food that has not been exploited with some crazy chemical or some horrible process...

even organic and whole grain are terms i dont trust anymore to the point that when i see whole grain i automatically assume this is a crap product

my goal is to hunt my own meat, and raise my own chickens and cows

beautiful

Boar's Head likes to claim their products are MSG free, but if you call their customer service line and press them, they'll admit that it is in some of their products. And, of course, there's the technology which breaks MSG down into its component chemicals and, when those are added to food, they don't have to be listed as MSG.

Go ahead and raise your own chickens and cows, but make sure you feed them grains, or whatever, grown from your own sources or you'll likely end up feeding them stuff grown from genetically altered seeds. Frankenfoods can't really be avoided any more.

On the other hand, why worry about it? You're gonna die one day anyhow, so what difference will a few more years make?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM

233 posts, read 669,169 times
Quote:
Boar's Head likes to claim their products are MSG free, but if you call their customer service line and press them, they'll admit that it is in some of their products. And, of course, there's the technology which breaks MSG down into its component chemicals and, when those are added to food, they don't have to be listed as MSG.

Go ahead and raise your own chickens and cows, but make sure you feed them grains, or whatever, grown from your own sources or you'll likely end up feeding them stuff grown from genetically altered seeds. Frankenfoods can't really be avoided any more.

On the other hand, why worry about it? You're gonna die one day anyhow, so what difference will a few more years make?
You make good points but for me I like to live as clean and healthy as possible.. I chew my food a lot and drink crazy amounts of water. I take a lot of cognition enhancing supplements and I am constantly researching how to optimize everything..so that is my goal: continuous optimization.

I am to the point that eating processed sugar gives me headaches (found this out in 2007 xmas time when I had a candy cane) ... so I donno..it is just always a continuous process to remove the bs ..

Old 12-06-2011, 03:15 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,015,115 times
Quote:
I'm sure Boar's Head is a good product but, correct me if I'm wrong, don't they decline to put their ingredients on the label? If I'm right, how do you know what you're eating?

Further, not everyone can afford meat that is over $10 per pound.

I don't eat the meat that is in the article, but I'm sure most people know that they are not buying top-shelf meat called cotto salami. Some people care, and others don't.

It's not the meat remnants that bother me, it is the chemicals used in products like that, and well, almost all products. I've eaten blood sausage before, and it was ok for congealed blood, a little meat, and fat.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:20 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,941,738 times
I have no problems eating it and matter in fact enjoy every stinking morsel of it.

You can take a picture of a leafy vegetable and make it look gross, don't mean it is.

I wish people would get off their high horses.....

As Sheryl Crow once said "I lived a healthy lifestyle, ate nutritious foods and exercised....yet I still got cancer"

as my grandmother said before she passed away at 92, "pass the whiskey"

Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM

I'm amused when people start raving about chemicals in their food. Everything on planet earth is made up of chemicals!

Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM

7,031 posts, read 8,877,049 times
Everything edible looks "gross" when you take close up pictures of it.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:13 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,386,059 times
The "discoloration blob" is probably nose pigment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness