Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

She's really, really, really affected by the cold, the OP that is. I've tried to tell her that she is probably hyperthyroid but to no avail. I lived in SWFlorida where she lives and it is crazy hot, but she has an usual reaction to it. She says she is allergic to the heat or something. She's hyperthyroid.

By the way, I am hypothyroid. I was the same weight - perfect - for all of my adult life, even after having 5 children. Then I gained 90 pounds when I was 45. I was also cold all the time. I mean to the point where my feet and hand hurt and I would cry. That's when they figured out I was hypothyroid. They are still adjusting my meds. I've lost a lot of weight and I am not as cold.

But the OP thinks this is some sort of defect of character. It's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
I'm a 37 and hypothryoid. I used to live in a cold climate but have since moved.

I can tell you that until you actually experience the kind of cold that comes with this, you will never really understand. I can wear layers and layers and not feel warm. My skin is still cold to the touch and I just feel cold right down to the bone. I go to bed wearing socks, pj pants, a tank, a long sleeve and then I have a blanket plus 2 extras on top of me. There are nights I still can't get warm enough even like that.

My pulse rate is low, my blood pressure is low and my body temperature is low and it makes me much less tolerant of cold temperatures.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Some older people also take blood thinning medications that make them feel cold.

I don't like the cold myself because I have a bad back, and for some reason when I get cold and shiver it makes my back hurt.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'm a 37 and hypothryoid. I used to live in a cold climate but have since moved.

I can tell you that until you actually experience the kind of cold that comes with this, you will never really understand. I can wear layers and layers and not feel warm. My skin is still cold to the touch and I just feel cold right down to the bone. I go to bed wearing socks, pj pants, a tank, a long sleeve and then I have a blanket plus 2 extras on top of me. There are nights I still can't get warm enough even like that.

My pulse rate is low, my blood pressure is low and my body temperature is low and it makes me much less tolerant of cold temperatures.
This is so true! I was born and raised in New England so I was use to the cold. When I was in Florida I became hypothyroid, I imagine. The heat suddenly didn't bother me. Then we moved to Knoxville, not as warm as Florida but pretty warm. And the winters here are very, very mild. I will never forget one day I was outside for only a few minutes and my feet became so cold that I was in tears. Going in and covering them with blankets would not make it stop. I finally had to take pain medication. The thyroid system not working correctly is a very scary thing. I've also always had a low temp, low blood pressure. That is finally, after 50 years, becoming normal.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:17 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
When I am cold my husband is hot, when I am hot my husband is cold. I don't think it matters whether you are skinny or overweight. (I hate the term FAT!) Fat to me is more insulting than saying overweight. This thread is funny.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I keep my summer AC thermostat set at about 85, and I have no problem walking to the supermarket and carrying home groceries when it is over 100. But I feel uncomfortably cold when it is 65 in my house in winter, and I bundle up in a sweater. I'm 73, and moved to Texas five years ago, and I think I have just become accustomed to the hotter climate. I lived for ten years in Newfoundland, where the summer temperature seldom got over 65, but I was OK with that then.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
What a rude question.
Agreed. It has to do with preference, and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What is with you people that you need it to be so warm all the time?
To which "you people" do you refer? A number of "you people" here already have proven your question as poorly researched, misguided and ill-advised.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Metabolism

happy reading Jo48

Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
She's really, really, really affected by the cold, the OP that is. I've tried to tell her that she is probably hyperthyroid but to no avail. I lived in SWFlorida where she lives and it is crazy hot, but she has an usual reaction to it. She says she is allergic to the heat or something. She's hyperthyroid.

By the way, I am hypothyroid. I was the same weight - perfect - for all of my adult life, even after having 5 children. Then I gained 90 pounds when I was 45. I was also cold all the time. I mean to the point where my feet and hand hurt and I would cry. That's when they figured out I was hypothyroid. They are still adjusting my meds. I've lost a lot of weight and I am not as cold.

But the OP thinks this is some sort of defect of character. It's not.
Oh, it's not just the heat, but LIGHT. When I was a teenager 50 years ago, I had to get tinted contact lenses because the light bothered my eyes; sunlight or artificial light. I had to wear sunglasses even in the winters because any kind of bright light blinded me. By that I mean it HURT my eyes. My husband 40 years ago called me a vampire because I would get up in the middle of the night and not turn on a light. I could walk around in the dark and be able to SEE. Me and my CATS could see in the dark.

Combined with the heat aversion and LIGHT aversion, I am now convinced I have SUMMER SAD. No, it isn't just HEAT. Bright light, sunlight or artificial, also bothers me. No hypothroid pills is going to solve THAT.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:11 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Indeed, Maggi07!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
What a rude question.

I'm not fat at all and I'm cold all the time. I know other thin people who are cold. Others are warm all the time. Some heavier people are hot, some cold.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness