Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 AM

332 posts, read 528,789 times

Advertisements

Well, tomorrow I'm finally going to buy some new clothes for myself. What I especially need is new sneakers because you don't want to know what they smell like. Not that I want to put it out there, but I think I need to brush my teeth more often in order to avoid bad breath and have to get rid of the gap in my two front teeth.

I also notice my hand and toenails need some work too, plus probably when I'm wearing my sneakers, the back of my feet doesn't feel smooth even though most of the time it's not painful. And what has been an ongoing issue probably when I was a kid (I'm 23 now) is the bumps on my face even though a few times when I was on dating sites(I'm done with that now), out in the street, or send a woman a photo of myself through cell phone, some women around my age or younger think I look cute.

I do wash my hair, use body wash, and brush it once I'm finished with my shower every morning. But what I'm trying to do is something I want to apply in everyday life. I'm trying not to be so bored all the time and sit around the house, but during times when I'm not inside, I want to be able to look and feel good about myself. What do you think would be some cheap solutions to fix some of those hygiene problems that I've mentioned?

Thanks a lot everyone for your collaborative feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:06 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Get -two- new pairs of sneakers, of decent quality. If they're not all cloth uppers, then make sure the leather-like materials is REAL leather, or REAL suede. The vinyl/synthetic leather/suede traps moisture and feeds bacteria. Suede/leather allows your skin to breathe.

Wear one pair one day, switch to the other pair the next day. That gives your sneakers plenty of time to air out.

Wear them with COTTON socks. They don't have to be 100% cotton (though that would be preferred), but as close to 100% cotton as you can find and still have some stretch to them.

You say you wash your hair, use body wash, and brush it...are you saying you use body wash, to wash your hair? If that's what you mean by that, then stop doing that and use shampoo on your hair, and body wash on your body. If you mean you use body wash to wash your body hair, and then you brush your body hair, I don't know what to say - other than perhaps invest in a body wax session at a salon, and see a doctor about the growth. If you're referring to pubic hair - stop brushing it, and make sure you rinse the body wash out thoroughly before you get out of the shower.

Avoid -baths- and stick to showers, if you aren't already. When you bathe, you end up sitting in a tub filled with your own dirt. Unless you shower -before- you bathe, and that's just a real waste of water. Bathing should be done for luxury and relaxing, not for cleanliness.

Use a soap for your face that is meant to be used on your face. In other words, don't use deodorant or heavily-scented soap on your face. If your skin feels very tight and flakes a little, use a light facial moisturizer after washing.

A very important thing, that some people don't even pay attention to: make sure you are rinsed of all soap/wash products before towelling off. Even a little soap left on your skin can create rashes, or mix with your sweat to form pore clogs and subsequent zits and/or bacteria buildup.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Get -two- new pairs of sneakers, of decent quality. If they're not all cloth uppers, then make sure the leather-like materials is REAL leather, or REAL suede. The vinyl/synthetic leather/suede traps moisture and feeds bacteria. Suede/leather allows your skin to breathe.

Wear one pair one day, switch to the other pair the next day. That gives your sneakers plenty of time to air out.

Wear them with COTTON socks. They don't have to be 100% cotton (though that would be preferred), but as close to 100% cotton as you can find and still have some stretch to them.

You say you wash your hair, use body wash, and brush it...are you saying you use body wash, to wash your hair? If that's what you mean by that, then stop doing that and use shampoo on your hair, and body wash on your body. If you mean you use body wash to wash your body hair, and then you brush your body hair, I don't know what to say - other than perhaps invest in a body wax session at a salon, and see a doctor about the growth. If you're referring to pubic hair - stop brushing it, and make sure you rinse the body wash out thoroughly before you get out of the shower.

Avoid -baths- and stick to showers, if you aren't already. When you bathe, you end up sitting in a tub filled with your own dirt. Unless you shower -before- you bathe, and that's just a real waste of water. Bathing should be done for luxury and relaxing, not for cleanliness.

Use a soap for your face that is meant to be used on your face. In other words, don't use deodorant or heavily-scented soap on your face. If your skin feels very tight and flakes a little, use a light facial moisturizer after washing.

A very important thing, that some people don't even pay attention to: make sure you are rinsed of all soap/wash products before towelling off. Even a little soap left on your skin can create rashes, or mix with your sweat to form pore clogs and subsequent zits and/or bacteria buildup.
Well I do use shampoo to wash my hair, not body wash. I've been showering on a regular basis not long after my 11th birthday. And I use the body wash not for my body hair but all over my body. I actually don't have a lot of body hair on me.

Other than that, thanks for the detailed and helpful advice!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Good hygiene is a must! Ditto the suggestion for cotton socks. Definitely brush every morning and night. Flossing is good too, even 2-3 times a week is better than not at all. I had mild acne in my 20s and Proactiv really helped. Now Walmart has a generic version that works about the same (I still use it; I'm in my 30s now). It's in an orange and white bottle and is not too expensive. Keep your nails neat and trimmed and clean. And if you have rough skin on your feet, unless it's really bad ordinary moisturizer applied nightly after showering will take care of that.

Good for you, to be so motivated to better yourself! We all have things to work on.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Cetaphil makes both soap and liquid cleanser and moisturizer. It is very gentle and recommended by my dermatologist.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Get a girl friend to guide you through this process. If you try to do it on your own, you might be just making a fool of yourself.

She doesn't need to be a significant other or a romantic arrangement, just some nice lady who is willing to steer you through. Take her to dinner a few times. Lots of women love to do things like that.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Get a girl friend to guide you through this process. If you try to do it on your own, you might be just making a fool of yourself.

She doesn't need to be a significant other or a romantic arrangement, just some nice lady who is willing to steer you through. Take her to dinner a few times. Lots of women love to do things like that.
Worth a try!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Also if you have dry feet and or callouses use corn huskers oil on your feet then put cotton socks on at night. My uncle did that for years and his feet were soft and smooth. Also buy a pumice stone and use that on your heels in shower. Well groomed nails are a must for anyone, Clipped and filed. Maybe get a new haircut too. Good luck

Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Also if you have dry feet and or callouses use corn huskers oil on your feet then put cotton socks on at night. My uncle did that for years and his feet were soft and smooth. Also buy a pumice stone and use that on your heels in shower. Well groomed nails are a must for anyone, Clipped and filed. Maybe get a new haircut too. Good luck
Good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness