U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,041 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
Recently I have developed an ingrown toe and I have had it for about one or two months.
When it was first developing, I went to the doctor due to a little pain and I found out why it was this way. Now I know that it was from improper trimming and now I know how to trim them right (straight across and not in an arc).
My doctor said to grow it out and it will probably get better.
Then I asked my parents and apparently both my father and my older sister had similar instances with ingrown toes but theirs naturally grew out too.

Every day, I am soaking my feet in warm water with epsom salt once a day for about 30 minutes. Then right after, I dry my feet and put neosporin (anti bacterial cream) on it and put a band-aid on it. I have been wearing slippers as often as I can and shoes as least as I can.
I also do not run or play any athletic sports due to this. (Before I played soccer).

Moderator cut: not allowed I am wondering what I should do.
Please reply!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-22-2012 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,032 times
my son had ingrown toe nails he had them removed it was not bad did it right in dr office then the skin on top thickens after it heals and no more problems. I had ingrown toe nail when I was young and it was very painful I was always trying to dig it out on corners and it was miserable one day an old guy (Probably my age now lol) saw me sitting on a bench messing with my oh so sore nail and he said miss I know this sounds painful but when you get those cut out of the corners this time you then need to cut the nail straight across and then make a v cut in the center of your toenail all the way to the quick and as your nail grows out keep cutting it straight across top and and as it grows the v will close and let it grow slightly out beyond the end of your toe and keep it cut straight across and it will never bother you again. I did what he said and it was painful for about a week but I have never had a ingrown toe nail since and that was 20 years ago. Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Time to go back to the doctor. That infection should be gone by now. See a podiatrist.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,904,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greengal View Post
my son had ingrown toe nails he had them removed it was not bad did it right in dr office then the skin on top thickens after it heals and no more problems. I had ingrown toe nail when I was young and it was very painful I was always trying to dig it out on corners and it was miserable one day an old guy (Probably my age now lol) saw me sitting on a bench messing with my oh so sore nail and he said miss I know this sounds painful but when you get those cut out of the corners this time you then need to cut the nail straight across and then make a v cut in the center of your toenail all the way to the quick and as your nail grows out keep cutting it straight across top and and as it grows the v will close and let it grow slightly out beyond the end of your toe and keep it cut straight across and it will never bother you again. I did what he said and it was painful for about a week but I have never had a ingrown toe nail since and that was 20 years ago. Good luck with whatever you do.
The V cut works, when i clean my nails i always do the v cut on my big toe nail, just above the quik

Last edited by rural lady; 01-22-2012 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 AM

13,486 posts, read 29,434,352 times
I had ingrown nails on both my big toes at once back when I was a teenager, and they both got infected. I got some long-nosed tweezers and curled the ingrown part up, then cut it off. Once I did that and it healed I started cutting my nails with the V in the center like mentioned above, no more problems since.

Soaking them is useless in my opinion (other than maybe relieving pain), the only thing that will help is cutting them out.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 AM

8,317 posts, read 17,641,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
The V cut works, when i clean my nails i always do the v cut on my big toe nail, just above the quik

Please tell me you don't do this while out in public, sitting on a bench.

Years ago, my brother had an ingrown toenail and that's exaclty what he was told to do and it worked like a charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness