Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed back in the summer with Hypothyroidism and Pre-Diabetics. I was told by the Doc to watch what I eat, like cut down on potatoes and choose a whole grain bread. I have switched breads to "15 grain Pepperidge Farm" and "Coke Zero". I think Hypothyroidism put me into the Pro-Diabetic stage cause I never have health issues and was hit with all of this at once. I found a site to help me count my carbs but I was loosing too much weight between that and my low dose of Synthroid. My questions are as follows:
  1. Can I drink coffee after one hour of taking the meds
  2. I eat soy products and can I eat any soy products being on a low dose
  3. What can I eat being a vegetarian if I can't eat soy products
  4. I am back to eating potatoes and feel so full when I wake in the am that I don't feel like eating much, would brown rices be a better choice
  5. Any advice is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I was diagnosed hypothyroid a year or so ago, and I didn't change my diet. This is my only health issue. My doctor told me not to take iron within 4 hours of taking thyroid medicine.

I don't eat for 30-60 minutes after taking the medicine. But I have coffee a few times a week.

In terms of being pre-diabetic, you should increase your exercise. The exercise seems to help regulate blood sugar. And increase your intake of veggies.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Studies have shown that coffee can interfere with the absorption of synthroid. Advice is to wait an hour after taking your meds. Personally i find it works fine to take my meds at home and not have coffee until I get to work.

Soy products are known to induce goiter (enlarged thyroid) so personally I would avoid soy at all costs.

Hypothyroidism has the tendency to make people gain wait so if you are losing weight significantly you should consult with your doctor to determine if your dosage is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness