U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 PM

692 posts, read 786,094 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! First off, I would just like to thank you all for reading this thread and taking the time to respond and assist me with all of your answers. I truly appreciate it! Secondly, I am unsure whether or not this is the proper place to post this. If it is the incorrect place, I sincerely apologize.

My problem is this:

Recently, I have been experiencing stomach pain/nauseousness at night. This has been happening to me for just over a month now (the first time I experienced this, I remember was the night of December 6, 2011). This nauseousness has been occurring several times a week (anywhere from 2 to 4 times a week usually) since the initial time (again, December 6) and the "attacks" (for lack of a better word) vary in terms of their severity. Sometimes, it's just a mild nauseousness, and other times, it's very severe and my stomach just HURTS a lot and I constantly feel like I am going to vomit. With that being said, I have not actually vomited yet. At first, I thought maybe it was just something strange and that it would go away, but now I am really starting to worry.

As for my medical background:

I am a 19 year old (going on 20) male who has had a pretty typical life in medical/health terms. I do not have any severe sicknesses or diseases (that I know of). Obviously, I do get sick a few times throughout the year, but it's just "normal" stuff like colds, the occasional stomach flu (most recent time was in March 2011, but before that, not for years), etc. Only things "missing" are my tonsils and wisdom teeth. I am about 6 feet tall and weigh between 158 and 163 pounds and am a completely healthy individual who loves to work out and exercise and live an active life to the best of my ability. I am not depressed or stressed out or anything of the sort.

Like I previously stated, I have never experienced this before. It only started happening on December 6, 2011 and has been happening on and off now since then.

Someone mentioned to me that perhaps my blood sugar is low, so I try to "spike" it when this occurs sometimes by eating some fresh fruit, drinking some orange juice, etc. to get the level up. But if this was so, would this keep occurring again and again? And if so, only at night?

So, in summation, I just want some help in trying to figure out 1) what is happening to me? 2) Why this is happening to me? 3) What can I do to fix it (permanently and short term)? 4) Will this stay with me forever/ will it be something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life? , etc.

I just went back to my university for the start of the 2nd semester, but I am, however, going to be returning back home (in 11 days) briefly for a long weekend because I have a wedding that I am going to be in. I haven't really mentioned it to my parents yet, but if this persists, I'm planning on telling them when I get back and going to the doctor to try and get some help/ answers.

I greatly appreciate all of your answers and help! Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond! You do not know how much it means to me.

Hope you all have a fantastic day!

Last edited by CityLover9; 01-07-2012 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 PM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Did you do anything different than normal sometime before or on december 6th?...it's weird that it's only at night...could there be something new in your room that you've got an allergy to?...a new mattress?...something else?....does it still effect you if you sleep somewhere else, other than the ususal?..

Old 01-07-2012, 04:59 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Google HERD and see if the symptoms and causes fit. I only have trouble at night.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Did you do anything different than normal sometime before or on december 6th?...it's weird that it's only at night...could there be something new in your room that you've got an allergy to?...a new mattress?...something else?....does it still effect you if you sleep somewhere else, other than the ususal?..
Thank you for your response, purehuman.

I honestly cannot think of anything different. And, yes, unfortunately, it still happens to me no matter where I sleep. The first time it happened (on Dec. 6) I was actually still at school but it persisted once I went home for break and now is continuing again that I am back at school. One thing worth mentioning is that it doesn't happen while I'm actually sleeping. It happens when I'm away. Like I said, it's late at night (maybe starts around 10 or 11 or 12 or so) and I normally just end up going to sleep with it and then will be fine in the morning. I basically just put an end to it on the nights that I am experiencing it by going to sleep.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Google HERD and see if the symptoms and causes fit. I only have trouble at night.

HERD? I didn't find anything on HERD. Did you mean GERD perhaps?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
What do you eat/drink in the four hours before the attacks? Any sodas, anything acidy, or with caffeine? When do you exercise? Do you take any aspirin or ibuprofen or other OTC or prescribed meds before bed? Sounds like something is irritating your stomach/GI tract...

Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
HERD? I didn't find anything on HERD. Did you mean GERD perhaps?
Yes, damn autocorrect on my phone. I didn't catch it.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:20 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,366,635 times
Why wouldn't you just go to the doctor?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 AM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
What do you eat/drink in the four hours before the attacks? Any sodas, anything acidy, or with caffeine? When do you exercise? Do you take any aspirin or ibuprofen or other OTC or prescribed meds before bed? Sounds like something is irritating your stomach/GI tract...
CityLover9....good questions above....hope you figure it out...good luck

Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,613,675 times
You could have a mild ear infection that's causing an equilibrium imbalance. That would be my absolute first guess and I'd want to rule that out before looking into all kinds of blood tests. Also, blood sugar drops often come with headaches and dizziness and sudden fatigue (I get them whenever I'm hungry). You can rule -that- out, by having a single cracker (like, a saltine, or a ritz)...just one - around 15-20 minutes before you go to bed. Don't eat a meal, or even a snack-sized snack, because that will interfere with your sleep cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness