Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM

574 posts, read 1,061,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Agreed. It has to do with preference, and nothing else.

To which "you people" do you refer? A number of "you people" here already have proven your question as poorly researched, misguided and ill-advised.
Seems like a dislike of elderly and overweight people in general. Very childish outlook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM

698 posts, read 2,833,983 times
I have always wondered about people who wear a sweater, jacket and maybe even scarf with SHORTS!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM

15,124 posts, read 27,625,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
I have always wondered about people who wear a sweater, jacket and maybe even scarf with SHORTS!
That gets me: people have shorts on w/sweatshirts, jackets maybe, scarves, etc. - don't even get me started on those that wear flipflops with winter clothing or those that wear Uggs with shorts and tank tops LOL

Old 01-04-2012, 06:10 PM

698 posts, read 2,833,983 times
Seriously, I just don't get it. The top half is cold but the bottom half isn't? My legs/feet would be blocks of ice.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM

574 posts, read 1,061,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
Seriously, I just don't get it. The top half is cold but the bottom half isn't? My legs/feet would be blocks of ice.
Here in the Northeast we see younger women in warm Northface Jackets wearing flip flops????? What??? When I think of shorts and Uggs Britney Spears comes to mind.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,167,966 times
I'm 10 years older and 100+ pounds heavier than my wife, but she's always cold. Even her hands feel freezing to me, so I think it's poor circulation. She wears a North Face -40F parka to work every day during the winter months; doesn't matter if it's 50F out! And she works indoors and warms up her car before leaving in the morning. It's now January and I've yet to wear more than a fleece jacket liner, and I work outside a good part of the time.

So don't put this on old, fat people. It's just "some people" who are bothered more by the cold. Age may have something to do with it, but I don't think being fat does.

Incidentally, I've learned to live with her high thermostat settings fairly well, and she's learned to wear jeans and a sweatshirt around the house instead of shorts. We don't fight over the heat; we adjust.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM

10,194 posts, read 6,257,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
That gets me: people have shorts on w/sweatshirts, jackets maybe, scarves, etc. - don't even get me started on those that wear flipflops with winter clothing or those that wear Uggs with shorts and tank tops LOL
Their feet are cold but their legs in shorts aren't????? Not to mention that fashion wise, Uggs and shorts are stupid looking!!!!!

Old 01-04-2012, 06:55 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,772,776 times
[quote=Jo48;22384586]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
What is with you people that you need it to be so warm all the time?
I see them in a resteraunt in the summer they are freexing in the ac usuaky somw skinny old lady with a sweater in in july I figure they just dont want ot spend the eceltric bill so they dont turn on the ac ever and get used to the heat then when its cold out they pay

Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM

10,194 posts, read 6,257,929 times
y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Next will be the seasonal affective disorder posts.
Oh, yes it is related. SAD isn't just cold weather either. It is all related to LIGHT and since I have the reverse SAD, light, whether sunlight or artificial light, hurts my eyes. 50 years ago I got tinted contact lenses because the lights at work bothered my eyes. Wear sunglasses INSIDE????? Just as people with SAD need to sit under sunlamps, those with Reverse SAD have to stay OUT of bright light.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,358,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
But the OP thinks this is some sort of defect of character. It's not.
Exactly. Hearing that people fight over issues like this is just crazy. No one wants to be abnormally sensitive to cold or heat - but if they are, and they're uncomfortable, why shouldn't they want to find a way to fix it? To just tell them to buck up and tough it out seems silly to me.

Personally I have always adjusted well to all temperatures - I was never bothered all that much by either heat or cold. But then this year I got sick, and for much of the year I was super-sensitive to the heat - I could not tolerate it at all - and usually I LOVE the warm summer sun! Thankfully I am past that sensitivity - and I am back to enjoying the sun - and it's been 80 degrees where I live the past two weeks, and I have been LOVING IT! But going through a period where I was more sensitive, and where I couldn't tolerate the heat, was no fun. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

If you live with someone who needs to keep the thermostat a little higher or lower than the norm, I would urge you to be kind, and go along with it. They didn't choose to be sensitive - and it's no fun to be miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness