U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,265,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Iris View Post
Keep after your doctor for answers and if he does not want to help get a new doctor! Hives are usually caused by an allergy to something. Since hives can cause swelling in the face and throat your husband probably should have an Epi-pen for emergency treatment. talk to your doctor about it, hives can be serious!

In my case, hives certainly have been related to an allergic reaction. Could be as simple as a soap product, in my case I get them often when with certain incense and or candles are burning, also if some kitchen spices cause a reaction.

TexDave is right as well, stress can cause it in some people.

Interesting article which gives list of causes, make sure you see each page, list lots of causes.

Causes of Hives - Information About Causes of Hives

Stress is listed as well on this page
http://ezinearticles.com/?The-5-Comm...ves&id=2798217
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 AM

3,634 posts, read 9,229,895 times
I have had them twice in my life. In high school, I had several years of major hives which we finally figured out was due to citric acid. Oranges, lemons and additives of citric acid had to be removed from diet and the body eventually calmed down. Once on a cruise, I started to drink freshly squeezed orange juice every morning until I started to itch and break out.

Second time was when we moved to NC. Bought a newly built house. From the time we moved in until we left the state, I had increasingly bad hives. Feet would swell up for days, hands would itch and swell, etc. Doctor had me carry around an epipen.

As soon as we sold and left the house, the hives never reappeared. I attribute it to chemicals in the house or crawlspace.

My research determined that fully 80% of hive causes are not diagnosed. I had skin tests but was so sensitive that both my arms swelled completely and did scare the doctors/nurses somewhat. Since the whole area was swollen and red, it was impossible to figure out what. Prednisone was the miracle drug but they finally stopped giving me any. I used ice to reduce the itching and just lived with it. It was very unpleasant.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,411,192 times
My DH gets hives on his body from scented personal products such as deodorant and laundry detergent. Switch to unscented.

Gets hives on his hands when he gets gasoline on them from pumping his gas. He's got to be careful and wash as soon as possible.

Oh, and the glue/dye used in certain shoes--esp. Italian-made shoes, for some reason, give him outbreaks on his feet.

Hives are weird and can come from many causes.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Update on my own situation (I'm not the OP, but I had similar symptoms and posted about it in February):

After keeping track of when this was happening, and my activities within 1/2 hour of it happening, I finally discovered the culprit...you're not gonna believe this...

plastic bags.

Not just any plastic bags, but the ones the cashier puts your stuff in. I'm a cashier, and this was happening -most often- when I was at work. But then I noticed it happened when I was scooping the kitty litter. And it happened when I took the trash out. And it happened when I was carrying my bags home from the supermarket when I walked. But it was -not- happening, when I used my recycled fabric shopping bags or my backpack to carry my groceries in.

It turns out I am -also- allergic to my new eyeliner, but that just makes my eyes water and sting, doesn't affect my skin at all.

Is that the weirdest thing you've ever heard though? Allergic to grocery bags! Proof positive I was supposed to be a wealthy woman with a maid and personal assistant, and was switched at birth into the middle class!

When I decided I want to wear that eyeliner that day, I take a Zyrtec in the morning. That keeps my eyes clear, AND I don't get the welts on my skin that day. Good stuff.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 15,789 times
I started having hives at age 50, but it was never chronic. Then this year i got a cold that was lasting longer than a week, and i went to the doctor. They proscribed Z-Pac. My hands, and feet swelled up after taking it for a couple days. I got hives all over my body. I went to the emergency room because i was having dificulty breathing. I have never been alergic to antibiotics before. Now every day i get a mild case of Hives. I take Benadryl to fix it, but the hives come back every day. Just letting people know, Z-Pac or Azithromyacin can cause this, and i get hives every day now. The cold was on mothers day of this year, and now its the end of july, and i still get these things. Usually it moves around my body. Sometimes its on the arms, sometimes the legs, or torso. Anytime i slightly scratch that area, a red welt comes up raised up, and stays that way for an hour or so. Anyway, just be cautious of Z-Pac even if you have not had an alergic reaction to anything before (like in my case). Z-Pac almost killed me. Hopefully the chronic hives will go away one day, but i am not optimistic.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:06 PM

725 posts, read 1,320,922 times
You all really need to also look at the foods you eat.
Most foods these days are loaded with additives.
Try buying fresh veggies instead of frozen or canned.
Better still - grow your own.
Also buy only fresh meats (no sausage of any kind) and it would help if you made your own bread or eliminated it for a while. Most commercial bread isn't fit to feed the hogs. The smell alone is a big turn-off. Deli bread isn't much better, it is still loaded with additives.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:24 PM

11,394 posts, read 15,991,510 times
My chronic hives ended up being lymphoma. Luckily it was a slow growing lymphoma because I was misdiagnosed for 4/5 years!

Things to look out for in addition to itching - night sweats, back pain - especially pain that is sparked by alcohol, swollen lymph nodes, persistent cough or racing heart, trouble breathing, fatigue, weight loss. As you can see, lymphoma is hard to diagnose because so many of those symptoms are so vague!

99.9% of the time, chronic hives are caused by allergies or some other cause. But I wish someone had just done a chest xray and maybe I wouldn't have been at Stage IV when I was diagnosed.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:32 PM

3,634 posts, read 9,229,895 times
I had severe hives for 3 years getting progressively worse when we moved to North Carolina and into a new house. When we moved back home, the hives disappeared. The allergist could not figure out what was causing them and 80% never find the cause. I think it was the chemically laden new house.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM

30,307 posts, read 31,181,855 times
I have a second cousin who has severe hives all over her body and has seen several different types of doctors and received different medications but none of them have helped her.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:41 PM

5 posts, read 21,822 times
As of today I have had chronic hives since my second year of college (2000). I have been to an allergist, dermatatoligust, have had blood taking, nothing....really frustrating. Took Benedry the first time around but made me drowsy; took this topical white cream every time the hives started flaring. Now I'm only taking Zyrtec which it controls; every 2 days it flares up.

At first I thought it was apples. I stopped eating it for a few years and I was still itching. I haven't tried acupuncture yet which someone told me to try as well as Yoga which I haven't continued for the last few weeks!

I'm at a point where I just want to be free of this thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or